Teach men not to rape!

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
10-06-2014, 03:57 PM
RE: Teach men not to rape!
(10-06-2014 03:28 PM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  
(09-06-2014 05:56 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  There are way too many factors involved here to put the blame on any one group.

No, there's only one group to blame. The rapists.

The issue isn't who is to blame. The issue is one of safety and personal responsibility. These feminists don't seem to have any regard for women's safety, which makes one wonder what feminism is really about. Of course the rapist is the one to blame, but to use that as an excuse to tell women that they can just do whatever they like is stupid. If you just do whatever you like without regard to your own safety, then it's kind of like leaving your door open, on purpose, knowing what could happen, and then not accepting any responsibility for the consequences, should they happen. It's just common sense to look after yourself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2014, 04:14 PM
I will need to go back and reread a bit later, as I am work on my phone, so it's harder to keep track of everything, much less to cite sources.

I need to correct a statement I made, we should not only do our best to empower and embolden women who have been assaulted, but we should strive to do that for anyone who has been assaulted men included, and also children.

Regarding the definition of rape, consider the following: "Inconsistent definitions of rape, different rates of reporting, recording, prosecution and conviction for rape create controversial statistical disparities, and lead to accusations that many rape statistics are unreliable or misleading. According to USA Today reporter Kevin Johnson "no other major category of crime – not murder, assault or robbery – has generated a more serious challenge of the credibility of national crime statistics" than rape." ["Rape statistics not crystal clear" by Kevin Johnson, USA Today, November 19, 1998]

Also, I'm not sure how 99% of rapists can be men when: "According to the National Crime Victimization Survey by the Bureau of Justice Statistics, 39,590 men and 164,240 women were victims of rape, attempted rape, or sexual assault in 2008. Of those committed by a single offender, 78.1% were committed by men and 18.5% were committed by women. Of those committed by multiple offenders, 75.7% were committed by only men and 24.3% were committed by both men and women."
[ "Criminal Victimization in the United States, 2008 Statistical Tables: Demography of victims". Bureau of Justice Statistics. May 2011.
"Criminal Victimization in the United States, 2008 Statistical Tables: Victims and offenders". Bureau of Justice Statistics. May 2011.]

Imagine yourself back in school, if they had tried to teach all of the guys in your class not to be a rapist, how would they react? They would blow it off.

I just think a policy if "teach men not to rape" is short sighted.

Let's do better than that and include in iur sex ed classes, "what is rape, and how can I prevent it?" And "Resources for victims of sexual assault". Teach everyone, not just one group. And don't just teach, keep doing research, see If we can find root causes, make self defense a mandatory PE class for everyone. But don't just single out one group an think you've solved the case, because we are far from a good understanding of te situation.

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-06-2014, 04:21 PM
I'm a feminist. I don't think teaching men not to rape is the answer. It's too late by that time. It's about teaching children! There are thousands of ways we teach children that male domination of women is okay. Religions do it, advertisers do it, parents do it, TV does it, toys do it, ad infinitum. If we do not busy ourselves by calling BS on micro-bigotry we will fail.
Getting raped is not, never has been, nor ever will be a victim's fault. It is always the rapist's fault. Do I know how to protect myself? Oh, yes! Will it always work? Maybe not. It seriously sucks that (predominenly) women have to learn special skills and take special precautions because they are statistically vulnerable.
[+] 1 user Likes CyberLN's post
10-06-2014, 04:40 PM
(10-06-2014 04:21 PM)CyberLN Wrote:  I'm a feminist. I don't think teaching men not to rape is the answer. It's too late by that time. It's about teaching children! There are thousands of ways we teach children that male domination of women is okay. Religions do it, advertisers do it, parents do it, TV does it, toys do it, ad infinitum. If we do not busy ourselves by calling BS on micro-bigotry we will fail.
Getting raped is not, never has been, nor ever will be a victim's fault. It is always the rapist's fault. Do I know how to protect myself? Oh, yes! Will it always work? Maybe not. It seriously sucks that (predominenly) women have to learn special skills and take special precautions because they are statistically vulnerable.

If you leave your front door open on purpose, thinking to yourself "if I get robbed, it's not my fault", would that make you a fool?
10-06-2014, 04:59 PM
(10-06-2014 04:40 PM)Kavos Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 04:21 PM)CyberLN Wrote:  I'm a feminist. I don't think teaching men not to rape is the answer. It's too late by that time. It's about teaching children! There are thousands of ways we teach children that male domination of women is okay. Religions do it, advertisers do it, parents do it, TV does it, toys do it, ad infinitum. If we do not busy ourselves by calling BS on micro-bigotry we will fail.

If you leave your front door open on purpose, thinking to yourself "if I get robbed, it's not my fault", would that make you a fool?

As I said, I do know how to protect myself. I take care to do so. There are bad people out there. If I get robbed, the robber is still the bad person. Not me. Apples and oranges. It still sucks that there are people more statistically vulnerable to becoming victims of crime because of their gender...because of the failure to teach children that dominance based on gender is wrong.
[+] 2 users Like CyberLN's post
10-06-2014, 05:05 PM
(10-06-2014 04:59 PM)CyberLN Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 04:40 PM)Kavos Wrote:  If you leave your front door open on purpose, thinking to yourself "if I get robbed, it's not my fault", would that make you a fool?

As I said, I do know how to protect myself. I take care to do so. There are bad people out there. If I get robbed, the robber is still the bad person. Not me. Apples and oranges. It still sucks that there are people more statistically vulnerable to becoming victims of crime because of their gender...because of the failure to teach children that dominance based on gender is wrong.

Oh right. The patriarchy. Once upon a time everything was blissful and men and women were completely equal in every single way. Then, one day, for some unknown reason, men just decided to oppress women on the ground of...erm...on the grounds of, well, erm...erm.
10-06-2014, 05:23 PM
(10-06-2014 04:40 PM)Kavos Wrote:  If you leave your front door open on purpose, thinking to yourself "if I get robbed, it's not my fault", would that make you a fool?

False dichotomy.

That's no different to saying that anyone who has their house broken into is at fault for not securing it properly.

Fact is that sometimes the precautions you take are not enough. It's also easy to look back in hindsight and think, yeah I should have stayed in that night.

You seem awfully keen to put the blame on the women Kavos. Next you'll be saying that the men can't help themselves. Sounds like you're trying to justify something to yourself.
10-06-2014, 05:26 PM
(10-06-2014 03:57 PM)Kavos Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 03:28 PM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  No, there's only one group to blame. The rapists.

The issue isn't who is to blame. The issue is one of safety and personal responsibility. These feminists don't seem to have any regard for women's safety, which makes one wonder what feminism is really about. Of course the rapist is the one to blame, but to use that as an excuse to tell women that they can just do whatever they like is stupid. If you just do whatever you like without regard to your own safety, then it's kind of like leaving your door open, on purpose, knowing what could happen, and then not accepting any responsibility for the consequences, should they happen. It's just common sense to look after yourself.

No, really, the only people to blame are the rapists. Anything else is victim blaming bullshit. And by coming out with this crap, you are contributing to the rape culture that allows so many people to get away with the crime.
10-06-2014, 05:26 PM
(10-06-2014 04:59 PM)CyberLN Wrote:  

How dare you be born a woman Tongue !
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
10-06-2014, 05:32 PM
(10-06-2014 05:23 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  

False dichotomy.

That's no different to saying that anyone who has their house broken into is at fault for not securing it properly.

Fact is that sometimes the precautions you take are not enough. It's also easy to look back in hindsight and think, yeah I should have stayed in that night.

You seem awfully keen to put the blame on the women Kavos. Next you'll be saying that the men can't help themselves. Sounds like you're trying to justify something to yourself.

You seem to have no regard for women's safety. You would rather see them get raped than be able to take care of themselves. And all because it's not their fault. It's not their fault but if you don't take measures to protect yourself or at least watch what you do and where you go, then you're a fool.