Talmud, OT and morality of god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2015, 01:52 PM
RE: Talmud, OT and morality of god
(30-10-2015 01:26 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(30-10-2015 01:20 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  Dude, do you even math?

[Image: eea66d9ddf26de478f51abf47b2ed380.jpg]

Pffft. Obviously not. Any 4th-grader would know the answer is "Orange. Because cows." Don't make it more complicated than it is.

<Flips hair. Exits stage right.>

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
30-10-2015, 04:18 PM
(30-10-2015 12:25 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Jason - That's a very old joke, but we're (most of us) pretty die-hard feminists, around here. Making "women!" jokes is probably not going to generate applause.

On the other hand, I'll tell you my favorite atheist/Christian joke:

An atheist dies and goes to Hell. Obviously, he is very surprised! But there's no denying it; right in front of him are the great black gates, Cerberus the three-headed dog standing watch, "abandon all hope" sign arcing above it. The doors open slowly, and there he is, Satan himself, all ten feet of red-skinned, goat-horned and -hoofed, bat-winged nightmare. In a deep, booming voice that shakes the ground, he says, "Welcome to Hell, lost soul. Come, and I will show you your eternal destiny."

Trembling with fear, the atheist follows Satan into Hell, but is not really listening to what Satan is saying because he is so mesmerized with the sight of the huge, bat-winged demonic creature in front of him. Still, after they have gone a short way, he notices it's a beautiful, sunny day, and he manages to look around.

Everywhere he looks, he sees beauty. Rolling hillsides with comfy shade-trees, under which people sit picnicking and laughing. Amusement parks in the distance, with shrieks of the overjoyed on the roller-coasters. He sees video game centers and hang glider rentals and even orgy nooks. Everyone is having the time of their (after-) lives.

Having dropped back, Satan notices he has lost his tourist, so he doubles back to talk to the atheist.

"Oh man, I'm so sorry," he says. "I should probably have led with that part. I always forget! All that stuff you heard about Hell? Yeah it's all nonsense. You can have anything you want, here. Anything! The stuff you heard was just propaganda for the other side, trying to win converts. Can you blame 'em? Don't worry, we're totally cool, here. If you want anything, and I mean anything, just ask, okay?"

Greatly relieved, the atheist can finally smile as they continue their tour. And it's great... until, without warning, they crest a hilltop and he sees it: the Lake of Fire, stretching out over billions of tortured souls, screaming and wailing in agony as their flesh is charred from their bones by the molten sulfur, only to heal back. The atheist recoils in horror!

"Whoa whoa whoa! Relax," Satan assures him, "that's just for the Catholics." He shrugs. "They insisted!"
Bwahahaha
30-10-2015, 10:12 PM
(30-10-2015 05:07 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  It is ok Chas. If I get ordained you will be the first to get an invitation to the ceremony.

Please don't trouble yourself. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-10-2015, 10:19 PM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2015 10:28 PM by Chas.)
(30-10-2015 07:18 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(30-10-2015 06:33 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Double feature? How could I have been so narrow minded. See! I am getting sarcasm!Big Grin

Well, you are starting to recognize humor and that's a big step forward. Thumbsup

We'll work on discriminating between sarcasm, irony, pathos, hyperbole, and other variations later.
Drinking Beverage

Never having been a theist I'm curious though... do they often have a hard time recognizing the humor, especially dark humor, in situations and in people's actions and responses? One of the things I really appreciate in people is the ability to see the humor in even the most serious situation and the most strongly held position. The ability to laugh at yourself is important.

“The literal mind is baffled by the ironic one, demanding explanations that only intensify the joke. "
― Christopher Hitchens

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-10-2015, 10:22 PM
(30-10-2015 11:06 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  You are not even curious who would win a battle between batman and superman? What is wrong with you? That is the most epic battle in history? Btw...I got my bet on batman, he always busts out the kryptonite. Wink

Well, that is interesting in exactly the way that arguing which religion is more true is interesting. Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
31-10-2015, 12:26 AM (This post was last modified: 31-10-2015 12:29 AM by Free Thought.)
(30-10-2015 11:06 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  You are not even curious who would win a battle between batman and superman? What is wrong with you? That is the most epic battle in history? Btw...I got my bet on batman, he always busts out the kryptonite. Wink

It has been shown on several occasions that Batman can and will beat Superman if they come to blows; Batman is a lunatic who spends all his time divided between planning to defeat his enemies (and following through), social engagements, and planning to defeat his allies, so of course he'll win. He knows all their weaknesses and how to exploit them while he has kept himself an enigma.

However, I think those conclusions are bullshit.

Supes can fire lasers out of his eyes with enough power to level buildings or with such accuracy as to perform a lobotomy. He can survive being in the centre of nuclear explosions. The vacuum of space does not faze him, nor the crushing depths of the sea. He can move at speeds greater than the Flash if he decides. He can pull planets through space across the expanses of the universe. He can destroy entire solar systems with a sneeze. He has HELD A BLACK HOLE.

If Superman went up against Batman and really let lose, it would be over in an less than an instant.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
31-10-2015, 08:16 AM
(31-10-2015 12:26 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  

It has been shown on several occasions that Batman can and will beat Superman if they come to blows; Batman is a lunatic who spends all his time divided between planning to defeat his enemies (and following through), social engagements, and planning to defeat his allies, so of course he'll win. He knows all their weaknesses and how to exploit them while he has kept himself an enigma.

Supes can fire lasers out of his eyes with enough power to level buildings or with such accuracy as to perform a lobotomy. He can survive being in the centre of nuclear explosions. The vacuum of space does not faze him, nor the crushing depths of the sea. He can move at speeds greater than the Flash if he decides. He can pull planets through space across the expanses of the universe. He can destroy entire solar systems with a sneeze. He has HELD A BLACK HOLE.

If Superman went up against Batman and really let lose, it would be over in an less than an instant.
But that is one of Superman's weaknesses that Batman exploits. His morality. Superman could easily destroy batman with a blink of an eye but batman knows he wont do it. Superman does not want to kill batman and i would even go as far to say he would allow himself to be martyred before he would willingly kill someone out of rage. The episode from the clip you showed is evidence of that.
31-10-2015, 09:00 AM (This post was last modified: 31-10-2015 09:06 AM by GirlyMan.)
(31-10-2015 08:16 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  But that is one of Superman's weaknesses that Batman exploits. His morality.

The Übermensch has no morality, silly. He is beyond good and evil.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
31-10-2015, 09:20 AM
(31-10-2015 08:16 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(31-10-2015 12:26 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  It has been shown on several occasions that Batman can and will beat Superman if they come to blows; Batman is a lunatic who spends all his time divided between planning to defeat his enemies (and following through), social engagements, and planning to defeat his allies, so of course he'll win. He knows all their weaknesses and how to exploit them while he has kept himself an enigma.

But that is one of Superman's weaknesses that Batman exploits. His morality. Superman could easily destroy batman with a blink of an eye but batman knows he wont do it. Superman does not want to kill batman and i would even go as far to say he would allow himself to be martyred before he would willingly kill someone out of rage. The episode from the clip you showed is evidence of that.

If we assume the 'battle' isn't much of a battle, than I might agree. I took 'battle' as implying that only one of them comes out of it. And that one would be Superman.

If we follow non death-battle logic, it still doesn't matter; supes still wins. Because he could easily lobotomise Batsy or simply break all of his limbs, among many other options which would all be equally trivial to the Man of OP.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
31-10-2015, 10:21 AM
(31-10-2015 09:20 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(31-10-2015 08:16 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  But that is one of Superman's weaknesses that Batman exploits. His morality. Superman could easily destroy batman with a blink of an eye but batman knows he wont do it. Superman does not want to kill batman and i would even go as far to say he would allow himself to be martyred before he would willingly kill someone out of rage. The episode from the clip you showed is evidence of that.

If we assume the 'battle' isn't much of a battle, than I might agree. I took 'battle' as implying that only one of them comes out of it. And that one would be Superman.

If we follow non death-battle logic, it still doesn't matter; supes still wins. Because he could easily lobotomise Batsy or simply break all of his limbs, among many other options which would all be equally trivial to the Man of OP.
But how can Superman do that when superman looses all those powers when batman uses his kryptonite suit?