Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No 1....Martha Argerich

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2016, 03:03 PM
Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No 1....Martha Argerich
Holy fuck! How do people play the piano like this. This woman is amazing, simply amazing. The whole piano must have gotten hot by the end of the performance. I'm surprised it didn't catch fire. I've never heard of her either.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like dancefortwo's post
10-05-2016, 03:16 PM
RE: Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No 1....Martha Argerich
(10-05-2016 03:03 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Holy fuck! How do people play the piano like this. This woman is amazing, simply amazing. The whole piano must have gotten hot by the end of the performance. I'm surprised it didn't catch fire. I've never heard of her either.

I have heard of her -- she is generally considered one of the greatest living pianists, if not the greatest. I have a bunch of her recordings, including this one.

Aside from that, this particular concerto has been one of my favorite pieces of music since childhood, no matter who is playing it.
10-05-2016, 03:19 PM
She's fabulous. Here she is in one of my favorites, Prokofiev Piano Concerto #3

and for something completely different

[+] 3 users Like julep's post
10-05-2016, 03:30 PM
(10-05-2016 03:16 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(10-05-2016 03:03 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Holy fuck! How do people play the piano like this. This woman is amazing, simply amazing. The whole piano must have gotten hot by the end of the performance. I'm surprised it didn't catch fire. I've never heard of her either.

I have heard of her -- she is generally considered one of the greatest living pianists, if not the greatest. I have a bunch of her recordings, including this one.

Aside from that, this particular concerto has been one of my favorite pieces of music since childhood, no matter who is playing it.

Damn. I've been living under a rock or something. Her Tchaikovsky piece made me cry. I'm astonished.

My dad took me to see Van Cliburn when I was about 6 or 7 and he played that piece. I was too young to appreciate it though.

10-05-2016, 03:34 PM
that you remembered from that age is remarkable in itself.
10-05-2016, 03:57 PM
(10-05-2016 03:30 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(10-05-2016 03:16 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I have heard of her -- she is generally considered one of the greatest living pianists, if not the greatest. I have a bunch of her recordings, including this one.

Damn. I've been living under a rock or something. Her Tchaikovsky piece made me cry. I'm astonished.

My dad took me to see Van Cliburn when I was about 6 or 7 and he played that piece. I was too young to appreciate it though.

Call me a classical music nerd, but I'm pretty sure I have the Van Cliburn recording of it. It's one of his claims to fame. If you got to hear him play it live, I am jealous.

Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
10-05-2016, 04:20 PM
(10-05-2016 03:34 PM)skyking Wrote:  that you remembered from that age is remarkable in itself.

My dad talked about Van Cliburn playing that piece for years afterwards so that's what I mostly remember. My aunt was a concert pianist for a short time. She accompanied Isaac Stern for a while but gave it up. The stress was overwhelming. The perfection required in the classical music world is grueling and she just couldn't take it. I grew up around classical music and love it dearly.

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
11-05-2016, 12:16 PM
Here's a beautiful little Tchaikovsky piece which was transcribed by Rachmaninoff:

[+] 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
11-05-2016, 01:25 PM
(10-05-2016 03:19 PM)julep Wrote:  She's fabulous. Here she is in one of my favorites, Prokofiev Piano Concerto #3

Wouldn't it be super neat to have her brain scanned in one of those MRI scanners while she was playing that Prokofiev piece? I wonder what it would look like? I'd think it would be lit up like a firecracker everywhere.

My dad was a classically trained pianist and he played almost every day for an hour or so. Of course, some days he'd get too busy with work and not play at all. We had this rinky-dink upright piano he got from the high school where he was a teacher. They were going to throw it away! but he rescued it and had it tuned. He later got a better piano when we could afford it. When he died 8 years ago I couldn't listen to classical music for several years. I don't know why. I guess it made me too sad to listen to it. I had too many memories of him playing. But I'm starting to listen to the classics again. It's good again.

11-05-2016, 06:01 PM
(11-05-2016 01:25 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(10-05-2016 03:19 PM)julep Wrote:  She's fabulous. Here she is in one of my favorites, Prokofiev Piano Concerto #3

Wouldn't it be super neat to have her brain scanned in one of those MRI scanners while she was playing that Prokofiev piece? I wonder what it would look like? I'd think it would be lit up like a firecracker everywhere.

My dad was a classically trained pianist and he played almost every day for an hour or so. Of course, some days he'd get too busy with work and not play at all. We had this rinky-dink upright piano he got from the high school where he was a teacher. They were going to throw it away! but he rescued it and had it tuned. He later got a better piano when we could afford it. When he died 8 years ago I couldn't listen to classical music for several years. I don't know why. I guess it made me too sad to listen to it. I had too many memories of him playing. But I'm starting to listen to the classics again. It's good again.

Funny you should use the term firecracker, because evidently that's just what it would look like. From the article linked below about a TED thing (ww.npr.org/sections/deceptivecadence/2014/11/20/365461587/musicians-brains-really-do-work-differently-in-a-good-way)

""Did you know that every time musicians pick up their instruments, there are fireworks going off all over their brain?"

That's the launching point for a fantastic little video made by educator Anita Collins and animator Sharon Colman Graham for TED-Ed. What they explain is that while listening to music is beneficial, playing music is "the brain's equivalent of a full-body workout."

What's more: Neuroscientists have found that some of these aspects of mental work are different from any other activity studied, including playing sports or engaging in various creative pursuits."

I used to play piano a fair amount, a couple of hours or more a day. Now I do the minimum that keeps my piano teaching skills intact because I weakened my left hand due to practicing through a sprained wrist. I have to save my fingers for the clarinet. I really miss not being able to dive into piano the way I used to. I'm glad you're able to enjoy classical music again.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post