Talmud, OT and morality of god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-10-2015, 02:57 PM
RE: Talmud, OT and morality of god
(27-10-2015 02:52 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Yes!!! I just figured out how to post a picture!

Mazel Tov. Dodgy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-10-2015, 03:01 PM
(27-10-2015 02:46 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  So Aliza do you believe it is wrong for a service member to be held accountable for the UCMJ?

*Thinkerbelle. You don't even know who you're mad at. Dodgy

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
27-10-2015, 03:06 PM
(27-10-2015 02:51 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 02:46 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  So Aliza do you believe it is wrong for a service member to be held accountable for the UCMJ? Are you implying that service members think they are "better than thou" because they have to uphold these standards that they volunteered for? Is it wrong for me as an officer in the United States Armed Forces to demand from my Marines that they uphold those standards but not expect a civilian to do the same? Because your argument states that the answer is yes to all. Explain.

I don't know what UCMJ means, but I do think that judging people isn't really very nice. I think that holding someone to a certain standard of behavior can be problematic because that person might not be on that emotional level. Leniency is the key.
So as an officer in the United States Marine Corps, it is "problematic" to hold my Marines accountable for the Uniform Code of Military Justice aka the Military Laws after they volunteered to enlist in the Marine Corps knowing full well that such standards were in place?
27-10-2015, 03:07 PM
Ok. Hehe. Thinkerbelle.
27-10-2015, 03:10 PM
Aliza - The Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ) is the specific guidebook of laws that govern those in military service. They have far fewer rights and far more responsibilities than a normal citizen, for obvious reasons. It certainly is a higher standard than civilian law, and rightfully so. His point is that a person may take pride in the fact that they are a good officer, who holds herself to the highest standards of military law and honor, but they do not expect it of others who are not in the military, and do not look down on people who are not in the military who do not practice military rules-- because that would be silly.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
27-10-2015, 03:29 PM
(27-10-2015 03:06 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 02:51 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I don't know what UCMJ means, but I do think that judging people isn't really very nice. I think that holding someone to a certain standard of behavior can be problematic because that person might not be on that emotional level. Leniency is the key.
So as an officer in the United States Marine Corps, it is "problematic" to hold my Marines accountable for the Uniform Code of Military Justice aka the Military Laws after they volunteered to enlist in the Marine Corps knowing full well that such standards were in place?

Are the Uniform Code standards clearly written, without ambiguity and internal contradictions? Are the expectations easy to understand and clearly communicated? Is there general agreement across the Marine Corps as to how the regulations ought to be interpreted? Do recruits enter into formal agreements in a system that designates who is superior to them/can hold them accountable?

None of the above applies to the Bible/Christianity.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
27-10-2015, 03:32 PM
(27-10-2015 03:10 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Aliza - The Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ) is the specific guidebook of laws that govern those in military service. They have far fewer rights and far more responsibilities than a normal citizen, for obvious reasons. It certainly is a higher standard than civilian law, and rightfully so. His point is that a person may take pride in the fact that they are a good officer, who holds herself to the highest standards of military law and honor, but they do not expect it of others who are not in the military, and do not look down on people who are not in the military who do not practice military rules-- because that would be silly.
Thank you! Exactly! Now replace the words military with Christian, civilian with non-Christian, and UCMJ with the bible and you get roughly what I have been trying to say.
27-10-2015, 03:33 PM
(27-10-2015 03:06 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 02:51 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I don't know what UCMJ means, but I do think that judging people isn't really very nice. I think that holding someone to a certain standard of behavior can be problematic because that person might not be on that emotional level. Leniency is the key.

Maybe... This isn't exactly my area of expertise. Do you have Marines of your own? What exactly does that mean?

What does the Uniform Code of Military Justice mean? How does it apply to people? This sounds like a very complex problem for which I have absolutely no background at all.

Look, I'm the forum Jew, not the forum military expert.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
27-10-2015, 03:35 PM
(27-10-2015 03:29 PM)julep Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 03:06 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  So as an officer in the United States Marine Corps, it is "problematic" to hold my Marines accountable for the Uniform Code of Military Justice aka the Military Laws after they volunteered to enlist in the Marine Corps knowing full well that such standards were in place?

Are the Uniform Code standards clearly written, without ambiguity and internal contradictions? Are the expectations easy to understand and clearly communicated? Is there general agreement across the Marine Corps as to how the regulations ought to be interpreted? Do recruits enter into formal agreements in a system that designates who is superior to them/can hold them accountable?

None of the above applies to the Bible/Christianity.
True to an extent. But not entirely.
27-10-2015, 03:38 PM
(27-10-2015 03:33 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 03:06 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  So as an officer in the United States Marine Corps, it is "problematic" to hold my Marines accountable for the Uniform Code of Military Justice aka the Military Laws after they volunteered to enlist in the Marine Corps knowing full well that such standards were in place?

Maybe... This isn't exactly my area of expertise. Do you have Marines of your own? What exactly does that mean?

What does the Uniform Code of Military Justice mean? How does it apply to people? This sounds like a very complex problem for which I have absolutely no background at all.

Look, I'm the forum Jew, not the forum military expert.
I am currently in charge of over a hundred Marines. I am sorry if you don't understand. Regrettably it is the best analogy I can come up with.