Tazer guns

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2014, 03:21 PM
Tazer guns
We have an election coming up here in Victoria shortly and an issue regards supplying all police with tazer guns has surfaced.In all other states except here and Tasmania they are supplied to all members.
Seems some think they may be used indiscriminately.
Any views relevant to your necks of the wood?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-10-2014, 03:51 PM
RE: Tazer guns
(20-10-2014 03:21 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  We have an election coming up here in Victoria shortly and an issue regards supplying all police with tazer guns has surfaced.In all other states except here and Tasmania they are supplied to all members.

In my neck of the woods a Cop has to fill out more paperwork for using a taser than his service pistol.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
20-10-2014, 03:58 PM
(20-10-2014 03:51 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(20-10-2014 03:21 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  We have an election coming up here in Victoria shortly and an issue regards supplying all police with tazer guns has surfaced.In all other states except here and Tasmania they are supplied to all members.

In my neck of the woods a Cop has to fill out more paperwork for using a taser than his service pistol.

#America Rolleyes
20-10-2014, 04:02 PM
(20-10-2014 03:58 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  
(20-10-2014 03:51 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  In my neck of the woods a Cop has to fill out more paperwork for using a taser than his service pistol.

#America Rolleyes

Firing a gun need to be justified "Was your life or another civilians life in danger" pretty straight forward. Using a potentially lethal alternative is trickier to justify. "Why did you feel the need to put the suspect down but did not feel that lethal force was required?" In most cases using a Taser is seen as an over reaction.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
20-10-2014, 04:24 PM
They've been used a bit indiscriminately here...

I remember a very big news story where the police used one on an old man who was sitting on a bus unresponsive. He appeared to be awake and just refusing to move, but had actually had a stroke and was in a cataleptic state.

And there was a local news story about a bloke being tased by police for refusing to stub out a cigarette.

There've been quite a lot of incidents over the past few years... Usually cases of the police using the things unnecessarily. There've been a few deaths too.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-10-2014, 08:27 PM
I'm pretty sure the pattern is that non-lethal weapons are generally used to replace talking to people rather than to replace lethal weapons. I read an article about it a couple of years ago about how shootings didn't decrease, just people tended to be tazed and then go to prison for 'resisting arrest' rather than being talked to and treated like human beings. It's supposed to replace firearms for incidents, but of course asking a fundamentally corrupt organisation to do something like that is probably asking too much.

If anyone knows of the article could you link it? I can't get onto google right now for some reason xD

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
21-10-2014, 09:27 PM
I wonder what the effects of tazing would be on an epileptic person?
Since epileptic seizures have a lot to do with electrical activity in the brain, can tazing induce seizures? Could it be more likely to be fatal tazing someone with epilepsy?
Are police trained to help victims of a tazing if it goes wrong?
Are police required to ask a person about medical problems they might have before they taze them?
I imagine tazing someone with a pacemaker could be problematic for the person with the pacemaker.
All the videos I've seen of tazings, I've never heard a cop ask about health issues before firing.
I think these are issues that need to be addressed.

Don't taze me bro!
22-10-2014, 08:13 AM
(21-10-2014 08:27 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  I'm pretty sure the pattern is that non-lethal weapons are generally used to replace talking to people rather than to replace lethal weapons. I read an article about it a couple of years ago about how shootings didn't decrease, just people tended to be tazed and then go to prison for 'resisting arrest' rather than being talked to and treated like human beings. It's supposed to replace firearms for incidents, but of course asking a fundamentally corrupt organisation to do something like that is probably asking too much.

If anyone knows of the article could you link it? I can't get onto google right now for some reason xD

You are claiming that every law enforcement agency is fundamentally corrupt?

That's quite a claim.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-10-2014, 08:24 AM
My only experience is with my children, they jam their fingers into a persons ribs to tickle them and scream in laughter that they've been tazed!!
I don't know where they picked it up, but seems to be a generational thing because kids at their new school do it too.

being tazed by surprise can make you spill your coffee, something about that awkward squirming of the body.

tazers are becoming the norm for the next generation, not sure if I'm ok with that or not.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
22-10-2014, 09:02 AM (This post was last modified: 22-10-2014 09:13 AM by Cetaceaphile.)
(22-10-2014 08:13 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-10-2014 08:27 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  I'm pretty sure the pattern is that non-lethal weapons are generally used to replace talking to people rather than to replace lethal weapons. I read an article about it a couple of years ago about how shootings didn't decrease, just people tended to be tazed and then go to prison for 'resisting arrest' rather than being talked to and treated like human beings. It's supposed to replace firearms for incidents, but of course asking a fundamentally corrupt organisation to do something like that is probably asking too much.

You are claiming that every law enforcement agency is fundamentally corrupt?

That's quite a claim.

I don't think it's a particularly big claim since that is how law enforcement shows itself all over the world. True in the civilised world it's somewhat covered up, or punished by a higher authority, but even then it is often pretty bad without even making an effort to look better in many cases. Go outside of the civilised world though and law enforcement is outwardly and proudly corrupt.
Even in England, where law enforcement gets its head kicked in by the government for the slightest mistake, entrapment is considered a very viable method of rounding people up. Hasn't gotten to the point of imposing arrest quotas on officers yet, but where America goes; Britain often follows...

Bows and Arrows: That seems like a rather more pleasant game than we played when I was at school. We had a game which involved punching people so hard that they couldn't use their arm for 6 hours, or slapping people so hard on the back that they'd bleed.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.