Target Practice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-09-2014, 12:42 AM
RE: Target Practice
(23-09-2014 09:54 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  
(23-09-2014 05:06 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  So there are other gods battling for us?

Gwyneth Paltrow. Shy

Where in the fuck is HoC? Consider

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-09-2014, 12:44 AM
(24-09-2014 12:31 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(23-09-2014 04:02 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  One of my closest friends is a Christian. Every so often he'll recommend a religious book to me. This recent weekend he went to a youth camp and came home with a book called "Gods at War" by Kyle Idleman.

The back of the book reads:

"In gods at war, Kyle Idleman, bestselling author of not a fan, helps every believer recognize there are false gods at war within each of us, and they battle for the place of glory and control in our lives. What keeps us from truly following Jesus is that our hearts are pursuing something or someone else. While these pursuits may not be the “graven images” of old, they are in fact modern day idols. Behind the sin you’re struggling with, the discouragement you’re dealing with, the lack of purpose you’re living with is a false god that is winning the war for your heart."

In the back of the book is an excerpt from "Not a Fan" by Idleman. I didn't read the chapter, but the summary of the books reads:

"Are you a follower of Jesus? Don’t answer too quickly. In fact, you may want to read this book before you answer at all. Consider it a “Define the Relationship” conversation to determine exactly where you stand. You may indeed be a passionate, fully devoted follower of Jesus. Or, you may be just a fan who admires Jesus but isn’t ready to let him cramp your style. Then again, maybe you’re not into Jesus, period. In any case, don’t take the question—Are you a follower of Jesus?—lightly. Some people don’t know what they’ve said yes to and other people don’t realize what they’ve said no to, says Pastor Kyle Idleman. But Jesus is ready to clearly define the relationship he wants with his followers. Not a Fan calls you to consider the demands and rewards of being a true disciple. With frankness sprinkled with humor, Idleman invites you to live the way Jesus lived, love the way he loved, pray the way he prayed, and never give up living for the One who gave his all for you."

My friend has known for the longest of my nonreligious beliefs, and even told me he didn't mind. It never distanced our friendship at all, surprisingly. It gave us something to talk about- or, well, mostly argue about. After the arguments became a too unbearable, we stopped talking about religion. Yet he often recommends me these bogus books, and I feel a bit insulted. He insisted that after he reads both books, I should read them and we should talk about them.

All the while, I am like Dodgy

But why read the books, when you can watch someone else read and critique them for you?

An Atheist Reads The Case for Christ

An Atheist Reads Mere Christianity

An Atheist Reads Reasonable Faith

An Atheist Reads The Purpose-Driven Life

An Atheist Reads I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist

An Atheist Reads Evidence That Demands a Verdict

An Atheist Reads The Reason for God

An Atheist Reads Simply Christian

An Atheist Reads Ray Comfort

This guy is like, a hero... I don't know how he has the patience but he's performed a labour saving service here.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
24-09-2014, 12:46 AM
(24-09-2014 12:42 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(23-09-2014 09:54 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  Gwyneth Paltrow. Shy

Where in the fuck is HoC? Consider

Probably just taking one of his old man breaks. He still gets on Facebook to bitch about Diablo though.
24-09-2014, 12:48 AM
(24-09-2014 12:44 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(24-09-2014 12:31 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  But why read the books, when you can watch someone else read and critique them for you?

This guy is like, a hero... I don't know how he has the patience but he's performed a labour saving service here.

He is easily my favorite YouTube Atheist personality.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
24-09-2014, 12:49 AM
(24-09-2014 12:31 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(23-09-2014 04:02 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  One of my closest friends is a Christian. Every so often he'll recommend a religious book to me. This recent weekend he went to a youth camp and came home with a book called "Gods at War" by Kyle Idleman.

The back of the book reads:

"In gods at war, Kyle Idleman, bestselling author of not a fan, helps every believer recognize there are false gods at war within each of us, and they battle for the place of glory and control in our lives. What keeps us from truly following Jesus is that our hearts are pursuing something or someone else. While these pursuits may not be the “graven images” of old, they are in fact modern day idols. Behind the sin you’re struggling with, the discouragement you’re dealing with, the lack of purpose you’re living with is a false god that is winning the war for your heart."

In the back of the book is an excerpt from "Not a Fan" by Idleman. I didn't read the chapter, but the summary of the books reads:

"Are you a follower of Jesus? Don’t answer too quickly. In fact, you may want to read this book before you answer at all. Consider it a “Define the Relationship” conversation to determine exactly where you stand. You may indeed be a passionate, fully devoted follower of Jesus. Or, you may be just a fan who admires Jesus but isn’t ready to let him cramp your style. Then again, maybe you’re not into Jesus, period. In any case, don’t take the question—Are you a follower of Jesus?—lightly. Some people don’t know what they’ve said yes to and other people don’t realize what they’ve said no to, says Pastor Kyle Idleman. But Jesus is ready to clearly define the relationship he wants with his followers. Not a Fan calls you to consider the demands and rewards of being a true disciple. With frankness sprinkled with humor, Idleman invites you to live the way Jesus lived, love the way he loved, pray the way he prayed, and never give up living for the One who gave his all for you."

My friend has known for the longest of my nonreligious beliefs, and even told me he didn't mind. It never distanced our friendship at all, surprisingly. It gave us something to talk about- or, well, mostly argue about. After the arguments became a too unbearable, we stopped talking about religion. Yet he often recommends me these bogus books, and I feel a bit insulted. He insisted that after he reads both books, I should read them and we should talk about them.

All the while, I am like Dodgy

But why read the books, when you can watch someone else read and critique them for you?

THIS GUY IS THE GREATEST. I now want to email him these books I've been recommended.
[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post
24-09-2014, 02:26 AM
(23-09-2014 09:54 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  I've offered that suggestion but I doubt he'd ever actually touch a Dawkins book if place in front of him. The mere act of him suggesting these books to me is okay in his eyes, but if I even so much as placed Dawkins or Hitchens in front of him, he'd most likely get angry and go on about me trying to deconvert him... when he suggesting Christian books to me is pretty hypocritical.
Exactly. He's trying to deconvert you from reason and science. The difference is, you are strong in your "faith", but he's not. Method-based things are a pleasure to test and challenge, there's a joy in withstanding trials. But your trials are apparently too much for your friend. You're the one who took on some extra curriculum since the day of Judea, Christians are only rehashing the old stuff.
Well, aren't you, as they say, "unequally yoked"? Consider Anyway, he must be a pretty good friend if he can pull this off.

(23-09-2014 09:54 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  I'm used to my friends liking absurd garbage. It isn't the first time this friend, or any other friend, has recommended such a bogus book to me.
Well, there's a scarcity of friends who actually read things. In English. I don't think Christians actually qualify as reading, thoughtful friends, interested in world, ethics, morals and spirituality, any more than a microwave dinner eater qualifies as a gourmet. The greatest flaw of Christians is, they're not so that much interested in the book, truth and life after all, it's the community and relationships that they hold onto.

Do you watch any videos with him? Atheists love Bible, as a good comedy source.
https://www.youtube.com/user/43alley
https://www.youtube.com/user/NonStampCollector
https://www.youtube.com/user/DarkMatter2525
https://www.youtube.com/user/QualiaSoup
24-09-2014, 04:17 AM
(23-09-2014 07:19 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Would your friend even be willing to read something like Dawkins? 'Cause that's blasphemous devil worshippin' stuff right thur.

Even my liberal Christian husband won't read Dawkins. Might chip away what shreds of faith he still has. He's not sure if he believes in hell, doesn't think heaven will have only Christians, and doesn't think the bible should be taken literally, but he calls himself a Christian and still believes in god.

Richard Dawkins has written several books, only one of which was The God Delusion.

He has also written a memoir, a book of essays, a science book for children, and eight books on evolution.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-09-2014, 08:04 AM
(24-09-2014 04:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-09-2014 07:19 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Would your friend even be willing to read something like Dawkins? 'Cause that's blasphemous devil worshippin' stuff right thur.

Even my liberal Christian husband won't read Dawkins. Might chip away what shreds of faith he still has. He's not sure if he believes in hell, doesn't think heaven will have only Christians, and doesn't think the bible should be taken literally, but he calls himself a Christian and still believes in god.

Richard Dawkins has written several books, only one of which was The God Delusion.

He has also written a memoir, a book of essays, a science book for children, and eight books on evolution.

That's true. The Blind Watchmaker is really good, too.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
24-09-2014, 08:43 AM
While some folks say book for book, from experience that won't work. He either won't read it or dismiss it as "the work of the devil." My dad dismissed Dawkins out of hand, and recommended the Case For Christ. I have stopped this practice. You can't reach people who refuse to see.

Read it, just to shut him up. Fortunately these things are easy to read, they're not too overly intellectual (HAHAHA!!!!). Just give it a quick skim to get the gist, then if your friend asks you can rebut it.
24-09-2014, 04:05 PM
They are losing the battle by way of fear.