Talmud, OT and morality of god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2015, 11:02 AM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2015 11:05 AM by Szuchow.)
RE: Talmud, OT and morality of god
(28-10-2015 09:38 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Now I explained earlier that from my understanding the abuse of children within the Christian faith is a result from the gross neglect of understanding of what is actually taught in the bible.

Proverbs 13:24 - Those who spare the rod of discipline hate their children. Those who love their children care enough to discipline them.

Proverbs 22:15 - Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far away.

From what I see Bible is hardly fit to provide sensible parental guidance.

(28-10-2015 09:38 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I can only assume that it is due to ignorance that extremists exist.

Or maybe extremists exists cause they think that holy book x is absolute and uncgangeable word of god which should be followed no matter what?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-10-2015, 12:05 PM
(28-10-2015 11:02 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 09:38 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Now I explained earlier that from my understanding the abuse of children within the Christian faith is a result from the gross neglect of understanding of what is actually taught in the bible.

Proverbs 13:24 - Those who spare the rod of discipline hate their children. Those who love their children care enough to discipline them.

Proverbs 22:15 - Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far away.

From what I see Bible is hardly fit to provide sensible parental guidance.

(28-10-2015 09:38 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I can only assume that it is due to ignorance that extremists exist.

Or maybe extremists exists cause they think that holy book x is absolute and uncgangeable word of god which should be followed no matter what?
So you think it is wrong to discipline your child? Or just to spank them? I am curious to how many children you have? Because I personally agree with all those scriptures you mentioned and a great majority of other parents feel the same. Does that make myself and many others unfit parents?
28-10-2015, 12:14 PM
(28-10-2015 09:35 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 08:57 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Now who is going to hold the atheist accountable when their personal standards are not being upheld?... Because the truth is that when it comes to "personal standard" you are saying that the only accountability you have is yourself and that you are the only thing protecting yourself from yourself. How well does that work for you?

It works out just fine for me, thankyouverymuch. I'm smart enough to know when I do wrong, and smart enough to know that doing bad things makes me feel bad. I'm smart enough to remember not to do those things again, because I don't like to feel bad. I don't need a nanny or a chaperone to tell me over and over what a horrid person I am, nor do I need to be protected from myself, whatever that means.

(28-10-2015 08:57 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  You are referring to old testament law.

The biggest cop out for christians. "Oh, it's in that ~other~ part of the book." If the OT is out of date, why not toss it? Why not admit you don't follow those rules anymore and just do away with it?

Your true colors are beginning to show.
I never said anything of the sort. Now you are making assumptions that are not true.
28-10-2015, 12:18 PM
(28-10-2015 12:05 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  So you think it is wrong to discipline your child? Or just to spank them?

To spank them.

(28-10-2015 12:05 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I am curious to how many children you have?

None.

(28-10-2015 12:05 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Because I personally agree with all those scriptures you mentioned and a great majority of other parents feel the same. Does that make myself and many others unfit parents?

Yes, I would say that make you and people agreeing with you unfit parents.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
28-10-2015, 12:28 PM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2015 12:35 PM by jason_delisle.)
With all do respect to everyone on this forum. When I tell you what my beliefs are and explain why. I don't care about what your opinion is. I am not looking for your opinion. In no way am I telling anyone here what they ought or ought not do. I am not saying I am better or worse than anyone. I have the impression that the intent from a lot of people here is that you really don't care about my thoughts or perspective. You only want to deconstruct and manipulate my words for your own entertainment. I believe what I believe and I explained why. I don't need anyone's justification or approval. If I showed the same amount of respect I have been given I would labeled as hateful and ignorant. You complain when people accuse atheist of being arrogant ass holes but there are a lot of people here that are only feeding the stereotype. If I showed this thread to any Christian how would the behavior that I see here change their opinions of atheist? I am being told that my true colors are coming out when all I do is try to defend myself? Well I argue that I see your true colors coming out.
28-10-2015, 12:32 PM
(28-10-2015 12:18 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 12:05 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  So you think it is wrong to discipline your child? Or just to spank them?

To spank them.

(28-10-2015 12:05 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I am curious to how many children you have?

None.

(28-10-2015 12:05 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Because I personally agree with all those scriptures you mentioned and a great majority of other parents feel the same. Does that make myself and many others unfit parents?

Yes, I would say that make you and people agreeing with you unfit parents.
Well now we are getting into a debate about parenting not religion. You raise your children how you see fit and I will raise mine how I see fit. My only recommendation is have a few of your own before you can give any advice on parenting. Because you have absolutely no idea what the reality of being a parent is. I however am a single father of three very rambunctious boys who every day try to find new and creative ways to get themselves hurt or killed.
28-10-2015, 12:35 PM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2015 12:49 PM by Szuchow.)
(28-10-2015 12:28 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  When I tell you what my beliefs are and explain why. I don't care about what your opinion is. I am not looking for your opinion.

Tough shit as it is public forum. Don't want your opinion discussed, don't post it.

(28-10-2015 12:28 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I have the impression that the intent from a lot of people here is that you really don't care about my thoughts or perspective.

You're just some guy from internet. Why exactly I should really care about your thoughts?

(28-10-2015 12:28 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  You only want to deconstruct and manipulate my words for your own entertainment.

And persecution complex is showing.

(28-10-2015 12:28 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I believe what I believe and I explained why.

Believing is root of your problems.

(28-10-2015 12:28 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  If I showed the same amount of respect I have been given I would labeled as hateful and ignorant.

I show you the same ammount of respect that I feel you're giving.

(28-10-2015 12:28 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  You complain when people accuse atheist of being arrogant ass holes but there are a lot of people here that are only feeding the stereotype. If I showed this thread to any Christian how would the behavior that I see here change their opinions of atheist?

Another persecuted theist who is thinking that atheists are assholes cause they don't agree with him. Nothing new under the sun.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
28-10-2015, 12:36 PM
(28-10-2015 12:14 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 09:35 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  It works out just fine for me, thankyouverymuch. I'm smart enough to know when I do wrong, and smart enough to know that doing bad things makes me feel bad. I'm smart enough to remember not to do those things again, because I don't like to feel bad. I don't need a nanny or a chaperone to tell me over and over what a horrid person I am, nor do I need to be protected from myself, whatever that means.

The biggest cop out for christians. "Oh, it's in that ~other~ part of the book." If the OT is out of date, why not toss it? Why not admit you don't follow those rules anymore and just do away with it?

Your true colors are beginning to show.
I never said anything of the sort. Now you are making assumptions that are not true.

That was not a direct quote from you. It was a synopsis of many christians who come on here, make their claims, then disavow anything we dredge up from the OT.

You said:
"You are referring to old testament law. Without things getting out of hand you should read what I posted in the thread regarding that topic. Basically Jesus raised the standards."

If the standards were raised, then the old standards are not in place anymore. The old standards are out of date, just as v 3.4 is out of date when v 3.7 is released.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
28-10-2015, 12:36 PM
(27-10-2015 03:33 PM)Aliza Wrote:  What does the Uniform Code of Military Justice mean? How does it apply to people?

It's a bunch of legal mumbo jumbo that not even the military lawyers understand. The punitive articles were all we were ever taught.

(27-10-2015 03:33 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Look, I'm the forum Jew, not the forum military expert.

You mean we got 2 now?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
28-10-2015, 12:41 PM
(28-10-2015 12:32 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  My only recommendation is have a few of your own before you can give any advice on parenting.

I won't give you any reccomendations but I'll repeat. If you spank your children I deem you unfit as a parent.

(28-10-2015 12:32 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Because you have absolutely no idea what the reality of being a parent is.

So one must be a parent to know that beating children is bad? Grow up.

(28-10-2015 12:32 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I however am a single father of three very rambunctious boys who every day try to find new and creative ways to get themselves hurt or killed.

And you bravely save them from it by not sparing the rod. Congratulations Rolleyes.

Mikhail Bakunin.