Tattoos

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Tattoos
Ok , question , I am thinking to get tattoos in the future to celebrate a special occasion.
Two problems I have on this issue :
1.How do I find a good artist/parlor as to get a good tattoo and not get an STD bonus if you know what i mean.
2.I want my tattoos to be in runic script and inspired by viking mythology but I have no clue where I can translate it - and I mean properly , I don't want to end up with a tattoo I think says 'Life is struggle" and which actually says "I eat cow poo".

Any hints ?

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2012, 04:24 PM
RE: Tattoos
1. Ask questions. Find out how their equipment is cleaned, what their policy is with regard to hygene, and whether they are certified (depending on where you are). A good artist will encourage those questions. If you ask and they act offended, annoyed, or unwilling to answer; walk away. Look around. If you feel like it isn't a clean environment, trust your instincts. A tat shop should be spotless, especially where work is done. If they care about how clean it looks, they are more likely to care about how clean the things are that you can't see.

2. The best solution is to draw the tat yourself. Do tons of research, and find EXACTLY what you want tattooed. Then when you see the artist, let him/her know that you want the symbols you've illustrated, and ask them to do a drawing with their own artisic interpretation. If that drawing appears to alter the script at all (ie. the font used distorts the symbols), let the artist know. A good artist will happily re-draw the work until you are satisfied.

Rule #1 with tattoos is: "Good work is not cheap, and cheap work is not good"

Be rprepared to pay a fair price and to wait for an appointment. If they can get you in right away, consider that it may be because they are not a popular artist. There is always a reason for that. That reason may be because they are a great artist, but new, or that they do shitty work. Find out. Look at their albums. Don't just look at how cool the tats are. Look at how well defined the lines are, what type of script they do, whether the ink bleeds (gets a fuzzy look around the edges of lines) and the overall quality of the art AND the quality of the ink.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 4 users Like Stark Raving's post
30-01-2012, 05:14 PM
I assume you are in the US.

1. There isn't a big tattoo/STD problem in the US. If the tattoo place looks like a legit business then it probably is. And by legit I mean they have a cash register, take credit cards, sell merchandise other than tattoos, etc. Tattoo shops are pretty heavily regulated when it comes to cleanliness.

2. Find a Scandinavian historian online and email.

3. Profit!

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
30-01-2012, 05:22 PM
What Stark said.

+

Look for a tattoo ARTIST not some guy who copy pictures out of a book. Your skin should be his canvas, not his xerox-machine. Be critical. If that guy/girl costs double from the guy across the street, save up longer.

Ask about the needles he uses. NEW needles for EVERY customer is not a favour, it's a must. On fairly large tats he/she is supposed to switch needles as well. you can't make a pretty tattoo with a blunt needle. If it does it will become opaque/fuzzy after a few years.

If you think you want a tattoo. Wait a year or two. Then see if you still want it. My personal opinion is that a tattoo should be a illustration to your own person and not something that happens to be in fashion today. It's there for LIFE. (yes +70 years, yes) Don't end up like these boys and girls. Smile

Don't drink or use any other kind of drug. Enjoy the pain and remember the experience for that extra shee-bam every time you see your tattoo.

Some people are allergic to coloured ink. Are you?

See if you can find some of his customers and ask if they want to show you the results from tattoos older then a year or two. Most of them like to show them off anyway. Do they still look nice?

Can't help you on the runes though...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
30-01-2012, 05:31 PM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2012 05:36 PM by FSM_scot.)
Don't get a partners name tattooed to you. My friend did that and he's had his ex girlfriends name on the back of his neck for the past 3 years.[Image: smiley-laughing014.gif]
Also please don't get the one below. Cringe
[Image: 1e9c733c-b783-4725-9d26-06778352d575.jpg]

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
31-01-2012, 07:01 AM
@Stark
Thanks. I'll follow your advice and do my own research on the subject.

@germanyt
Nope sorry , in the old land , Europe.
But I will look up a historian , good call. Maybe a university professor, right ?

@Observer
I know they sterilize needles at very high temperatures , but I'm curios if I can just buy my own brand-new set. Or did you mean something else ?
No drugs no way. As for fashion , WTF is that , do you eat it with a spoon or something ? In all seriousness my wardrobe is a jean and shirt all year round. In summer I switch to cloth pants and in winter I add a sweater. That's my fashion for you. I want something inspired by norse maybe asian mythology , like a phrase to represent my view on life.

@FSM_scot
Unless I consume my own body weight in alcohol no way in hell am I getting a tattoo like that. Besides , I don't even use facebook.

BTW - does anyone on the forum have any ink to show ? Smile

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
31-01-2012, 07:22 AM
(31-01-2012 07:01 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  I want something inspired by norse maybe asian mythology , like a phrase to represent my view on life.
My point exactly Wink

Quote:BTW - does anyone on the forum have any ink to show ? Smile
Sure... Big Grin

[Image: cartouche_encre_epson_t71281_1-z.jpg]

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 4 users Like Observer's post
31-01-2012, 09:30 AM
There's a pic of me somewhere on the picture thread that shows some of my work. Gotten a fair bit more since then, but it gives you an idea of what I've got. Definitely no shortage of ink on this guy. Wink

So many cats, so few good recipes.
31-01-2012, 09:55 AM
we have a tattoo thread it has a few users tattoos.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
31-01-2012, 09:58 AM
Observers "biomechanic".
Half man, half machine. I use to think I was some kind of machine.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=43]

While on this forum, is started to realise it's just common rationality
The drawing was made especially for me...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post