Tax the church?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-06-2012, 09:34 PM
Tax the church?
Has anybody done any sort of research on what the revenue would be if churches would tax? Inquiring minds are wondering!

Would anybody argue against a church tax?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-06-2012, 10:22 PM
RE: Tax the church?
I vote for the taxing of churches/religions. Hell yeh. It could provoke some interesting changes....

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
30-06-2012, 10:48 PM
I was thinking of the revenue and I figure since the church wants to shove it in the state's pooper, why not make the state turn around and see who's got the bigger dick?
30-06-2012, 11:00 PM
I found this....quite interesting

http://ieet.org/index.php/IEET/more/4738

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
30-06-2012, 11:24 PM
If a bill was passed to tax churches tomorrow, headlines would read: "Obama Declares War on God".

I find it offensive that churches aren't taxed, and that all the evangelicals would throw a fit even if that money went
to a noble cause. I'm sure they could twist and bastardize biblcal text to say the church and state are separate in this
instance but have a double standard when it comes to church ideology and belief running the state.
[+] 1 user Likes Goddammit's post
01-07-2012, 12:30 AM
A church tax would pretty much wipe out the national debt. It's a wasted revenue, generated by frightening the mindless. And there are a lot of those.

BUT, one phrase ends it all.

No taxation without representation.

If the government took money from the church, then the church would be entitled to influencing where the government puts that money. They already spend their days trying to tell the government what to do... imagine if they actually had legal recourse. There would be uproars that church money is funding abortion clinics and helping schools teach evolution. Plus church goers would simply start giving their money directly to the preachers to bypass the tax.

The money would be greatly beneficial, but not nearly worth all the other baggage. Keep the church as far away from the government as possible.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 3 users Like Buddy Christ's post
01-07-2012, 12:37 AM
I disagree with you Buddy, the people in the church are represented, the church is a damn business, and they should be treated like it. Same rights, restrictions, and taxes.
01-07-2012, 01:04 AM
(01-07-2012 12:30 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  A church tax would pretty much wipe out the national debt. It's a wasted revenue, generated by frightening the mindless. And there are a lot of those.

BUT, one phrase ends it all.

No taxation without representation.

If the government took money from the church, then the church would be entitled to influencing where the government puts that money. They already spend their days trying to tell the government what to do... imagine if they actually had legal recourse. There would be uproars that church money is funding abortion clinics and helping schools teach evolution. Plus church goers would simply start giving their money directly to the preachers to bypass the tax.

The money would be greatly beneficial, but not nearly worth all the other baggage. Keep the church as far away from the government as possible.
what a load of crap.
If I owned a business and paid say 30% tax. I can't then tell the government where to spend my 30% tax I paid to them. Sure you can protest or whatever that the government should be doing this that or the other but church groups already do that.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
01-07-2012, 01:38 AM
(01-07-2012 01:04 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  what a load of crap.
If I owned a business and paid say 30% tax. I can't then tell the government where to spend my 30% tax I paid to them. Sure you can protest or whatever that the government should be doing this that or the other but church groups already do that.

You DO have a voice through being taxed. Unfortunately, you don't have the numbers behind you for anyone to listen. The church has a much louder voice. The top 1% hold sway over government policies because they have trillions of reasons for the government to take notice. Likewise, the church would suddenly have millions of people all demanding to be heard.

Here are a few more problems:

The Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment of the US Constitution bars the US government from limiting the free expression of religion. By demanding church taxes, the government becomes empowered to penalize or shut down churches if they default on their payments. The US Supreme Court confirmed this in McCulloch v. Maryland (1819) when it stated: "the power to tax involves the power to destroy."

Churches earn their tax-exemption by contributing to the public good. Churches offer numerous social services to people in need, including soup kitchens, homeless shelters, afterschool programs for poor families, assistance to victims of domestic violence, etc. These efforts relieve government of doing work it would otherwise be obliged to undertake.

The only constitutionally valid way of taxing churches would be to tax all nonprofit charities, otherwise the government would be treating churches differently, purely because of their religious nature. This action would place undue financial pressure on the 960,000 public charities that aid and enrich US society.

I would like the church to be taxed. but it's just not so black and white. If anything, the government should be able to tax preachers and ministers themselves who use donation money to live in mansions. Donations should be spent on things that are helpful to society, not to fill the pockets of snake oil salesmen.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
01-07-2012, 01:42 AM
Alternative solution:
Anyone who pays tithes / donates to any church / gets tax exemption etc. does not get to use anything paid for and maintained by the state i.e. roads, hospitals, schools.
These folk could legitimately argue therefore, that they shouldn't pay tax but I say ok... choose church or state.

"Hi, this is 911 what service would you like?"
"My house is on fire"
"Theist or Atheist?"
"Theist"
"Sorry, it is an act of god and you are not covered... try praying"

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post