Taxes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-03-2017, 05:05 PM (This post was last modified: 26-03-2017 05:12 PM by earmuffs.)
RE: Taxes
(26-03-2017 09:26 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(25-03-2017 10:34 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Well if the healthcare debacle is anything to go on, hopefully he'll just get rid of the tax system and be unable to get a replacement through.
At least that way without the need to pay taxes you could afford to go to the doctor.

You pay ~$56US ($80 Maori) to see your GP, I pay $20. Tongue

You pay how much in health insurance? Or how much in medical fees if you say, break your arm? And how much does your ball cream cost?

I don't pay for any of that.

And besides, I go to an expensive GP, there are $40 GPs around ($25USD). ]
Not to mention you can get it even cheaper if you have a community service card (which you can get if you're on some sort of benefit and I think you can just straight up apply for it as well I'm not sure though).
And if you have kids, well the kids go to the GP for free. Hell, if you're a first time mother, Plunket (an organization here run by mothers for mothers), will send out a Plunket nurse every week to teach and advise the new mother and ensure the health of the baby up to I believe 6 months and than they spread the visits out over longer periods until they're no longer needed.

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-03-2017, 05:25 PM (This post was last modified: 26-03-2017 05:44 PM by GirlyMan.)
(26-03-2017 05:05 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(26-03-2017 09:26 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You pay ~$56US ($80 Maori) to see your GP, I pay $20. Tongue

You pay how much in health insurance?

$375/month.

(26-03-2017 05:05 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Or how much in medical fees if you say, break your arm?

$35

(26-03-2017 05:05 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  And how much does your ball cream cost?

$35 / month. Generic drugs are free.

(26-03-2017 05:05 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I don't pay for any of that.

You get testosterone gel for free?

Checking Aetna's cost estimator for my plan it seems I only pay $35 for chemotherapy and radiation too. $35 must be some magic number.

#sigh
26-03-2017, 05:47 PM (This post was last modified: 26-03-2017 05:53 PM by Full Circle.)
(26-03-2017 04:07 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(26-03-2017 12:24 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I put it in a Dropbox named TTA Tax, anyone can access it. Let me know if you have a problem with it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/77nfqo866tsnhn....xlsx?dl=0

Thanks. I'll play around with it, and post my results.

You do need to change the formula in cell I38 to =(I30-A38)*C38

You are taxing that group at 42% like they had $3.5 million of income, but they had less. I haven't checked the rest of the cells for similar errors.

Yes, good catch. The cell now shows $940,122
I uploaded the change to the Dropbox and named it Taxation1

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
26-03-2017, 06:15 PM
(26-03-2017 05:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(26-03-2017 05:05 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  You pay how much in health insurance?

$375/month.

(26-03-2017 05:05 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Or how much in medical fees if you say, break your arm?

$35

(26-03-2017 05:05 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  And how much does your ball cream cost?

$35 / month. Generic drugs are free.

(26-03-2017 05:05 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I don't pay for any of that.

You get testosterone gel for free?

Checking Aetna's cost estimator for my plan it seems I only pay $35 for chemotherapy and radiation too. $35 must be some magic number.

Sorry I meant, how much would you have to pay for a broken arm or other treatment if you DIDN'T have health insurance.

And $375 is a hell of a lot of money.. That's $530NZD. I couldn't afford even close to that, that's basically half my months wages (I do only work part time but still, even at full time that'd be around a weeks wages).

And you're bragging that you get slightly cheaper GP visits than me??
Dude...

I'm just trying to get my mind around this. The US minimum is $7.25 an hour (just for interest, ours is $10.75USD an hour).

I know you earn a lot more than minimum wage Girly, but if you were on minimum wage how the fuck would you afford your healthcare plan?
$7.25 an hour at 40 hours a week is $290 (before tax but you'd earn so little I doubt you pay much if any tax). $93.75 for health insurance leaves you with $196.25 a week for rent (because you sure as shit wouldn't have a mortgage), food, electricity, phone, probably cell phone, internet, maybe car (which includes petrol, repairs, registration etc..) and if you have children ontop of that that's an added huge expense.

It's ridiculous. And the republicans love to complain about welfare? How the people on welfare are ruining the country?? Bitch please, you have trapped these people into an economic shit storm between low wages and very very high healthcare costs. Of course they're on welfare, they're on welfare because you (American government) have subsidized companies so much in the form of lower wages and created this whole "welfare sector" called 'health insurance' that you have to give welfare to the poor because the poor are giving welfare to the rich!
It's fucking ridiculous, you guys have the weirdest most fucked economic system.

26-03-2017, 06:33 PM
(26-03-2017 06:15 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I'm just trying to get my mind around this. The US minimum is $7.25 an hour (just for interest, ours is $10.75USD an hour).

Incredibly enough minimum wage is not the same throughout the 50 States.

"The minimum wage in the United States is set by a network of federal, state, and local laws. Employers generally must pay workers the highest minimum wage prescribed by federal, state, or summer local law. As of July 2016, the federal government mandates a nationwide minimum wage of $7.25 per hour. There are 29 states with a minimum wage higher than the federal minimum as of October 18, 2016. From 2014 to 2015, nine states increased their minimum wage levels through automatic adjustments, while increases in 11 other states occurred through referendum or legislative action. In real terms, the federal minimum wage peaked near $10.00 per hour in 1968, using 2014 inflation-adjusted dollars.”
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_wa...ted_States

But don’t go to Wyoming or Georgia, for a reason I don’t understand their minimum wage is $5.15 Huh
http://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-and-e...chart.aspx

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
26-03-2017, 06:45 PM
(26-03-2017 06:15 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  And $375 is a hell of a lot of money.. That's $530NZD.

The insurance actually costs $1500/month but my employer picks up 75%.

(26-03-2017 06:15 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I know you earn a lot more than minimum wage Girly, but if you were on minimum wage how the fuck would you afford your healthcare plan?

I couldn't. I'd have to go on Medicaid.

(26-03-2017 06:15 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  It's ridiculous. And the republicans love to complain about welfare? How the people on welfare are ruining the country?? Bitch please, you have trapped these people into an economic shit storm between low wages and very very high healthcare costs. Of course they're on welfare, they're on welfare because you (American government) have subsidized companies so much in the form of lower wages and created this whole "welfare sector" called 'health insurance' that you have to give welfare to the poor because the poor are giving welfare to the rich!
It's fucking ridiculous, you guys have the weirdest most fucked economic system.

That's pretty much the gist of it.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
26-03-2017, 07:10 PM
(26-03-2017 06:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(26-03-2017 06:15 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  And $375 is a hell of a lot of money.. That's $530NZD.
The insurance actually costs $1500/month but my employer picks up 75%.
Back in 2006 or so when my late wife realized her days were numbered, she took early retirement in the form of an annuity with me as the beneficiary. I therefore have a sweetheart deal. Rather than pay some ridiculous premium as a self employed worker, I have the same insurance as my late wife would have if she were still alive and working (or retired). I pay about $100 a month for it. The real cost of this plan in 2006 was $1750 a month. So it's more like 95% subsidized. And it's the sort of health insurance almost no one gets anymore: low deductible, low co-pay, and generous coverage. Talk about survivor's guilt!

The reason I know the true cost is because she retired super early I had to pay the unsubsidized cost for almost a year, until she reached her 55th birthday.

It's nuts that really good coverage even a decade ago cost approaching $2K per month in US dollars. It is a good illustration of the out of control costs in our health care system.

By contrast I pay $425 a month for my current wife's shitty high-deductible, high-copay policy, with no ACA subsidies. The only comfort there is there's an annual medical expense maximum / cap after which the insurance pays 100% -- the catch being it only pays 100% of what it covers / approves. That, and we have enough income to fund a tax-free health savings account.

My son used to pay about $65 a month on the sliding scale because he was a low-income, minimum-wage worker. He was actually better off in terms of health insurance during periods when he was even poorer than that, and qualified for Medicaid. Not only were the premiums $0, the coverage was far better. But -- and this is the important point -- before the Affordable Care Act / "Obamacare" he had NO insurance AT ALL. He went without. When I found out he had health needs that were critical I sent him to my doctor and paid out of pocket. How many people can't afford to do that for their children? Quite a lot I expect.

Yes, health care in 'Murica is a funhouse hall of mirrors. I have zero doubt that it kills significant numbers of people who would thrive in more civilized countries.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
26-03-2017, 07:33 PM
Quote:But don’t go to Wyoming or Georgia, for a reason I don’t understand their minimum wage is $5.15 Huh

Quote:The insurance actually costs $1500/month but my employer picks up 75%.

This is seriously doing my head in.
It also explains why you guys react the way you did in the past to some of my views, because my views make sense in the NZ point of view but most certainly not when it comes to the US. Homelessness for example. Fucking stupid here, there's no reason why you should be homeless here there's just far too many steps in place to prevent it. BUT in the States.. totally get it. New found sympathy for US homeless people. They are getting/got fucking SCREWED by your system hard.
Complete new understanding for poor people in your country. This whole healthcare thing in the past couple weeks, especially when I hear how much it costs like actual numbers, coupled with your low wages etc.. Completely different perspective for people living in your country.

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
26-03-2017, 07:55 PM
[Image: 9iwjli.jpg]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
27-03-2017, 07:20 AM
(26-03-2017 07:33 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:But don’t go to Wyoming or Georgia, for a reason I don’t understand their minimum wage is $5.15 Huh

Quote:The insurance actually costs $1500/month but my employer picks up 75%.

This is seriously doing my head in.
It also explains why you guys react the way you did in the past to some of my views, because my views make sense in the NZ point of view but most certainly not when it comes to the US. Homelessness for example. Fucking stupid here, there's no reason why you should be homeless here there's just far too many steps in place to prevent it. BUT in the States.. totally get it. New found sympathy for US homeless people. They are getting/got fucking SCREWED by your system hard.
Complete new understanding for poor people in your country. This whole healthcare thing in the past couple weeks, especially when I hear how much it costs like actual numbers, coupled with your low wages etc.. Completely different perspective for people living in your country.
Another point is that a lot of our homeless people (and a lot of the people in our prisons) are there because they are mentally ill. JFK emptied out the mental hospitals in 1963 in a well-meaning but totally misguided belief that the new pharmacological approach to mental health management would be totally satisfactory and effective (this was even before SSRIs, I think Thorazine was one of the drugs concerning which there was a lot of unjustified euphoria and hype at the time). The idea was to build community mental health centers where people would receive medication and treatment, but they ran out of money and couldn't build them nearly fast enough and, of course, drugs just weren't that terrific of a slam-dunk answer. Most of those people ended up on the street, and the ones that were particularly dysfunctional / delusional ended up in jail.

This is widely considered one of the more spectacularly awful policy decisions of that decade; it was so far-reachingly bad that I remember it registered on my radar even as a child because I noticed odd-acting people in public places frequently and heard adults freaking out about how Uncle Fred was off his meds again and running wild in the streets.

We Americans really know how to screw up health care, let me tell you.