Talmud, OT and morality of god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2015, 05:58 AM
RE: Talmud, OT and morality of god
(29-10-2015 05:46 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(29-10-2015 05:45 AM)Aliza Wrote:  I'd be interested in conducting a test, to see if I can accurately pick my tribesmen out of a group. Is anyone up to playing along with me?

I am.

What should I do? Smile

Find a few profiles of people online -like on wikipedia. Find a few famous Jews, Jews in Media, Jews in science, Jews in .... any field. Whatever you can mine from wikipedia. Be sure to get a few gentiles with similar info. Try to get Americans for this first round, since that's what I'm most familiar with. I would ideally like to see a picture, a name, and maybe grandparents names and birth locations, but that might be making it too easy anyway and it makes it too easy for me to google them.

But look for a complete profile with information about where they were born, where they were educated, what their major was, what they're doing for a living, where they live now. Hobbies... uh, political affiliations (don't list the obviously Jewish ones!). Try to get really good profiles that you can pull information from if I have questions. -Try to get locations where grandparents were born, if such locations are listed. -Oh! Jobs of parents and grandparents.

Don't pick converts to Judaism. I won't be able to pick them out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2015, 06:05 AM
(29-10-2015 05:58 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(29-10-2015 05:46 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I am.

What should I do? Smile

Find a few profiles of people online -like on wikipedia. Find a few famous Jews, Jews in Media, Jews in science, Jews in .... any field. Whatever you can mine from wikipedia. Be sure to get a few gentiles with similar info. Try to get Americans for this first round, since that's what I'm most familiar with. I would ideally like to see a picture, a name, and maybe grandparents names and birth locations, but that might be making it too easy anyway and it makes it too easy for me to google them.

But look for a complete profile with information about where they were born, where they were educated, what their major was, what they're doing for a living, where they live now. Hobbies... uh, political affiliations (don't list the obviously Jewish ones!). Try to get really good profiles that you can pull information from if I have questions. -Try to get locations where grandparents were born, if such locations are listed. -Oh! Jobs of parents and grandparents.

It's sadly too much work to be lighthearted fun.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
29-10-2015, 06:07 AM
(29-10-2015 06:05 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(29-10-2015 05:58 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Find a few profiles of people online -like on wikipedia. Find a few famous Jews, Jews in Media, Jews in science, Jews in .... any field. Whatever you can mine from wikipedia. Be sure to get a few gentiles with similar info. Try to get Americans for this first round, since that's what I'm most familiar with. I would ideally like to see a picture, a name, and maybe grandparents names and birth locations, but that might be making it too easy anyway and it makes it too easy for me to google them.

It's sadly too much work to be lighthearted fun.

ROFL!
29-10-2015, 06:08 AM
(29-10-2015 06:07 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(29-10-2015 06:05 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  It's sadly too much work to be lighthearted fun.

ROFL!

I really can't think of another way to do it without making it too easy for me to google them. =\
29-10-2015, 06:19 AM
Aliza,

This thread is getting a little big Smile Perhaps it would be best to split you're tribe-spotting posts into a new thread?

OK with that?

29-10-2015, 06:20 AM
(28-10-2015 07:58 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I can say with comfortable-for-a-diehard-skeptic certainty that this guy is The Real Deal™, now.

Amazing how much a little actual evidence does for making a claim believable.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
29-10-2015, 06:20 AM
(29-10-2015 06:19 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Aliza,

This thread is getting a little big Smile Perhaps it would be best to split you're tribe-spotting posts into a new thread?

OK with that?

Nah, no need. Unless someone wants to play.
29-10-2015, 06:21 AM
(29-10-2015 06:08 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(29-10-2015 06:07 AM)Aliza Wrote:  ROFL!

I really can't think of another way to do it without making it too easy for me to google them. =\

Maybe someone else would be willing to play?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
29-10-2015, 06:24 AM
Aliza - I recommended to him via Facebook chat, last night, that he read Viktor Frankl's "Man's Search for Meaning", which helped me greatly when I was innocent and locked in an isolation cell, to be psychologically tortured by people who wanted me to confess and give up names (when there was no crime and no one to name)... I found it on the roving book cart. (Best thing about being wronfully imprisoned for nearly a decade is you get a chance to read a lot of books you otherwise would always have kept in the "need to read that, someday" queue.)

I know of course that your people are not defined by the Holocaust, but he had expressed both an interest in learning about Jews and we had discussed how his religion had helped him deal with tragedy, so I thought it might be helpful to him in both regards.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
29-10-2015, 06:25 AM
Yeah, but I don't want to open up a new thread called, "SPOT THE JEW". Someone from the KKK will wander on here and get the wrong idea.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post