Teach me: Forms of Life

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-12-2013, 07:13 AM
RE: Teach me: Forms of Life
(14-12-2013 06:05 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(14-12-2013 05:51 AM)Chas Wrote:  Other elements can't bond such a variety of ways as carbon.
We don't see other elements acting like carbon because they can't.

It would be one thing if carbon was the only element that could bond with other elements....but this is not the case. Carbon does it more readily, but other elements still do it....so why don't we see life...just to a lessor extent with other bases? Maybe life is contrived.

I also find it interesting that the formation of carbon itself has the appearance of being contrived. Fred Hoyle, a staunch atheist, discovered the tri-alpha process by which carbon is created. Commenting on his discovery he remarked that it appeared that some super intelligence had monkeyed with the laws of physics.

Or maybe your argument is contrived. You see intelligence and purpose where none is evident.

Other elements don't have the variety of bonds, including self-bonding, that carbon has, so there simply isn't the opportunity for complexity of compounds and reactions that carbon provides.

Hoyle had a lot of quirky ideas.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-12-2013, 09:53 AM
(11-12-2013 11:44 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Ted Talks

inorganic matter into living matter talk- synthetic biologysyntheic biology, evolution, chemistry

did anyone even bother to look at this (back on page 1) no carbon, life from inorganic matter….this is what this guy is working on.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
14-12-2013, 11:09 AM
(14-12-2013 09:53 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  ...
did anyone even bother to look at this (back on page 1)

Yes. But knew that oredi.

This thread perhaps begs the question... Life, as we know it, is organic chemistry (Hydrogen, Carbon, Oxygen)... 'Life' is a model (axiom).

Unless we define 'life' as 'the evolution of stuff', in which case, given a different environment and enough time, yes but the conditions for the processes enabling 'growth' and 'division' need to be available.

16-12-2013, 10:58 AM
(14-12-2013 06:05 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I also find it interesting that the formation of carbon itself has the appearance of being contrived. Fred Hoyle, a staunch atheist, discovered the tri-alpha process by which carbon is created. Commenting on his discovery he remarked that it appeared that some super intelligence had monkeyed with the laws of physics.

Yup, only a matter of time before BJ or PJ would show up with something like this. Thanks for playing!
[+] 1 user Likes devilsadvoc8's post