Talmud, OT and morality of god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2015, 11:00 AM
RE: Talmud, OT and morality of god
(30-10-2015 06:22 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Question everyone. Batman vs Superman or Starwars: the force awakens? You could only watch one.
I stood in line to see the first Star Wars, Alien, and The Lost Ark. I was younger then and able to stand in line without needing to catch my breath. And these movies were the first of their kind, more or less. Alien still rates as the scariest movie I've ever seen.

But I don't understand the hype about these 77th sequels. Every damn one of them is the product of the studio marketing division wringing every dime they can out of seeing the same explosions, the same CGI whizmos and worst of all, the same moth eaten cliches from a different camera angle and frankly, I ain't interested.

Also, I prefer the drama of gripping dialogue. I'll watch the Henry Fonda Twelve Angry Men for the 90th time before I'll sit through Star Wars Episode 66 for the first time. Or the BBC Alec Guinness production of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Or the James Stewart Flight of the Phoenix. THOSE are worth waiting to see, again and again. Well, that's my taste anyway.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Airportkid's post
30-10-2015, 11:06 AM
(30-10-2015 11:00 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(30-10-2015 06:22 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Question everyone. Batman vs Superman or Starwars: the force awakens? You could only watch one.
I stood in line to see the first Star Wars, Alien, and The Lost Ark. I was younger then and able to stand in line without needing to catch my breath. And these movies were the first of their kind, more or less. Alien still rates as the scariest movie I've ever seen.

But I don't understand the hype about these 77th sequels. Every damn one of them is the product of the studio marketing division wringing every dime they can out of seeing the same explosions, the same CGI whizmos and worst of all, the same moth eaten cliches from a different camera angle and frankly, I ain't interested.

Also, I prefer the drama of gripping dialogue. I'll watch the Henry Fonda Twelve Angry Men for the 90th time before I'll sit through Star Wars Episode 66 for the first time. Or the BBC Alec Guinness production of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Or the James Stewart Flight of the Phoenix. THOSE are worth waiting to see, again and again. Well, that's my taste anyway.
You are not even curious who would win a battle between batman and superman? What is wrong with you? That is the most epic battle in history? Btw...I got my bet on batman, he always busts out the kryptonite. Wink
[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post
30-10-2015, 11:23 AM
(30-10-2015 11:06 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  You are not even curious who would win a battle between batman and superman? What is wrong with you?

Oh, a whole lot, evidently. But it's a lot more fun. Tongue
30-10-2015, 12:00 PM
Batman and Superman could just work together:

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
30-10-2015, 12:11 PM
If women are nothing but time and money and money is the root of all evil then women are nothing but time and the root of evil. However, since time is money, then women are nothing but the root of evil times the root of evil making women the root of evil squared. So if the square cancels the root, does that mean women are nothing but evil?
30-10-2015, 12:15 PM
(30-10-2015 12:11 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  If women are nothing but time and money and money is the root of all evil then women are nothing but time and the root of evil. However, since time is money, then women are nothing but the root of evil times the root of evil making women the root of evil squared. So if the square cancels the root, does that mean women are nothing but evil?

Crickets
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
30-10-2015, 12:15 PM
(30-10-2015 12:15 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(30-10-2015 12:11 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  If women are nothing but time and money and money is the root of all evil then women are nothing but time and the root of evil. However, since time is money, then women are nothing but the root of evil times the root of evil making women the root of evil squared. So if the square cancels the root, does that mean women are nothing but evil?

Crickets
Wink
30-10-2015, 12:25 PM
Jason - That's a very old joke, but we're (most of us) pretty die-hard feminists, around here. Making "women!" jokes is probably not going to generate applause.

On the other hand, I'll tell you my favorite atheist/Christian joke:

An atheist dies and goes to Hell. Obviously, he is very surprised! But there's no denying it; right in front of him are the great black gates, Cerberus the three-headed dog standing watch, "abandon all hope" sign arcing above it. The doors open slowly, and there he is, Satan himself, all ten feet of red-skinned, goat-horned and -hoofed, bat-winged nightmare. In a deep, booming voice that shakes the ground, he says, "Welcome to Hell, lost soul. Come, and I will show you your eternal destiny."

Trembling with fear, the atheist follows Satan into Hell, but is not really listening to what Satan is saying because he is so mesmerized with the sight of the huge, bat-winged demonic creature in front of him. Still, after they have gone a short way, he notices it's a beautiful, sunny day, and he manages to look around.

Everywhere he looks, he sees beauty. Rolling hillsides with comfy shade-trees, under which people sit picnicking and laughing. Amusement parks in the distance, with shrieks of the overjoyed on the roller-coasters. He sees video game centers and hang glider rentals and even orgy nooks. Everyone is having the time of their (after-) lives.

Having dropped back, Satan notices he has lost his tourist, so he doubles back to talk to the atheist.

"Oh man, I'm so sorry," he says. "I should probably have led with that part. I always forget! All that stuff you heard about Hell? Yeah it's all nonsense. You can have anything you want, here. Anything! The stuff you heard was just propaganda for the other side, trying to win converts. Can you blame 'em? Don't worry, we're totally cool, here. If you want anything, and I mean anything, just ask, okay?"

Greatly relieved, the atheist can finally smile as they continue their tour. And it's great... until, without warning, they crest a hilltop and he sees it: the Lake of Fire, stretching out over billions of tortured souls, screaming and wailing in agony as their flesh is charred from their bones by the molten sulfur, only to heal back. The atheist recoils in horror!

"Whoa whoa whoa! Relax," Satan assures him, "that's just for the Catholics." He shrugs. "They insisted!"

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
30-10-2015, 01:20 PM

Dude, do you even math?

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
30-10-2015, 01:26 PM
(30-10-2015 01:20 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  

Dude, do you even math?

[Image: eea66d9ddf26de478f51abf47b2ed380.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post