Tattoos Cultural appropriation or not?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2016, 10:01 AM
Tattoos Cultural appropriation or not?
I'm thinking about getting a tattoo, I'm not sure what exactly yet but I have a few ideas. Problem is, well, one of the many problems is, from what I understand, the majority of the opinion here is that getting a tattoo is haram (forbidden) because it changes the creation of Allah and that your wudu/ghusl would not be complete, which would mean that your salat would be compromised. And Allah knows best Laugh out load. My second biggest problem is, being judged. If you personally judge people based on tattoos, what is your reasoning for it? For example, do you look unfavorably upon a salesman who might have one and why? (interchange salesman with teacher, doctor, etc).

Im just curious to see peoples responses. Unfortunately I wish I could say I have never judged a persons tattoo, but sometimes I just think "oh my god, what were they thinking", whereas when you can tell it clearly has a lot of thought and love put into it, I react very differently. I respect those people more. Do your views on tattoos differ like this, or are you strictly against them? Why?

Sorry this is probably very poorly worded, I wanted to gain insight as to why tattoos are seen as "unprofessional". Yes sometimes they can show someone as rash or a bad decision maker, or the can be thoughtful and affectionate? I don't know... I really want one Undecided

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2016, 10:09 AM
RE: Tattoos Cultural appropriation or not?
There are some previous threads asking the same thing in case you’re interested in reading past opinions.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...dification

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...t-a-tattoo

On me I’ll stick with my scars, they’re like tattoos but with better stories.

For others, whatever makes you happy but I have on many occassions thought to myself, “Such a pretty girl, such an ugly tattoo.” Confused

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
27-08-2016, 10:09 AM
I don't mind tattoos personally. Even stupid ones. It's nowhere on my list of things to be concerned about. Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
27-08-2016, 10:14 AM
I hate to say it, but I do judge a person if they have a tattoo. Just last week I went with my wife to our six year old's parent teacher open house thingy.

His teacher is a young woman, just graduated and this is her first year. I thought, "great, my kid is in her first experiment of whether or not she can educate...."

Then I noticed that she had a few small tattoos, one of which is clearly visible on her wrist and my next thought was, "oh shit, at least she's cool, my kid should be in good hands."

As long as it's a not a swastika on your forehead, tattoos are an expression and I gots no problem with that. Get on with your bad self.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
27-08-2016, 10:15 AM
(27-08-2016 10:01 AM)izel Wrote:  I'm thinking about getting a tattoo, I'm not sure what exactly yet but I have a few ideas. Problem is, well, one of the many problems is, from what I understand, the majority of the opinion here is that getting a tattoo is haram (forbidden) because it changes the creation of Allah and that your wudu/ghusl would not be complete, which would mean that your salat would be compromised. And Allah knows best Laugh out load. My second biggest problem is, being judged. If you personally judge people based on tattoos, what is your reasoning for it? For example, do you look unfavorably upon a salesman who might have one and why? (interchange salesman with teacher, doctor, etc).

Im just curious to see peoples responses. Unfortunately I wish I could say I have never judged a persons tattoo, but sometimes I just think "oh my god, what were they thinking", whereas when you can tell it clearly has a lot of thought and love put into it, I react very differently. I respect those people more. Do your views on tattoos differ like this, or are you strictly against them? Why?

Sorry this is probably very poorly worded, I wanted to gain insight as to why tattoos are seen as "unprofessional". Yes sometimes they can show someone as rash or a bad decision maker, or the can be thoughtful and affectionate? I don't know... I really want one Undecided

Cue OnlineBiker anti-tattoo rant...in 3,2,1...

I have some tattoos. Most of them are covered up while going about my daily life but there are none that are offensive except for those who are offended by tattoos in general.

Here in the US, even here in TX, tattoos are becoming less of an issue. I see them often, even in pretty professional workplaces. Often they are addressed with the dress code portion of an employee manual...like no facial or neck tattoos or that tattoos have to be covered when dealing with public (think long sleeves or pants instead of a skirt).

I think I would be more hesitant where you live but I am not terribly knowledgeable about what is acceptable there. But based on the religious teachings I would guess it's a bigger deal than here.

I have seen beautiful tattoos and I am really happy with the one on my lower leg...it's a big piece with a lighthouse, a marlin, and beach/ocean all around. But I have also seen the 'what were you thinking' tattoos like you mention.

My first one is so cliché that it's ridiculous. But no one sees it other than my doctor, my husband, and anyone who may end up in my pool with me and then it's only half exposed. But I don't regret it. If I ever get to the point of covering my mastectomy scars with ink it will be worked into the design.

I have an ivy around one ankle tied to where the ends extend toward my foot. Some of the tendrils are actually the first initials of my kids and grandkids. It's small and delicate and no one would ever know what it means unless I tell them.

The advice I usually give people is to really think about what you want. Then think about it for a while, like a few months. You might want to make some changes. I have also drawn rough sketches on myself with eyeliner to get an idea of what it will look like. Pick a good artist and be open to their suggestions with regard to body placement and size.

Let us know what you decide.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
27-08-2016, 10:16 AM
I don't care about tattoos. Some I find beautiful, other ugly but in the end it mattets not to me. Not my body, not my choice. I also don't see them as unprofessional.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
27-08-2016, 10:20 AM
Double post

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
27-08-2016, 10:39 AM
Remember, think about it long and hard, make sure you have No Regerts!

https://www.google.com/search?q=tattoo,+...00&bih=657

[Image: NoRegert.jpg]

[Image: tattoo-fail-clearly-i-have-made-some-bad...l-blog.jpg]

[Image: pegasusE0W.jpg]

Big Grin

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 6 users Like Full Circle's post
27-08-2016, 10:41 AM
(27-08-2016 10:14 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  As long as it's a not a swastika on your forehead
I guess I can scratch that off my list Consider

(27-08-2016 10:15 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Here in the US, even here in TX, tattoos are becoming less of an issue.

Here too tattoos are becoming more acceptable. I see tattoo shops in every corner of town, more and more people are showing off their "extra haram, extra fabulous" ink Laugh out load. For me, if I do decide to get one, it will have to be somewhere that can be covered even by a T-Shirt. I know my family won't like it, and my job will demand that I keep it covered.

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-08-2016, 10:53 AM
Pity they have moved from being important social indicators of personal status; clan, tribe, personality, battles won, honours earned - as on the Pacific islands, New Guinea, NZ etc were they started.

If meaningful facial tattoos came back you could "read" a person at a glance. But there again,, there are always liars and braggarts!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.