Tattoos Cultural appropriation or not?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2016, 11:34 AM
RE: Tattoos Cultural appropriation or not?
Quote:But this is a very deliberate action that can't be undone and only represents who you are in the here and now.

I've had that same thought, myself, but a good friend suggested a different perspective. It doesn't work for folks who just rush out and get a tattoo body suit inked on, first thing, but most people get theirs over many years.

Each tattoo is a snapshot of who that person was at the time they received THAT tattoo...over time, their entire life story is told in ink, on the very canvas of their skin. You can explore the tattoo and see every facet of this person over the course of their lifetime.

Interesting, I think.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like The Dark One's post
27-08-2016, 11:42 AM
(27-08-2016 11:20 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  My family is old-school military. Almost everyone chooses to serve, as did I, although I never felt any pressure to- it's a personal decision in my family. When I was a kid, the only people with tattoos were sailors (as an air force brat from Texas...those guys were mysterious!) and ex-cons. Those guys were even more mysterious!
I got my first tat in UPT, what you'd call air force flight school. I loved it, although others in the air force- including a Colonel it was sort of my job to impress- were not as enamoured with it. As a 2nd lieutenant, impressing the Colonel was a fairly important aspect of my life at the time. Oops. Actually, it would be more fair to say- NOT BEING NOTICED BY COLONELS was more along the lines of what I was supposed to be doing. Double oops.
So that first one..maybe not the best timing. Afterwards, I had more "installed" on my person, and I'm proud of them all. I did keep them all above the hemlines of a standard short sleeved shirt- I always thought it was cool, I could wear a t-shirt and be a respectable human being, throw on a tank top and scare small children. Awesome!
Things have most definitely changed. Back then a tat was an expression of rebellion, a roadmap of one's military adventures, or a calendar of one's sentence.
Now they're simply a fashion statement. So they are much more acceptable in everyday life- as Anjele says, even here in Texas, my 20 year old daughter has a full sleeve and goes to college for veterinary medicine and has an important job at the zoo dealing with animals and the public, and the only thing that has to be covered per their handbook is "vulgar or offensive" tattoos.
If you want one, get one! I would be careful about placement and subject, just don't do anything without really thinking about it. Maybe get a henna tat just like what you want in the same place and spend a week with it, if you like. Also, be sure- if the tat represents something from your life, like mine do- that what you choose is something you truly want to immortalize!

Cheers!

My father was a veterinarian...I feel like I went through vet school with him as I was nine when he graduated. His specialties were swine and dairy cattle as that's what there was in eastern Iowa. I used to go on calls with him and also helped with some of the limited small animal care he did.

I love our vets here. The clinic staff is great! They care for all sorts of animals from pets to the big cats at http://www.insyncexotics.com/ which is just outside of town. It's great experience for your daughter to be working at the zoo...that's so cool.

One time I told my dad that I was really impressed with veterinarians because their patients couldn't tell them what was wrong. His response was that they couldn't lie either.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
27-08-2016, 11:49 AM
My only problem with them is that they are pretty much permanent.

When I was younger I was skinny as a stick. If I'd have gotten a tattoo back then of say a bird or something, with all the folds of skin I have now it might have morphed into a gruesome winged turd looking thing.

After I got married I thought of getting a tattoo on my left breast that would read:

If found dead or incapacitated please call Mrs.... at (613)-555-2222 to arrange for pick-up...unless she is considered the prime suspect.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
27-08-2016, 11:52 AM
(27-08-2016 11:08 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Tattoos are so prevalent in the US that I barely bat an eyelash at seeing someone covered in them. But this is a very deliberate action that can't be undone and only represents who you are in the here and now. If people think they know who or what they'll be 10, 20 or 50 years down the road, such that they are positive that they will still be proud to wear that tattoo, then I tend to conclude that I don’t have much in common with them.

Laugh out load Is this what you mean?

[Image: da8cf828f3c9e80cc7ca8c9ceaeb577f.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
27-08-2016, 11:54 AM
(27-08-2016 11:52 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(27-08-2016 11:08 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Tattoos are so prevalent in the US that I barely bat an eyelash at seeing someone covered in them. But this is a very deliberate action that can't be undone and only represents who you are in the here and now. If people think they know who or what they'll be 10, 20 or 50 years down the road, such that they are positive that they will still be proud to wear that tattoo, then I tend to conclude that I don’t have much in common with them.

Weeping Glad I didn't ever go for the tramp stamp. Weeping

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
27-08-2016, 11:59 AM
(27-08-2016 11:52 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  

That is exactly what I mean. Tongue
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
27-08-2016, 01:16 PM
Quote:I love our vets here. The clinic staff is great! They care for all sorts of animals from pets to the big cats at http://www.insyncexotics.com/ which is just outside of town. It's great experience for your daughter to be working at the zoo...that's so cool.

One time I told my dad that I was really impressed with veterinarians because their patients couldn't tell them what was wrong. His response was that they couldn't lie either.

LOL that's true...he makes a valid point.
I'm so proud of her...it's hard to get on with the zoo, and in the US it is MUCH harder to get into vet school than medical school. There are ALOT of doctors out there who are failed veterinarians. No joke.
She's been with the zoo now for 3 years, and has shot up through the ranks. I'm not sure of her job title but she is responsible for about 40 employees and 15 different enclosures, and handles public appearances. At 20 years old! Smile
My oldest daughter is in premed, with 4 years to go. My youngest is just starting vet school to be an exotic animal vet, and has a job she loves at a prestigious zoo. Talk about a proud poppa!
[+] 2 users Like The Dark One's post
27-08-2016, 02:27 PM
Be a trendsetter and set yourself apart from the herd.

Don't get one...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
27-08-2016, 02:30 PM
(27-08-2016 02:27 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Be a trendsetter and set yourself apart from the herd.

Don't get one...

Yer late.

27-08-2016, 02:37 PM
(27-08-2016 02:27 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Be a trendsetter and set yourself apart from the herd.

Don't get one...

That's what may happen eventually. Tattoos will be seen as something from an older generation that the new generation wants to separate from. It happens all the time. Every generation wants to make their own statement and style.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post