Talmud, OT and morality of god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-10-2015, 04:01 PM (This post was last modified: 27-10-2015 04:13 PM by jason_delisle.)
RE: Talmud, OT and morality of god
Yut! Oorah! Semper fidelis!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-10-2015, 04:09 PM
Semper fidelis = "always faithful/loyal".

Semper fadelis = "always high" (faded). Tongue

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
27-10-2015, 04:10 PM
(27-10-2015 04:01 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Yut! Oorah! Semper fadelis!

* fidelis

Don't make me call No True Marine

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
27-10-2015, 04:12 PM
(27-10-2015 04:09 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Semper fidelis = "always faithful/loyal".

Semper fadelis = "always high" (faded). Tongue
Omg. Darn auto correct. But that is almost the case for some Marines.
27-10-2015, 04:13 PM
Corrected my post. Ha.
27-10-2015, 04:21 PM
It's the best laugh I've had in a while. Makes me almost (ALMOST, I SAID!!) thank the people who programmed the word-change choices in my Autocorrect software.

That shit drives me crazy when I try to use my phone to do Facebook. I have a really nice (huge-screened) phone, but I don't even attempt to come here from my phone unless I'm stuck somewhere and desperate to kill time.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
27-10-2015, 04:56 PM
(27-10-2015 02:27 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 02:00 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  My argument is with your use of the term "higher" standard. It's the whole "We christians are superior to you heathens" attitude. Why is your standard any higher than anyone else's standard?

And I am outraged when a person of any faith judges me according to their faith, whether they are perfect or not. Correction - I am outraged when a person of any faith judges me according to their faith and shoves it down my throat. You are free to think of me as you will. Just keep it to yourself.

BTW - bacon is a carcinogen. Even though I've been known to partake myself on occasion. Would you like it if I followed you around and told you this - loudly - every time you thought about a BLT just because I was a vegetarian?

It's not necessarily that anyone thinks this. It's that they proclaim it at 120 decibels ad nauseum. It gets tired real fast.
Please show me exactly where I said that Christians are held to a "higher standard". Because I don't remember ever saying the words "higher standards". So please don't put words in my mouth. I said Christians should be "held more accountable" as in "more accountable for the standards that are already in place in the bible. A standard that Christians accepted when they became Christians. An individual may have higher standards that what the bible has already laid out. You use bacon as a perfect example. I really don't care if bacon causes cancer and I am not expecting you to care if I think it's ok. Eating bacon is perfectly ok in the new testament.

Let me use yet another example you may understand. The military have to abide by the standards of the uniform code of military justice. It is usually a "higher standard" than most regulations civilians are held accountable for. Based on your logic, you assume that because military are held to a "higher standard" military must think they believe they are better than anyone else?

See your post #511, first sentence of the last paragraph.

I believe you are trying to understand. But in the journey you are unknowingly committing many of the verbal insults you aim to avoid.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
27-10-2015, 05:09 PM
(27-10-2015 04:56 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 02:27 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Please show me exactly where I said that Christians are held to a "higher standard". Because I don't remember ever saying the words "higher standards". So please don't put words in my mouth. I said Christians should be "held more accountable" as in "more accountable for the standards that are already in place in the bible. A standard that Christians accepted when they became Christians. An individual may have higher standards that what the bible has already laid out. You use bacon as a perfect example. I really don't care if bacon causes cancer and I am not expecting you to care if I think it's ok. Eating bacon is perfectly ok in the new testament.

Let me use yet another example you may understand. The military have to abide by the standards of the uniform code of military justice. It is usually a "higher standard" than most regulations civilians are held accountable for. Based on your logic, you assume that because military are held to a "higher standard" military must think they believe they are better than anyone else?

See your post #511, first sentence of the last paragraph.

I believe you are trying to understand. But in the journey you are unknowingly committing many of the verbal insults you aim to avoid.
About ripping christian bigots new ones?
27-10-2015, 05:13 PM
(27-10-2015 05:09 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 04:56 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  See your post #511, first sentence of the last paragraph.

About ripping christian bigots new ones?

About holding Christians to higher standards.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 3 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
27-10-2015, 05:42 PM
(27-10-2015 05:13 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  About holding Christians to higher standards.

Jason -

A part of your theology, without you realizing it, is that we are all terrible, terrible evildoers, and the only way to avoid this situation is to adopt Christian ideas, including divine guidance to avoid what the religion refers to as "sin". The logical conclusion from this premise (which, unfortunately, too many people seem to draw) is that atheists, being completely without Divine Guidance, must be the worst people on earth--- consequently, then, it's not reeeeeeally immoral to do things to us that they wouldn't do to fellow Believers, or anyone they considered fully human. ("It's only what atheists would expect, since they think they're just animals anyway!") It may sound silly to you, but that's exactly what happens with that, and all too many of us have experienced it personally. What happens in the name-calling here is extraordinarily mild by comparison to some of our real-life experiences.

I realize that, as an aspiring pastor/chaplain, you see your entire job as trying to hold yourself to a higher standard of moral behavior than is normal for humanity (even good-hearted, well-intentioned humans), and to try to encourage other members of your faith to live by those standards. I realize as well that your fondest hope is that your example of Christ-like behavior could somehow become so shiny that others will notice the shine, and want to know what your secret is. And I admire that aspect of Christianity. I really do!

Unfortunately, because you have swallowed a lot more cultural programming than I think you realize (not the religion itself, but the ideas that tend to circulate in the culture of that religious group), you tend only to see Christians in the light I just described, and accidentally turn a blind eye to the overall effect the practicioners of your religion is having on others. As long as I am rated as untrustworthy, hateful, amoral, etc., based on that passage in Romans and a lot of similar theological ideas to that one, I can never approve of calling the Christian moral code a "higher" one.

So although you see honor in your sense of religious code, and I agree and admire that hopeful and kind aspect of your beliefs, the fact is that most of the adherents of your religion (or more to the point, the combined "weight" of so many practicioners of that religion) cause a great deal of pain and suffering in this world, and in this country. And worse, they are seemingly either blind to the fact that it is happening, in the case of the best half among you, or else claiming that they are justified in acting as they do, in the case of the worst half among you.

[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post