Teach me: Forms of Life

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2013, 11:27 AM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2013 11:31 AM by kingschosen.)
Teach me: Forms of Life
Why does life have to come from carbon? Or, silicon (seems to be popular in scifi).

Why can't there be sodium-based life?

Or, bromine-based life?

Or, argon-based life?

Is everything else incapable of facilitating life except carbon and hypothetically silicon?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2013, 11:33 AM
RE: Educate me: Forms of Life
Evolution is a process and DNA is that process, much like shuffling a deck of cards, removing cards and adding cards and the top one flipped is the outward perception we observe as the outcome of an ever going process. Right now as we constantly observe DNA is a range of changing carbon formations. If different data comes about to change our current observations, science will and should adapt to better data.

It is not a matter of "could it", it is a matter of this is our best data so far.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-12-2013, 11:35 AM
RE: Teach me: Forms of Life
I'm not sure that it has to be carbon based, it's just that on this planet it is.
Who knows what else is possible out there.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 2 users Like Slowminded's post
11-12-2013, 11:38 AM
(11-12-2013 11:27 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Why does life have to come from carbon? Or, silicon (seems to be popular in scifi).

Why can't there be sodium-based life?

Or, bromine-based life?

Or, argon-based life?

Is everything else incapable of facilitating life except carbon and hypothetically silicon?

It is because there is just more carbon around. Other elements are just too rare to be used by widespread lifeforms.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
11-12-2013, 11:38 AM
Carbon is a chemical slut, so it makes a lot of different molecules that are useful for life, other elements couldn't do that as far as we know.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 7 users Like nach_in's post
11-12-2013, 11:44 AM
Ted Talks

inorganic matter into living matter talk- synthetic biologysyntheic biology, evolution, chemistry

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
11-12-2013, 12:01 PM
I don't have time to watch this all the way thru, it might be carbon based, but its first synthetic cell bacterium. It's parent was a computer…..

synthetic cell announcement

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
11-12-2013, 12:04 PM
(11-12-2013 11:38 AM)nach_in Wrote:  Carbon is a chemical slut, so it makes a lot of different molecules that are useful for life, other elements couldn't do that as far as we know.

It is the trollop of the periodic table. Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
11-12-2013, 12:07 PM
(11-12-2013 11:38 AM)nach_in Wrote:  Carbon is a chemical slut, so it makes a lot of different molecules that are useful for life, other elements couldn't do that as far as we know.

Quote:as far as we know.

Exactly, which is based on our best current data. I hate the OP because it is mere mental masturbation. Whatever future data we find will only update our current data. My safe "bet" is whatever changes we might find would still be part of the range we see now, not separate from it.

This type of mental masturbation leads to religion and superstition and pseudo science.

Lets just go with what we have, and work on what we can find out and refrain from wild speculation.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-12-2013, 12:56 PM
So, a sodium-based life form is possible... given the right conditions?

I mean... could any element support life if it was given the right conditions?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]