Talmud, OT and morality of god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2015, 07:29 AM
RE: Talmud, OT and morality of god
Hey everyone. I won't be as active on this forum much today. I have to fly in an few. I just wanted to recap some of the things I learned during my short time on this forum.

1. I had absolutely no idea how ignorant I was when it came to atheism. I only assumed I knew because I lived with a few. The only thing that atheists have in common is their disbelief in a god or gods. But everyone is different. So it was wrong for me to make generalized assumptions about atheists because I only know the views of a few individuals.

2. I have learned that there is a huge double standard that atheist have to confront and they deal with it on a daily basis. I would go insane if I was always assumed to be a heathen just because of my beliefs and treated as such.

3. Because of the constant attacks from theists, it is only natural for an atheist to raise their guard when being approached by a theist. I think it would be perfectly understandable to show skepticism toward a theist who claims to "only want to understand atheist".

4. I have a terrible sense of detecting sarcasm in texts. Perhaps a sarcasm alert may be in order until I better understand everyone's sense of humor.

5.Most atheist are not atheist because they are ignorant on the beliefs of theist. Rather it is because they chose to question them. Many atheist grew up in religious homes and some even worked in ministry. I would argue that a majority of atheist know more about the bible than most Christians! With that being said, there is no need for me to try and "correct" or "explain" anything about my religion. Because the majority know. So for now on I will simply give you my take my understanding of scripture if the question is raised. Otherwise I will just focus on learning from my mistakes so I can be a better chaplain and better understand how I can protect their religious freedoms in the military.

5. Apparently saying that i am looking for a Jawa costume for a 4 year old is a little creepy.....yeah it does sound creepy.

Please let me know if i got anything wrong. I assure everyone that I am legit. I hope I don't offend anyone here anymore but I more than likely will. All I ask is that if I do say something offensive, please don't assume it was intentional. Rather believe that it was out if ignorance and lack up understanding. But please correct me. Thank you all.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like jason_delisle's post
29-10-2015, 07:35 AM
(29-10-2015 07:18 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 06:43 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  So what is your take on the commandments in leviticus and Deuteronomy? I am also curious about what Jews think about Matthew 1 when they say that Jesus was not from the house of David?

Well, I'm not a Jew (Damn it! Now I can't play the "Spot the Jew" game), but as for Matthew 1: It claims that Joseph, the stepfather of Jesus, was descended from David. However, it also claims that Joseph was not the actual father of Jesus, so I don't see how Joseph's descent matters. Maybe by some legal definition, Jesus was "of the house of David" (perhaps Aliza could clear that up), but he was not a physical descendant of David -- except maybe through Mary (some people have actually made this claim, but I see no evidence of it in the Bible or anywhere else).

It's interesting that Luke also claims Davidic ancestry for Joseph, but does so through a completely different genealogy. This, among other things, leads me to mistrust both genealogies.
Ah. So because Joseph was the step dad, why does his bloodline even matter? The focus should have been on Mary's bloodline. Just a general question for everyone, does anyone feel that perhaps the reason why atheist are confronted so often by theist is because they view atheist as a "free agent" and everyone is trying to get the atheist on their team?
[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post
29-10-2015, 07:35 AM (This post was last modified: 29-10-2015 07:40 AM by DLJ.)
(29-10-2015 07:29 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  ...
So it was wrong for me to make generalized assumptions about atheists because I only know the views of a few individuals.

Yes. It's wrong to generalise.

All christians do that all the time.

Tongue

it is only natural for an atheist to raise their guard when being approached by a theist.

Not all of us get defensive. Some of us have a justifiable superiority complex.

Girl_nails

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
29-10-2015, 07:37 AM
(29-10-2015 07:35 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
So it was wrong for me to make generalized assumptions about atheists because I only know the views of a few individuals.

Yes. It's wrong to generalise.

Tongue
Ah. Sarcasm! I found it😀
[+] 2 users Like jason_delisle's post
29-10-2015, 07:39 AM
Ok got to go do some chopper'n. Yut!
29-10-2015, 07:44 AM
(29-10-2015 07:37 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(29-10-2015 07:35 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Yes. It's wrong to generalise.

Tongue
Ah. Sarcasm! I found it

Not sarcasm ... irony.

Pffft!

29-10-2015, 07:47 AM
(29-10-2015 07:35 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(29-10-2015 07:18 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Well, I'm not a Jew (Damn it! Now I can't play the "Spot the Jew" game), but as for Matthew 1: It claims that Joseph, the stepfather of Jesus, was descended from David. However, it also claims that Joseph was not the actual father of Jesus, so I don't see how Joseph's descent matters. Maybe by some legal definition, Jesus was "of the house of David" (perhaps Aliza could clear that up), but he was not a physical descendant of David -- except maybe through Mary (some people have actually made this claim, but I see no evidence of it in the Bible or anywhere else).

It's interesting that Luke also claims Davidic ancestry for Joseph, but does so through a completely different genealogy. This, among other things, leads me to mistrust both genealogies.
Ah. So because Joseph was the step dad, why does his bloodline even matter? The focus should have been on Mary's bloodline. Just a general question for everyone, does anyone feel that perhaps the reason why atheist are confronted so often by theist is because they view atheist as a "free agent" and everyone is trying to get the atheist on their team?

The reason that the bloodlines matter is because Christians are claiming that Jesus is the Jewish messiah. They boldly state that Jews have "missed the boat" in failing to recognize Jesus, and that we're all going to hell because of it.

The claim is that Jesus is the Messiah that the Jews were anticipating, and so those claims should be able to be substantiated in the Jewish scriptures. -But they're not. They're in fact in opposition to the Jewish definition of Messiah.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
29-10-2015, 07:53 AM
(29-10-2015 07:47 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(29-10-2015 07:35 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Ah. So because Joseph was the step dad, why does his bloodline even matter? The focus should have been on Mary's bloodline. Just a general question for everyone, does anyone feel that perhaps the reason why atheist are confronted so often by theist is because they view atheist as a "free agent" and everyone is trying to get the atheist on their team?

The reason that the bloodlines matter is because Christians are claiming that Jesus is the Jewish messiah. They boldly state that Jews have "missed the boat" in failing to recognize Jesus, and that we're all going to hell because of it.

The claim is that Jesus is the Messiah that the Jews were anticipating, and so those claims should be able to be substantiated in the Jewish scriptures. -But they're not. They're in fact in opposition to the Jewish definition of Messiah.
I agree with you about the bloodlines which is why I find it interesting that Joseph's bloodline was used because he was the stepfather.
29-10-2015, 07:53 AM
Flight is delayed until 1600z.
29-10-2015, 07:55 AM
(29-10-2015 07:53 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(29-10-2015 07:47 AM)Aliza Wrote:  The reason that the bloodlines matter is because Christians are claiming that Jesus is the Jewish messiah. They boldly state that Jews have "missed the boat" in failing to recognize Jesus, and that we're all going to hell because of it.

I agree with you about the bloodlines which is why I find it interesting that Joseph's bloodline was used because he was the stepfather.

You'll have to work out those reasons within your own religion. Whatever reason you find will unlikely be able to be supported in Judaism.