Target Practice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2014, 04:02 PM
Target Practice
One of my closest friends is a Christian. Every so often he'll recommend a religious book to me. This recent weekend he went to a youth camp and came home with a book called "Gods at War" by Kyle Idleman.

The back of the book reads:

"In gods at war, Kyle Idleman, bestselling author of not a fan, helps every believer recognize there are false gods at war within each of us, and they battle for the place of glory and control in our lives. What keeps us from truly following Jesus is that our hearts are pursuing something or someone else. While these pursuits may not be the “graven images” of old, they are in fact modern day idols. Behind the sin you’re struggling with, the discouragement you’re dealing with, the lack of purpose you’re living with is a false god that is winning the war for your heart."

In the back of the book is an excerpt from "Not a Fan" by Idleman. I didn't read the chapter, but the summary of the books reads:

"Are you a follower of Jesus? Don’t answer too quickly. In fact, you may want to read this book before you answer at all. Consider it a “Define the Relationship” conversation to determine exactly where you stand. You may indeed be a passionate, fully devoted follower of Jesus. Or, you may be just a fan who admires Jesus but isn’t ready to let him cramp your style. Then again, maybe you’re not into Jesus, period. In any case, don’t take the question—Are you a follower of Jesus?—lightly. Some people don’t know what they’ve said yes to and other people don’t realize what they’ve said no to, says Pastor Kyle Idleman. But Jesus is ready to clearly define the relationship he wants with his followers. Not a Fan calls you to consider the demands and rewards of being a true disciple. With frankness sprinkled with humor, Idleman invites you to live the way Jesus lived, love the way he loved, pray the way he prayed, and never give up living for the One who gave his all for you."

My friend has known for the longest of my nonreligious beliefs, and even told me he didn't mind. It never distanced our friendship at all, surprisingly. It gave us something to talk about- or, well, mostly argue about. After the arguments became a too unbearable, we stopped talking about religion. Yet he often recommends me these bogus books, and I feel a bit insulted. He insisted that after he reads both books, I should read them and we should talk about them.

All the while, I am like Dodgy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-09-2014, 04:11 PM
RE: Target Practice
MAke him a deal.
Book for a book.

That would give you some interesting talks
[+] 10 users Like RogueWarrior's post
23-09-2014, 04:13 PM (This post was last modified: 23-09-2014 04:16 PM by Nurse.)
(23-09-2014 04:02 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  One of my closest friends is a Christian. Every so often he'll recommend a religious book to me. This recent weekend he went to a youth camp and came home with a book called "Gods at War" by Kyle Idleman.

"In gods at war, Kyle Idleman, bestselling author of not a fan, helps every believer recognize there are false gods at war within each of us, and they battle for the place of glory and control in our lives. What keeps us from truly following Jesus is that our hearts are pursuing something or someone else. While these pursuits may not be the “graven images” of old, they are in fact modern day idols. Behind the sin you’re struggling with, the discouragement you’re dealing with, the lack of purpose you’re living with is a false god that is winning the war for your heart."

In the back of the book is an excerpt from "Not a Fan" by Idleman. I didn't read the chapter, but the summary of the books reads:

"Are you a follower of Jesus? Don’t answer too quickly. In fact, you may want to read this book before you answer at all. Consider it a “Define the Relationship” conversation to determine exactly where you stand. You may indeed be a passionate, fully devoted follower of Jesus. Or, you may be just a fan who admires Jesus but isn’t ready to let him cramp your style. Then again, maybe you’re not into Jesus, period. In any case, don’t take the question—Are you a follower of Jesus?—lightly. Some people don’t know what they’ve said yes to and other people don’t realize what they’ve said no to, says Pastor Kyle Idleman. But Jesus is ready to clearly define the relationship he wants with his followers. Not a Fan calls you to consider the demands and rewards of being a true disciple. With frankness sprinkled with humor, Idleman invites you to live the way Jesus lived, love the way he loved, pray the way he prayed, and never give up living for the One who gave his all for you."

My friend has known for the longest of my nonreligious beliefs, and even told me he didn't mind. It never distanced our friendship at all, surprisingly. It gave us something to talk about- or, well, mostly argue about. After the arguments became a too unbearable, we stopped talking about religion. Yet he often recommends me these bogus books, and I feel a bit insulted. He insisted that after he reads both books, I should read them and we should talk about them.

These books sound like my youth pastors at the southern baptist churches I had to attend. Are you SURE you're REALLY a christian? How do you know that you know that you know that you know?

Enter altar call. Just as I am with out one plea... "Don't let this opportunity pass you by!" But that thy blood was shed for me... "Do you know if you'd go to heaven if you died tonight?" Oh Lamb of God I come, I come.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
23-09-2014, 04:14 PM
Lend him some Hitchens, Dawkins, Barker, Harris or Ehrman in return.

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 4 users Like CiderThinker's post
23-09-2014, 05:01 PM
If your friend falls for such absurd garbage you need a new friend.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
23-09-2014, 05:06 PM
So there are other gods battling for us?

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
23-09-2014, 05:22 PM (This post was last modified: 23-09-2014 05:30 PM by Nurse.)
(23-09-2014 05:06 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  So there are other gods battling for us?

Edited since the first video didn't link - the point is that they are indoctrinated with the idea that there is a battle for their souls. We atheists are the enemy.

Seems to be a common theme for contemporary Christians. The battle is the hearts of our youth vs satan.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
23-09-2014, 05:25 PM
Remember - God is a jealous god...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
23-09-2014, 05:27 PM
(23-09-2014 04:02 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  One of my closest friends is a Christian. Every so often he'll recommend a religious book to me. This recent weekend he went to a youth camp and came home with a book called "Gods at War" by Kyle Idleman.

Gods at war within us? All this time I just thought it was indigestion.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
23-09-2014, 06:22 PM
(23-09-2014 04:13 PM)Nurse Wrote:  

These books sound like my youth pastors at the southern baptist churches I had to attend. Are you SURE you're REALLY a christian? How do you know that you know that you know that you know?

Enter altar call. Just as I am with out one plea... "Don't let this opportunity pass you by!" But that thy blood was shed for me... "Do you know if you'd go to heaven if you died tonight?" Oh Lamb of God I come, I come.
Ah yeah. I know that song. It brings everybody forward... Then you gotta stay in church an extra hour while everybody confesses and gets prayed for Dodgy

Ferdi, I agree with the book for a book thing. Read and make notes, have your friend read something and make notes.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post