Taste Buds and Food Preferences

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-09-2017, 11:35 AM
The Romans had a saying : "De gustibus non disputandum es" - There's no disputing taste, or perhaps, "matters of taste" if you will. But in matters of actual taste (buds) - science says it is largely a matter of DNA, though there are still some "acquired tastes" we pick up along the way.

Quote:How did we come by these strong flavor preferences, and why do they vary so much from person to person? A few weeks ago I wrote about one of the earliest influences on our food likes and dislikes, exposure to flavors via the womb and breast milk. But it isn't just Mom who has a role in determining what we like to eat: the way we perceive some flavors is coded in our DNA.
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-cultu...-88797110/

I would love to have that taste bud that lets people with Native Hawaiian blood enjoy the subtle flavors in poi, but I don't, so poi tastes like flavorless paste to me. I would love not to have the buds that make cilantro taste like window cleaner and guacamole have an aftertaste of aluminum foil and soap, but I do. Sadcryface2 But then, I love vanilla, which has an array of subtle flavors in its natural form, but a flat taste when made artificially. As a teen, I never understood why my friends disdained anything with "plain vanilla" flavor when I didn't think it was plain at all. Now I know. I hate anything added to coffee or tea other than hot water, but I don't know whether that's genetic or acquired. Just -- no "sweet tea" or flavored coffee for me, please! Drinking Beverage

So, what foods/drinks do you love/hate that make people around you think you are weird?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Rockblossom's post
06-09-2017, 12:00 PM
RE: Taste Buds and Food Preferences
Hmmmm
I'm German/Irish and I can say for sure the my "death row meal" would not be either.
Meat + Fire = Good
BBQ is the sacrament for the biker dude.
Steak, Chicken, Ribs plus a nice bbq sauce salad bar and a frosty Sam's.

I try to avoid the carbs. Processed wheat flour is a plot to destroy human civilization.
I'm just not sure who's behind it.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes BikerDude's post
06-09-2017, 12:09 PM
(06-09-2017 11:35 AM)Rockblossom Wrote:  So, what foods/drinks do you love/hate that make people around you think you are weird?

I learned to love Mexican food when I lived in Texas for nine years. Unfortunately I can't get my wife to go to a Mexican restaurant with me (or Italian or Thai for that matter). Nothing spicy agrees with her.

However, my tastes in beverages are the most unusual. I can't stand any soda or any alcoholic drink. None at all. The only time I ever drank a soda was when I took a tour of a Coca Cola bottling plant with my Cub Scout troop when I was a kid, and they gave out free bottles at the end. I was being polite to drink it, but hated it.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
06-09-2017, 12:15 PM
I like what little I know from Georgian cuisine. Thai, Mexican and Chinese food also are to my liking. When it comes to drinks I like flavored red teas and coffees from all around the world.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
06-09-2017, 12:58 PM
I have been thinking about taste recently - I used to love strawberries from the store. Then I started growing my own. Now I won't ever buy any, and even with my own they have to have the exact redness and firmness/softness to have the perfect flavor. I even started growing alpine strawberries because they pack super flavor.

The same goes for tomatoes, plums, blackberries, blueberries......pretty much, if the fruit or veg hasn't sun ripened on the plant, it tastes like card board to me.

I pretty much like everything, prepared from recipes across the world, with exception of butterfish, catfish, those US cake frostings and everything that is sickening sweet like that. Baklava is as sweet as can be, but it's a different type of sweet and I love it.

My last dinner? Steak and lobster, baked potato with all the fixings, green beans and mushroom medley, cucumber/yoghurt salad, and vanilla ice cream topped with all fresh picked berries and whipped real cream. After all that, they might as well shoot me Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
06-09-2017, 01:39 PM
My taste buds are deficient. I can't stand yogurt, salad dressings, mayonnaise, and many sauces. It's a combination of taste and texture for me. I don't like most vegetables, but I eat them because while my palate's stuck at about age 5, my brain is not. Don't care that much for meat, so it's easy to be moderate there. Almost nothing is too sweet for me, but I limit the amount and type of sweets I eat.

There are advantages to having a stupid palate. I just got back from a week of three-per-day, four-star meals, including dessert at every lunch and dinner. I avoided every dish with a dressing/sauce, and there was always somebody at the table who wanted my bacon...I lost a pound while most of the others gained a few.

My last meal: grilled cheese sandwiches, merlot, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
06-09-2017, 01:50 PM
I like spicy food. Indian, Mexican, Thai foods are my faves. I don't really like a lot of salt. I love tortilla chips (as long as they're not overly salted), ones that they make in house at Mexican restaurants are especially good. I am also having a love affair with guacamole Wink And I love chocolate. Recently, I traded in my chocolate cupcakes for Alter Eco Dark Blackout Organic Chocolate which I am completely loving at the moment.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
06-09-2017, 02:16 PM
(06-09-2017 12:09 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(06-09-2017 11:35 AM)Rockblossom Wrote:  So, what foods/drinks do you love/hate that make people around you think you are weird?

I learned to love Mexican food when I lived in Texas for nine years. Unfortunately I can't get my wife to go to a Mexican restaurant with me (or Italian or Thai for that matter). Nothing spicy agrees with her.

However, my tastes in beverages are the most unusual. I can't stand any soda or any alcoholic drink. None at all. The only time I ever drank a soda was when I took a tour of a Coca Cola bottling plant with my Cub Scout troop when I was a kid, and they gave out free bottles at the end. I was being polite to drink it, but hated it.

Hmmm ... soda (diet soda, since I'm diabetic) and alcoholic beverages are about all I drink, so we're opposites there. I have disliked milk since childhood (maybe because we were forced to drink powdered milk to save money), and I never acquired a taste for coffee. I drink water sometimes, but these days I'm not sure I can trust tap water.

Like your wife, I avoid Mexican restaurants, not because of spiciness -- I love spicy food (I would be fine with eating Thai or Indian food every day) -- but because of cheese. Cheese is disgusting, and it's hard to find anything in a Mexican restaurant that doesn't have cheese on it or in it.

Like julep, I also despise mayonnaise, and I'm suspicious of any kind of sauce unless I know exactly what's in it (in particular, that it's entirely free of mayonnaise and/or cheese).
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post