Talmud, OT and morality of god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2015, 03:04 PM
RE: Talmud, OT and morality of god
(28-10-2015 03:01 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Well then! I misunderstood your intentions. Thank goodness we finally have an educated Christian on this forum to help us understand the bible and guide us in the right direction.

Did I just detected heavy note of sarcasm? Or I just see everything as a sarcasm?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
28-10-2015, 03:05 PM
(28-10-2015 02:02 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 01:46 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  If you are referring that holding Christians accountable to the very doctrine they claim to represent a "persecution complex"? Then no. I will not let go of my "persecution complex" and there is nothing you or anyone can say or do to change my opinion on that.

I'm not holding you to your doctrine. I'm not especially well-versed in Christian doctrine. Except maybe for a few parts. I do expect you to be polite to people. I think we all expect it! Especially given that you're on foreign ground. If you are not polite to people, then understand that there will be consequences for your actions.

If you apologize for your actions, also understand that it will have to be followed up with a genuine change in your behavior. You can't just say sorry, and then keep doing the same thing over and over. Maybe that kind of thing flies with Christians, but it doesn't fly here.

I have to say, though, I'm utterly flabbergasted that common courtesy isn't a default part of your personality. I very rarely have to encounter people who simply cannot trace resulting actions down to their origins.

YOU ARE BEING RUDE. You are being presumptuous, and you are not behaving as proper guest in someone else's home. Your beliefs don't factor into the equation. IF YOU ARE RUDE, THEN EXPECT BACKLASH. This is intuitive for almost ever other human on the planet.
So I said I was praying for everyone and people found that to be rude and offensive. After some dialogue I concluded that because of the Christian bubble that I am surrounded in, I was ignorant on how offensive that could be to an atheist. I apologized (apparently that's offensive too) and I learned from it and never said it again. I say I will hold Christians accountable for their actions as I would expect other Christians to hold me accountable for my actions. Apparently that is a "persecution complex " . Yet when I said I will not force someone who is not a Christian follow the teachings of a religion the do not believe, I am assumed to be saying that I think Christians are better than atheist because I hold them to a "higher standard". Then I am told that myself and anyone who spanks their children an "unfit parent" by some 24 year old without any kids of their own. So who is being rude and who is provoking whom?
28-10-2015, 03:13 PM
(28-10-2015 03:04 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 03:01 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Well then! I misunderstood your intentions. Thank goodness we finally have an educated Christian on this forum to help us understand the bible and guide us in the right direction.

Did I just detected heavy note of sarcasm? Or I just see everything as a sarcasm?
It's ok. I am not saying that I am the end all be all authority of the bible. I just want to help as much as possible and I want to be careful not to feed you crap. All I really want is to be a good Chaplain and help people. That includes atheist. But I need everyone's help and support to make sure I don't screw up in the field. I rather unknowingly say something rude or offensive on a forum full o people I will probably never have the pleasure of meeting that to do it to someone who is coming to me with suicidal intentions in their heads. Does that make sense? That is why I want to know if anything I say or do is offensive. But if it is my faith itself that is offensive I can't help you.
28-10-2015, 03:14 PM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2015 03:25 PM by Szuchow.)
(28-10-2015 03:05 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  So I said I was praying for everyone and people found that to be rude and offensive.

Surprise, surprise. I do not need help from whatever imagined deity you pray to. But I already wrote about that, no sense repeating myself.

(28-10-2015 03:05 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I say I will hold Christians accountable for their actions as I would expect other Christians to hold me accountable for my actions.

I would like to see you admonishing some of your friend for looking at waitress as it apparently is adultery Rolleyes. Though apart from you apparently supporting concept of thought crimes is nothing more than side point.

(28-10-2015 03:05 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Apparently that is a "persecution complex " .

Your persecution complex is clearly shown elsewhere - http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid885726

(28-10-2015 03:05 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Then I am told that myself and anyone who spanks their children an "unfit parent" by some 24 year old without any kids of their own. So who is being rude and who is provoking whom?

I don't feel that you deserve nice response so I'll say it frankly and less than politely. Banging a chick and making her pregnant does not make you a good parent.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
28-10-2015, 03:16 PM
Do you think you can help an atheist in emotional distress without once referring to your own religious beliefs?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
28-10-2015, 03:17 PM
(28-10-2015 03:13 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 03:04 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Did I just detected heavy note of sarcasm? Or I just see everything as a sarcasm?
It's ok. I am not saying that I am the end all be all authority of the bible. I just want to help as much as possible and I want to be careful not to feed you crap. All I really want is to be a good Chaplain and help people. That includes atheist. But I need everyone's help and support to make sure I don't screw up in the field. I rather unknowingly say something rude or offensive on a forum full o people I will probably never have the pleasure of meeting that to do it to someone who is coming to me with suicidal intentions in their heads. Does that make sense? That is why I want to know if anything I say or do is offensive. But if it is my faith itself that is offensive I can't help you.

Yes, it makes perfect sense. Thank you so much!
28-10-2015, 03:25 PM
(28-10-2015 03:13 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  All I really want is to be a good Chaplain and help people. That includes atheist. But I need everyone's help and support to make sure I don't screw up in the field.
The most important thing here is that each of us is different. You may be looking for the "atheist opinion" or the "atheist feeling." There's no such thing.

The only thing that ties us together is a lack of belief in gods. Some say they know 100% there are no gods. Others say they've never seen proof so they don't believe. Others were never raised with religion, so they don't understand how anyone would believe.

I think you're looking for one or two things that will help atheists. I'm glad you care enough to want to help atheists as a chaplain, but I have the feeling it will be harder than you think.

Some atheists are offended by "God bless you." Some don't care.

Some atheists are offended by hearing someone offers a prayer. Some don't care.

Some atheists are offended by a chaplain offering help, concerned they'll try to convert. Some don't care.

Some atheists automatically distrust theists, usually Christians, because they immediately toss Hell threats. Most theists don't, and some atheists don't care or laugh.

Some atheists confront theists on their beliefs. Some don't.

Some atheists know holy books better than practitioners. Some don't care.

Atheists only have one thing in common: no gods. There are good atheists and there are asshole atheists. There are good Christians and there are asshole Christians. Same with Jews, Buddhists, Hindus, Wiccans, and so on.

Pick your battles.
[+] 11 users Like Clockwork's post
28-10-2015, 03:37 PM
(28-10-2015 12:50 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  How many people on this forum who have children ever gave them a spanking?

I slapped fingers from the stove. The younger kid would have preferred a Spanking just to get it over with.

There are far better ways of disciplining children that don't use any corporal punishment.

To me spanking is a bit lazy. *shrig*

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
28-10-2015, 03:38 PM
(28-10-2015 12:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 12:48 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Has anyone here tried to resin with a punk 12 year old? Why do I feel like I am getting that here?

It would take an awful lot of resin.

Belief is the death of resin.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 3 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
28-10-2015, 03:40 PM
(28-10-2015 12:55 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 12:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  DLJ is a faux Jew. Drinking Beverage

I don't think so... I think he's the real deal.

Having discovered he had some Jewish ancestry not until he was an adult doesn't make him Jewish except by Judaism's rules.

He never practiced the religion nor experienced the culture. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user