Talmud, OT and morality of god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2015, 06:51 PM
RE: Talmud, OT and morality of god
(28-10-2015 06:05 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 06:05 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That's precisely what a poe would ask.

I got a pm from someone else asking the same question.

Thanks! I have not received the secret decoder ring in the mail yet.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-10-2015, 06:53 PM
(28-10-2015 06:51 PM)skyking Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 06:05 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I got a pm from someone else asking the same question.

Thanks! I have not received the secret decoder ring in the mail yet.

Girly explains things much better than I. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
28-10-2015, 06:55 PM
(28-10-2015 06:25 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Well, by the time I'm through with him, he'll be splashing down in the pool of a mikvah, getting his ordination as a Rabbi! I'll get him straightened out.

I want that!

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
28-10-2015, 06:58 PM
(28-10-2015 06:42 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 06:40 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Isn't is strange that in the 21st century that more people are interested in deleting history than making history?

I completely agree! I find it counterproductive for Christians to try to convert people to their religion. It will only delay the coming of the Messiah.
I was trying to make another terrible joke about people deleting their browser history. Lol
28-10-2015, 07:07 PM
(28-10-2015 06:42 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 06:22 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Really? Future chaplain?

I hope not.

I've seen nothing about his conduct befitting of a Marine Corps Captain let alone a Chaplain. And how does a Marine Corps Company Commander have so much free time to dick with atheists?
Just out of curiosity, and I really am curious, what exactly is it that you find unbecoming of an officer other than my religious convictions?
28-10-2015, 07:12 PM
(28-10-2015 06:51 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 06:43 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  So what is your take on the commandments in leviticus and Deuteronomy?

Well, when read properly with the accompanying Talmud, then I think those books spell out clear, compassionate laws that are totally doable by all Jews throughout all time. G-d tells us in the Torah very clearly: the law is not distant to us. We can keep it very easily.
Are all the laws found in the Talmud also found in the old testament of the bible? If not, did Moses write those laws as well? If so, why do you believe they were not included in the bible?
28-10-2015, 07:18 PM
(28-10-2015 07:07 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 06:42 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I've seen nothing about his conduct befitting of a Marine Corps Captain let alone a Chaplain. And how does a Marine Corps Company Commander have so much free time to dick with atheists?
Just out of curiosity, and I really am curious, what exactly is it that you find unbecoming of an officer other than my religious convictions?

The fact that you are here at all. A Marine Corps Company Commander would not have time to be here at all, let alone for hours upon hours. And a Marine Corps Captain would have better sense than to keep posting your shit. And if I was a Marine they would be paying for my divinity classes to become a chaplain, I wouldn't be paying for it myself. Let's ask GWoG. GWoG did the USN pay for your advanced education even in religious studies? In short, I don't believe you. You do not display the maturity and discipline of a Marine Corps Company Commander. Doesn't matter though. Carry on. It's still fun.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
28-10-2015, 07:18 PM
doublay postay

#sigh
28-10-2015, 07:33 PM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2015 07:57 PM by Aliza.)
You know what the best part about God’s law is, Jason?

People don’t have to believe in him to live happy, productive lives. If God is real, and I believe that he is, then why would he make himself invisible and then punish people for eternity for not believing in him? The truth is, God doesn’t need you to believe in him. If you want to, then go for it. I personally believe it will be a benefit to your life. But he doesn’t need it, and he doesn’t need you to get on an atheist forum and preach on his behalf.

If G-d needed anything from his creation, then he wouldn’t be infinite. He’d be finite, and that’s not what God is. God also doesn’t need gentiles to follow the Torah.

He laid out seven simple rules for all people on earth to follow. This is the REAL path to “salvation.”

1. Don’t curse God.
2. Don’t worship Idols.
3. Don’t commit sexual sins. (ie: don’t cheat on your spouse)
4. Don’t murder people.
5. Don’t eat meat torn from a live animal.
6. Set up a system of laws.
7. Set up a court system to enforce those laws.

Nowhere on the list does it say anything about needing to worship God. I don’t have to worry about the folks on this forum; they’re doing just fine without my help.

The people on this forum intuitively understood that blind faith in a fairy man who punishes you with eternal hell doesn’t make sense. Those that were stuck in Christianity had the intelligence and personal strength to question the harmful values of that religion and leave, risking their standing in their communities and families. That’s an amazing personal transformation and I have nothing but respect for it.

Edit: Toned down. (Thanks, Julep!)
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
28-10-2015, 07:34 PM
(28-10-2015 07:18 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 07:07 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Just out of curiosity, and I really am curious, what exactly is it that you find unbecoming of an officer other than my religious convictions?

The fact that you are here at all. A Marine Corps Company Commander would not have time to be here at all, let alone for hours upon hours. And a Marine Corps Captain would have better sense than to keep posting your shit. And if I was a Marine they would be paying for my divinity classes to become a chaplain, I wouldn't be paying for it myself. Let's ask GWoG. GWoG did the USN pay for your advanced education even in religious studies? In short, I don't believe you. You do not display the maturity and discipline of a Marine Corps Company Commander. Doesn't matter though. Carry on. It's still fun.
I could have the Marine Corps pay for my education through the tuition assistance program. I just chose not to because that would require a two year extension to my contract. As you may or may not know, the Marine Corps does not have chaplains. The Marine Corps gets their chaplains from the Navy. So I have to finish my contract before I can become a chaplain and I don't want to add to my service obligation. Yes, I am a Captain in the Marines. I am in charge of over a hundred aircraft maintainers and I am a UH-1Y pilot. I use the tapatalk app on my phone and I always have my phone on my person. So if I have time to respond to a text I also have time for the wonderful people on this forum.
[+] 2 users Like jason_delisle's post