Talmud, OT and morality of god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2015, 07:59 PM
RE: Talmud, OT and morality of god
(28-10-2015 07:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I accepted, happily.

I can say with comfortable-for-a-diehard-skeptic certainty that this guy is The Real Deal™, now.

So everybody calm down, please. Smile

Was somebody excited?

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-10-2015, 08:00 PM
double fucking post again WeepingWeeping

#sigh
28-10-2015, 08:01 PM
(28-10-2015 08:00 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 07:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I accepted, happily.

I can say with comfortable-for-a-diehard-skeptic certainty that this guy is The Real Deal™, now.

So everybody calm down, please. Smile

Was someone excited?

I was. Just a tad. Julep talked me down off the ledge.
28-10-2015, 08:13 PM
Before I call it a night, does anyone know where I can find a starwars jawa costume for a 4 year old?
28-10-2015, 08:16 PM
There is no shame in honest ignorance. Only willful ignorance. A person is is entitled to defend any opinion, however it may seem based on ignorance to us; of course, in his view, ours is the same. I think we assumed he was lying to us, and doubted his intentions, and that is more than understandable. Many of the "sniffs" of a Poe were there. I have explained to him why this is so. I think he is genuine, and really wants to try to understand us-- asking us why we don't think what he thinks, and saying "but what about...?" is going to be part of it. It just sounds too good to be true because we have been lied to so much.

I believe he did not know that what he had heard about us was incorrect, and both sides made bad assumptions about the other, right off the bat. I say we try to wipe the slate and get to know one another. As a chaplain who actually understands us, he may do some heart-hurting atheists in combat zones a world of good. I have had many, many conversations with clergymen that were not about faith; some of them have degrees in science, understand physics and biology, and are eager to have a chance to talk about science with anyone. Others tend to know history, which can be fascinating to talk about.

My own Southern Baptist pastor was a US Army (Reserve) Major and also a Chaplain. He had done his time on active. I have nothing but fondness and respect for that man, even though he and I would disagree on almost everything (including science). He was a good-hearted man who earnestly desired to help people with everything he had. There are a few of them. We find their religious indoctrination of children, etc, just as horrible as they think we are for keeping those "teachings" from our children... but that is why a secular nation allows a person's religious beliefs to be private, and freely practiced. So that we might all be friends.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
28-10-2015, 08:19 PM
Jason,

I don't want to talk about religion with you anymore. I do, however, want to sincerely apologize. I was rude to you, and I recognize now just how rude I was. It's not nice!

I also want to pledge that I will not repeat the behavior again, because when I put myself in your shoes, I can imagine that how much I must have hurt you. -I don't want to hurt people; not anyone.

Again, I'm sorry.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
28-10-2015, 08:50 PM
(28-10-2015 08:13 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Before I call it a night, does anyone know where I can find a starwars jawa costume for a 4 year old?

Laugh out load

That's the funniest creepy thing I've heard today.

With or without the lightbulb eyes?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
28-10-2015, 09:17 PM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2015 09:56 PM by Chas.)
(28-10-2015 01:26 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 01:06 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Nothing wrong with provoking if one can take the heat that results from it.
Ok guys. I will go to senseativity training to learn how not to get an atheist offended and provoked because apparently it is very easy to do.

You are a passive-aggressive asshole. Drinking Beverage

You lack any self-awareness or insight into other people. You will not make for an effective chaplain.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
28-10-2015, 09:18 PM
(28-10-2015 04:19 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 04:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  Is the Jew-Scale objective? Consider

How did he score much of anything when he never lived it in any way? Facepalm

I learned this skill from my mother and my aunt, who learned it from their mother. My mother used to point Jews out in the mall and grocery store. She'd say to me, "See that lady over there with the glasses?" and I'd scan the room and nod my head. My mom would just go, "Jewish."

And if anyone challenged her judgment, she would actually go up to that person and ask them.

.... This is how I was raised. It's not my fault. Weeping

DLJ is a Jew. He just is.

Well, that's a load of woo. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
28-10-2015, 09:24 PM
(28-10-2015 09:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 04:19 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I learned this skill from my mother and my aunt, who learned it from their mother. My mother used to point Jews out in the mall and grocery store. She'd say to me, "See that lady over there with the glasses?" and I'd scan the room and nod my head. My mom would just go, "Jewish."

And if anyone challenged her judgment, she would actually go up to that person and ask them.

.... This is how I was raised. It's not my fault. Weeping

DLJ is a Jew. He just is.

Well, that's a load of woo. Drinking Beverage

What do you do for a living?
What's your name?
Where were you educated?
What city do you live in?
Mayonnaise or Mustard?
Do you have a self-deprecating sense of humor?
Are you religious?
Are you conservative or liberal?
Do you end every sentence like it's a question?

Stuff like that.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post