Tattoos Cultural appropriation or not?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2016, 10:55 AM
RE: Tattoos Cultural appropriation or not?
(27-08-2016 10:53 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  Pity they have moved from being important social indicators of personal status; clan, tribe, personality, battles won, honours earned - as on the Pacific islands, New Guinea, NZ etc were they started.

If meaningful facial tattoos came back you could "read" a person at a glance. But there again,, there are always liars and braggarts!

That's what I consider my breast cancer ribbon to be. Wink

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2016, 10:56 AM
Except for face tattoos, there's no issue with judgment for having tattoos here. Tattoos are so, so common these days, it carries no stigma.
Personally I do have a personal opinion on them though...... Especially when extensive, they are very, very, very hot Blush

[Image: Amazing-Men-Chest-Tattoo.jpg]

[Image: Full-Body-Art-Tattoos-1_large.jpg]

I rest my case.

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
[+] 3 users Like LadyDay's post
27-08-2016, 11:08 AM
Tattoos are so prevalent in the US that I barely bat an eyelash at seeing someone covered in them. But this is a very deliberate action that can't be undone and only represents who you are in the here and now. If people think they know who or what they'll be 10, 20 or 50 years down the road, such that they are positive that they will still be proud to wear that tattoo, then I tend to conclude that I don’t have much in common with them.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
27-08-2016, 11:13 AM
I still enjoy winking at the devil on my shoulder, and flexing Flex so as to make the glowing red eyed bull's head, over my heart, snort! Laugh out load Tongue

Been sportin at least one for almost 20 years, now. Still luv 'em all! Cool

27-08-2016, 11:17 AM (This post was last modified: 27-08-2016 11:24 AM by Anjele.)
(27-08-2016 11:08 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Tattoos are so prevalent in the US that I barely bat an eyelash at seeing someone covered in them. But this is a very deliberate action that can't be undone and only represents who you are in the here and now. If people think they know who or what they'll be 10, 20 or 50 years down the road, such that they are positive that they will still be proud to wear that tattoo, then I tend to conclude that I don’t have much in common with them.

I think that depends on the reason for the tattoo. The one I have with the kids' and grandkids' initials isn't going to change...well, it did when Trey was born so I had a 'T' added. I think I am done though now. Tongue

The lighthouse I have is where I was born and the area is known for marlin fishing which was what my grandfather did. It's a tribute to that side of the family so that won't change either. Same with the breast cancer ribbon. I was in my fifties when I got all these mentioned.

One of my daughters has a memorial tattoo for her best friend who was murdered. I don't see her ever regretting that...though she has others that we all regret.Undecided

That same daughter and my son got 'mom' tattoos when I was diagnosed, hopefully they don't regret them.

The ones on the outside of my thighs and the one on my 'where my breast used to be' really have little meaning but I don't dislike them to the point of wanting to be rid of them.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
27-08-2016, 11:19 AM (This post was last modified: 27-08-2016 11:30 AM by Loom.)
I don't usually mind tattoos. Being an artist I've made my own designs. I just hate it when people get really cheap crummy ones that get blurry and faded within a few months, or don't think about the fact that it'll still be there when they're 90 years old sittin in a nursing home with saggy ol' skin Tongue

I've seen some awesome tattoos. I've also seen terrible ones. I'll never understand why some people settle for cheap, crummy, or otherwise ugly tattoos.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
27-08-2016, 11:20 AM
(27-08-2016 10:56 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  Except for face tattoos, there's no issue with judgment for having tattoos here. Tattoos are so, so common these days, it carries no stigma.
Personally I do have a personal opinion on them though...... Especially when extensive, they are very, very, very hot Blush

[Image: Amazing-Men-Chest-Tattoo.jpg]

[Image: Full-Body-Art-Tattoos-1_large.jpg]

I rest my case.

Aw com'on LD. You could put those to in a tater sack and they'd still look hot! You could squirt them down in honey or whipped cream and the'd still look immensely hot! You could...wait now I need a cold shower. Blush

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
27-08-2016, 11:20 AM
My family is old-school military. Almost everyone chooses to serve, as did I, although I never felt any pressure to- it's a personal decision in my family. When I was a kid, the only people with tattoos were sailors (as an air force brat from Texas...those guys were mysterious!) and ex-cons. Those guys were even more mysterious!
I got my first tat in UPT, what you'd call air force flight school. I loved it, although others in the air force- including a Colonel it was sort of my job to impress- were not as enamoured with it. As a 2nd lieutenant, impressing the Colonel was a fairly important aspect of my life at the time. Oops. Actually, it would be more fair to say- NOT BEING NOTICED BY COLONELS was more along the lines of what I was supposed to be doing. Double oops.
So that first one..maybe not the best timing. Afterwards, I had more "installed" on my person, and I'm proud of them all. I did keep them all above the hemlines of a standard short sleeved shirt- I always thought it was cool, I could wear a t-shirt and be a respectable human being, throw on a tank top and scare small children. Awesome!
Things have most definitely changed. Back then a tat was an expression of rebellion, a roadmap of one's military adventures, or a calendar of one's sentence.
Now they're simply a fashion statement. So they are much more acceptable in everyday life- as Anjele says, even here in Texas, my 20 year old daughter has a full sleeve and goes to college for veterinary medicine and has an important job at the zoo dealing with animals and the public, and the only thing that has to be covered per their handbook is "vulgar or offensive" tattoos.
If you want one, get one! I would be careful about placement and subject, just don't do anything without really thinking about it. Maybe get a henna tat just like what you want in the same place and spend a week with it, if you like. Also, be sure- if the tat represents something from your life, like mine do- that what you choose is something you truly want to immortalize!

Cheers!
[+] 2 users Like The Dark One's post
27-08-2016, 11:25 AM
(27-08-2016 11:20 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Aw com'on LD. You could put those to in a tater sack and they'd still look hot! You could squirt them down in honey or whipped cream and the'd still look immensely hot You could...wait now I need a cold shower. Blush

Okay, so I saw an opportunity to look at attractive people (with attractive tattoos) and took it. Moment of weakness. I'll join you in that cold shower.

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
[+] 2 users Like LadyDay's post
27-08-2016, 11:25 AM
Quote:Aw com'on LD. You could put those to in a tater sack and they'd still look hot! You could squirt them down in honey or whipped cream and the'd still look immensely hot! You could...wait now I need a cold shower. Blush

Ok, that was totally uncalled for.

I just got OUT of the shower. SMH...heading back....dammit.
[+] 3 users Like The Dark One's post