Taxing the Churches

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2013, 09:16 PM
Taxing the Churches
As I'm new here, I don't know how often the topic of taxing churches comes up. I'm not trying to push some political agenda or anything but was just wondering what the atheist standpoint is towards this subject.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-07-2013, 09:31 PM
RE: Taxing the Churches
Care to hazard a guess?

I mean I guess if you where Ayn Rand you might be against it simply on grounds that you hate all taxes more than you care about churches or the lack of churches...But I suspect most of us (myself included) would say to tax them, tax them, and then tax them again....Ever been in a Byzantine church? Everything is gold platted/gold leaf...They aren't going to miss it and besides Jesus admired poverty and fought against the establishment.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-07-2013, 09:35 PM
Yeah... I think I read somewhere that America is kept from 71 billion dollars a year because churches are tax-exempt. Even though that's only like. 5% of the national debt. I honestly don't know how much it'd help.
31-07-2013, 09:51 PM
(31-07-2013 09:35 PM)cheezepye Wrote:  Yeah... I think I read somewhere that America is kept from 71 billion dollars a year because churches are tax-exempt. Even though that's only like. 5% of the national debt. I honestly don't know how much it'd help.

As long as it wasn't being wasted on no bid bullshit and stuff like 22 million dollar fighter planes and golden parachutes it would go a very long way. We could probably get back on track by forcing the multi-nationals to pay their taxes, taxing the churches, ending the wars, not building a giant fence accross Mexico, etc. You don't need to cut services or raise taxes, you just need to spend smart.

31-07-2013, 10:00 PM
According to [1] US debit is increasing by $2.22 billion per day, or 8.1 trillion per year. If your figure of 71 billion is right then that would pay for 9% of the nation's deficit... Wink

[1] http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
01-08-2013, 12:57 AM
Not a high priority for me. I'd rather prosecute their kiddie-fiddlers.

I AM he who is called... cat furniture.
01-08-2013, 02:21 AM
Right wingers kick and scream about the national debt and how Obama is ruining the country, then you bring up taxes for churches being a viable income for the gov. and they freak the fuck out.

I saw a Bill O'reilly interview where he told his guest that it was unconstitutional to tax churches.

Shock And Awe Tactics-- The "application of massive or overwhelming force" to "disarm, incapacitate, or render the enemy impotent with as few casualties to ourselves and to noncombatants as possible"
01-08-2013, 07:48 AM
(01-08-2013 02:21 AM)Likos02 Wrote:  I saw a Bill O'reilly interview where he told his guest that it was unconstitutional to tax churches.

That's because it currently is.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
01-08-2013, 09:14 AM
Forget direct taxation, I'd be deliriously happy if we'd just defund the atavistic religious school boards we're constitutionally saddled with.

In conservative Ontario, religion taxes you!

Fucking travesty.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
01-08-2013, 09:28 AM
(01-08-2013 07:48 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(01-08-2013 02:21 AM)Likos02 Wrote:  I saw a Bill O'reilly interview where he told his guest that it was unconstitutional to tax churches.

That's because it currently is.

Well, sort of. It's not addressed in the Constitution.

The legal argument is based on the idea that the use of taxation is open to unfair
differential taxation, thereby favoring or disfavoring various religions inequitably.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]