Tattoos and Body Modification

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-11-2011, 06:42 PM
RE: Tattoos and Body Modification
(21-11-2011 09:31 AM)paulesungnomo Wrote:  i don't have a problem with you and i don't think you lack integrity. the people who sell that plastic shit and call it tattoo gear are the ones i have a problem with.

Thanks for that last line. I mighta had to get heated. Big Grin

Now I got no problem saying I agree with pretty much everything in your post. Having worked in a hospital doing sterilization for a year gives me the background experience. Smile

It is what I know about the science of tattooing that makes me a professional. There has been zero occurrence of anything being received from ellenjanuary other than the inkwork - artistic quality is all eye of the beholder - and if becomes a regular gig, of course it will be hooking up with a machinist for a custom made and designed ellenjanuary unit. That's just how that shit works. Big Grin

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-11-2011, 07:45 PM

hehehe yeah dude... i think im a bit misunderstood. i keep pissing people off without trying... the stuff i said in the previous post about machines and tattooing can sound very clique-ish and elitist to people that are not in the business...

but the fact is, you get what you put in, and people these days want to pick some shit up and be tattooing without putting in the work and learning how shit really goes from people who know. they see the fucking rockstar douchebags tattooing on TV and they want to be just like them....

now i won't complain about them, because i would say 40% of my work comes from folks who got their cousin or their neighbor to tattoo them and fucked their shit up... and i get paid to fix it. not always fun or artistically fulfilling, but it pays the bills.

you already have the most important part, which is knowing how to work clean and avoid BBPs... you should really check out work horse irons... those shits practically do the work for you.

anyway... take care dude.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes paulesungnomo's post
21-11-2011, 07:48 PM
(20-11-2011 05:54 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(19-11-2011 07:03 PM)paulesungnomo Wrote:  all licensed artists go through the same OSHA (in the states...other places have an equivalent) training that nurses and flobotamists go through, and preventing the spread of blood borne pathogens is something that all good artists take very seriously.

Licencing is tariff revenue, regulation, and nothing more.

Nah, Paul is right. It's a public health issue.

(21-11-2011 06:42 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Now I got no problem saying I agree with pretty much everything in your post. Having worked in a hospital doing sterilization for a year gives me the background experience. Smile

It is what I know about the science of tattooing that makes me a professional. There has been zero occurrence of anything being received from ellenjanuary other than the inkwork - artistic quality is all eye of the beholder - and if becomes a regular gig, of course it will be hooking up with a machinist for a custom made and designed ellenjanuary unit. That's just how that shit works. Big Grin

You do realize you will need to be licensed, bonded, and insured, in addition to being a talented artist, before you will find any venture capital, right? That's just how shit works.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
22-11-2011, 02:23 AM
Smile

@ paulesungnomo

I think you got me a little too seriously, too literally. I have one tattoo, I don't think about it too much, I don't like it, or hate it, bu I sure as hell don't have anything against it. But from the moment I made it, I am thinking about something new. I never knew any person that did one tattoo and didn't want more of them. If you are not careful, you can easily overdo it and loose the artistic and beautiful touch of tattoos. Hope I made myself a bit more clear now. And I'm not pointing out my own feelings toward tattoos, I am pointing (or at least trying) how most of the people (like my parents) look at the over-tattooed person. I'm sorry, but it's not a nice world we are living in and you can't always be against the current, sometimes you need to swim with it. Anyway, I'm done.

Peace.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
22-11-2011, 12:50 PM
(21-11-2011 07:48 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Nah, Paul is right. It's a public health issue.

WTF are you on about? Tongue

We're already past that part. In a perfect world, sure; but back when I used to do 'em in Massachusetts, it was just illegal. Sure didn't stop me or a buncha others I knew. Did 'em in 94, I think, at Am-Jam in NY; perfectly legal at a convention. With no nothing, where I found out my practices were beyond what was required of the state of New York. Florida, I remember, required an on-site doctor. The regs are all over the place, unless they have changed significantly.

(21-11-2011 07:48 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You do realize you will need to be licensed, bonded, and insured, in addition to being a talented artist, before you will find any venture capital, right? That's just how shit works.

Blaspheme! I'm ellenjanuary, you silly mortal! Big Grin

Hadda throw that in there. I'm not planning on becoming a tattoo artist, I'm planning on doing the impossible science to prevent the downfall of human civilization for my Gwynnies. Wink

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-11-2011, 01:57 PM

@filox

you could be right... but only in your world. you live in a completely different world than i do. i paint and tattoo for a living. i have a boss, but she has more tattoos than me, so it's not an issue. anyone who has a problem with my appearance is eliminated from my life. i don't have time for them. if i was climbing the corporate ladder, maybe my tattoos would be an issue. but that world makes me sick, and i wonder how people can live in it. im sure from your perspective it does certainly appear that going against the current in that regard is impossible, but i have chosen to live my life in another way, and i suffer no bad consequences for my appearance. on the contrary, they serve as free advertizement.

however, i do know a few things about how society at large views people with tons of tattoos. i will tell you how...

i was a fucking missionary kid that grew up in colombia and costa rica. places where the 'tattoos are for gangsters and cons'mentality still prevails today, and belive me i know all about people judging you for you tattoos. imagine how my ultra-christian parents and relativers reacted when i decided to dedicate my life to breaking the commandment in leviticus 19:28 and helping others to do the same. i was an atheist by 10 and on my own by 17. i have been painting, designing and tattooing ever since. for a decade now.

i understand not everyone can afford to not care about what bosses and family and society thinks because for one reason or another they must participate in that society. but the society i participate in is more of a sub-culture, where being covered in tattoos is more of a badge of honor rather than an issue. and i have the luxury of telling anyone who thinks otherwise to fuck off and die. i had enough judgement passed on me in my childhood and by my family to last a lifetime, and im done dealing with people who dont like it. they can do their thing. i dont participate in their game.

so i really do understand what you mean about being 'over-tattooed' (no such thing!) and looking like a 'freak'... but in the world i live in, people celebrate altering their bodies and being completely 100% in control of their bodies and their appearances and their lives. i wish you didn't have to live in the judgemental bullshit society that you undoubtedly live in, but things are changing, the supreme court quote i showed you prooves the direction that even crusty old white judges are starting to accept that tattooing is just as valid o form of 1st ammedmant expression as any other 'non-pure speech'... the people (like the parents you mentioned) are dying out. and soon we will be accepted even more than we already are. the freaks are the people who live their lives in fear of what society will do if they change their appearance and become the person (aestetically, which is important and often overlooked) that they want to be.

Im done to. lol. Take care dude. the society you choose to participate in does not only judge you for your appearance. it judges you for your beliefs, your choices... evertything. it's not worth being a part of.
[+] 1 user Likes paulesungnomo's post
22-11-2011, 02:07 PM

You know.
I love the tree.
If you don't agree with my opinion, then I'm sorry.

I may not get the other tattoos, but I know that I want the tree & my little sister's name.

I don't know.
I have just always loved tattoos.
22-11-2011, 02:20 PM

(22-11-2011 02:07 PM)calmyourtitsbro Wrote:  You know.
I love the tree.
If you don't agree with my opinion, then I'm sorry.

I may not get the other tattoos, but I know that I want the tree & my little sister's name.

I don't know.
I have just always loved tattoos.

think it through. choose your design carefully and spend time looking for an artist who belives in the project. bercause as someone who does this shit... i have to tell you, that tree you posted a pic of is a serious fucking tatoo project. we are talking probably 3 or 4 grand (american) and at least 4 or 5 sessions. could be as many as 8 or 10 sessions depending on how sit and how mcuh you can take. it will hurt and it be uncomfortable for long periods.

so you need to really belive in a project like that. if you do, then go for it. you will transform yourself and be better for it. but be careful... may people who start projects this big get overwhelmed when they realise how much work, time, pain and money actually goes into something like this. they end up with half finished tattoos that they end up not being happy with.

if you are new to tattoos i would recommend starting smaller. get a feel for whats involved and the amount of commitment you will need to follow through on something like this.

if after thinking about all these things and getting a couple smaller tattoos (oincreasingly bigger is the way it usually happens) you are still sold on the half-body tree idea, then do that shit! you will be really h appy and you will feel like you have followed tghrough and acheived something awesome. good luck. and if you are ever in the maryland or DC area write me... id love to work on you.
22-11-2011, 06:32 PM (This post was last modified: 22-11-2011 06:42 PM by GirlyMan.)
(22-11-2011 02:20 PM)paulesungnomo Wrote:  if you are new to tattoos i would recommend starting smaller. get a feel for whats involved and the amount of commitment you will need to follow through on something like this.

When my kids asked me (think the 3 out of 4 who asked for them were all in their late teens at the time), I said "Dunno why you'd want one, but if I did I think I'd start with a temporary tattoo to see if I still liked it after a few days or weeks first before I went the permanent route." Tattoos don't bother me one way or another (wifie's got a big ol' flying unicorn on her back) unless they spew hate like "88" or a swastika or some other bullshit like that.

(22-11-2011 12:50 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(21-11-2011 07:48 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You do realize you will need to be licensed, bonded, and insured, in addition to being a talented artist, before you will find any venture capital, right? That's just how shit works.

Blaspheme! I'm ellenjanuary, you silly mortal! Big Grin

Hadda throw that in there. I'm not planning on becoming a tattoo artist, I'm planning on doing the impossible science to prevent the downfall of human civilization for my Gwynnies. Wink

Hell if a carpenter can give it a go, why not a tattoo artist? You clearly have a talent for it, why not make some money off it? If you're clever about it you can start the Church of Gwynnies Tattoo Parlor, claim it as a religious ritual, and keep it tax free. Wink

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
23-11-2011, 02:10 AM
@ paulesungnomo

I like your post, it's very true. Unfortunately, not all of us can do what you do, so we have to adopt. For example, I graduated on tourism, so imagine me being a tour-guide or something similar and looking like you. I could never get any jobs in tourism, ever. Life can take you in directions you don't want to, you can't always choose what you want to do. I had a friend, just like you, he was a tattoo artist for 10 years, he is full of tattoos all over his body, then one day he moved to different city and now he is a big and wealthy manager for some foreign company and now his tattoos get in the way, but he can handle it, that is why he is a good manager.

Unfortunately, I didn't choose my society, it chose me and they can judge me all they want, I can blend in like a chameleon, good looking on the outside, "freak" on the inside and I am a very patient guy, so I can wait until they all die out.

Now to business, I need to ask you a few things, I have asked the local tattoo masters, but they said it can't be done. I have a tattoo, my friend was practicing on my leg (see how good I am), but his lines have became too thick, so it's not precise anymore. Is there any way to make the lines thin and more precise again? I can send you the picture, if that would help.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson