Tattoo Translation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2014, 12:22 AM
Tattoo Translation
So I've decided on the tattoo which will symbolize my 20+ years as a believer and my ultimate loss of faith. It was an incredibly significant life experience, and I feel it's only appropriate to have "Apostasy" inked on the inside of my right forearm. However, I want it written in Greek; reading "Apostasia". I was wondering if anyone could help me out with the translation.

From most of what I've researched, this is the correct spelling of the word:

ἀποστασία

However, in some places, I've also seen it written this way:

ποστασία

I was wondering if anyone had any insight on this. I'm pretty sure the first one is correct, but I want to be 100% sure. It's gonna be in my skin forever, after all.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
04-02-2014, 01:17 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2014 01:20 AM by houseofcantor.)
RE: Tattoo Translation
Yeah, man. Don't do it, on the assumption than no one love anything like I love my Gwynnies.

[Image: PC190003.jpg]

You ask, what is eternal, offer 2 options; I must interject, I love my Gwynnies everz. Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
04-02-2014, 01:33 AM
(04-02-2014 01:17 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Yeah, man. Don't do it, on the assumption than no one love anything like I love my Gwynnies.

You ask, what is eternal, offer 2 options; I must interject, I love my Gwynnies everz. Dodgy

HOC…you worry me, bro. You worry me. lol

[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
04-02-2014, 01:42 AM
(04-02-2014 12:22 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  So I've decided on the tattoo which will symbolize my 20+ years as a believer and my ultimate loss of faith. It was an incredibly significant life experience, and I feel it's only appropriate to have "Apostasy" inked on the inside of my right forearm. However, I want it written in Greek; reading "Apostasia". I was wondering if anyone could help me out with the translation.

ἀποστασία

ποστασία

I was wondering if anyone had any insight on this. I'm pretty sure the first one is correct, but I want to be 100% sure. It's gonna be in my skin forever, after all.
I can tell you that the first version is correct without even knowing any Greek. Sleepy

ἀ π ο σ τ α σ ί α
a p o s t a s i a
a p o s t a s i e*
a p o s t a s y

π ο σ τ α σ ί α
p o s t a s i a
p o s t a s i e*
p o s t a s y

*German

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
04-02-2014, 02:14 AM
(04-02-2014 01:42 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(04-02-2014 12:22 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  So I've decided on the tattoo which will symbolize my 20+ years as a believer and my ultimate loss of faith. It was an incredibly significant life experience, and I feel it's only appropriate to have "Apostasy" inked on the inside of my right forearm. However, I want it written in Greek; reading "Apostasia". I was wondering if anyone could help me out with the translation.

ἀποστασία

ποστασία

I can tell you that the first version is correct without even knowing any Greek. Sleepy

ἀ π ο σ τ α σ ί α
a p o s t a s i a
a p o s t a s i e*
a p o s t a s y

π ο σ τ α σ ί α
p o s t a s i a
p o s t a s i e*
p o s t a s y

*German

Ahh. There it is. I downloaded the Greek alphabet and translated the letters individually, so I was sure the first one was right. Looking back, my sources also gave me the German version as well.

04-02-2014, 06:30 AM
I was drinking (and I love my Gwynnies) but I remember the zombie on American Horror Story in the tattoo parlor fucking with his pal about how those Chinese characters never mean what people think they mean... Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
04-02-2014, 07:13 AM
(04-02-2014 02:14 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(04-02-2014 01:42 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I can tell you that the first version is correct without even knowing any Greek. Sleepy

ἀ π ο σ τ α σ ί α
a p o s t a s i a
a p o s t a s i e*
a p o s t a s y

π ο σ τ α σ ί α
p o s t a s i a
p o s t a s i e*
p o s t a s y

*German

Ahh. There it is. I downloaded the Greek alphabet and translated the letters individually, so I was sure the first one was right. Looking back, my sources also gave me the German version as well.

Google translate yields αποστασία.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
04-02-2014, 12:58 PM
Oh, where have I been?

ἀποστασία is Ancient Greek
αποστασία is Modern Greek

You're welcome.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
04-02-2014, 01:35 PM
(04-02-2014 01:17 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Yeah, man. Don't do it, on the assumption than no one love anything like I love my Gwynnies.

I wonder..... does she have a restraining order out on you yet Huh

Oh, and BTW, why are you letting hair grow on her forehead ? Tongue You just aint right! ... but for some reason I like ya. Consider
04-02-2014, 02:37 PM

ἀποστασία

ποστασία

You already got help on the Greek. I just want to say - Love the idea!
[+] 1 user Likes meremortal's post