Taoism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2011, 06:43 PM
Taoism
I’m an avid reader of the primary Taoist texts—Lao Tzu, Chuang Tzu and Lieh Tzu—and they influence much of my thinking. I’m a believer, of sorts.

Occasionally I head out looking for folks familiar with and critical of the central text of Taoism, the Tao Te Ching. Seems unsafe to let your beliefs go unchallenged.

Hoping some here are able and willing to intelligently share what they find objectionable in Lao Tzu’s writings.

I realize Taoism falls between deism and theism, and this forum is for theism/atheism discussion. Apologize if anyone takes offense at me posting here.

Paddy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2011, 09:03 PM
RE: Taoism
I personally do not find Taoism threatening, but I believe in nothing that is not material to this world. The one component I do like is the reverence for nature and moderation. Aristotle would probably like Taoism even though he was an atheist as he saw virtue as moderation based.
11-10-2011, 10:08 PM
(11-10-2011 09:03 PM)Thomas Wrote:  I personally do not find Taoism threatening, but I believe in nothing that is not material to this world. The one component I do like is the reverence for nature and moderation. Aristotle would probably like Taoism even though he was an atheist as he saw virtue as moderation based.

Thanks for responding, Thomas. I’ve encountered a number of people who identified themselves simultaneously as atheist, or agnostic, and Taoist. Additionally, I’ve encountered Christians and Muslims, and a Jew, who also identified themselves as Taoists. I’m not sure what that means, but it’s interesting.
11-10-2011, 10:29 PM
Being deeply loved makes you strong.
While loving deeply gives you courage.

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
11-10-2011, 11:19 PM
I don't have a good handle on the spiritualism movement, but if you look at the UK only 45% are still traditional religious and many have moved to spiritualism. What appears to be happening is that people are turning away from the traditional religions, but are still in need of a spiritual belief. Maybe this is why the CMJ sector is also saying that they are Taosits. They may have one foot out the door and the other still in for political reasons. Big question mark there.

I have come to the conclusion that the 86% of Americans who are Christians are not all true believers. If you consider true belief to mean absolute belief in an afterlife, Christians access lifesaving medical treatment at an equal rate to non-religious. The simple conclusion is that they don't really believe. They may be playing the safe political strategy or they are just hoping it's true.

I have less of a feel for Jews and Muslims, but 90% of American Jews are non-religious if I remember correctly (fact check that). That leaves the door open for anything spiritual, if they are so inclined.
13-10-2011, 05:22 PM
I'm an atheist with tao. There is nothing not real about tao. I just work with tao te ching. I don't know from taoism, though.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user