Teacher told me I was unintelligent.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Photo Teacher told me I was unintelligent.
Today in Spanish (2nd course) we were involved in an off topic discussion on intelligence and the growth of knowledge throughout the course of history.

In my opinion, most of the claims that people were making about today's generations being smarter were completely illogical, so I decided to give my two cents on the topic.

I don't remember what I said word for word, but my claim stated that every human for thousands of years has been relatively of the same intelligence, and that the only reason we have more knowledge is because we built upon the discoveries of those before us. My main point was that knowledge does not equate to intelligence, and my teacher seemed to like this point.

To this, my teacher told me that my claim was very logical and intelligent. However, she went on to claim that this was ironic, because I was not intelligent myself, mainly because I do not believe in a god.

At the time, this did not upset me whatsoever, and I have no clue as to why it did not. In retrospect, I am very upset about what she said, especially since it was in front of the entire class (most of whom are Christians).

To be honest, I felt a bit isolated in the moments following her ridiculous statement; separated from the crowd.

Everyone already knew that I was an atheist, and, if asked, I claimed that I was one. However, this separation from the crowd made me incredibly uncomfortable, and, luckily, the separation did not last for too long because we were quickly on a separate subject.

As a person who doubts my intelligence daily, this has only reiterated the statements that I tell myself every single day. And since this statement was from someone other than myself, it hurts even more than the low self-esteem that already resided inside of my mind daily.

If you were there, you would have been more upset by how she said it, rather than what she said.

I have always been relatively weary of my teacher's treatment and or respect of those that do not share her beliefs. She constantly talks about Jesus and her god, and this is viewed as OK because there are no other dissenters that I know of.

Many of you might tell me to get her in trouble. And to this I can only say that I do not want to, because I will only receive backlash from the Christians within my school, and my teacher's daughter, whom I have become ever closer to as a friend.

I am glad I got this off of my chest, because my father would be pissed if I told him, and he might take it into his own hands. My mother on the other hand, would be more upset at me, for the fact that I am an atheist.

Thank You if you read this entire post, I haven't been able to write as eloquently lately.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like UndercoverAtheist's post
15-11-2013, 06:46 PM
RE: Teacher told me I was unintelligent.
Your teacher needs to get that stick out of her cunt.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 6 users Like Question's post
15-11-2013, 06:49 PM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2013 07:50 PM by GirlyMan.)
Take comfort in the knowledge that you are more intelligent than your teacher and just leave it at that. Thumbsup

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
15-11-2013, 07:00 PM
Remember that not all teachers should be teachers and your's is a prime example of that.

I think going to your dad is a good idea, this teacher needs to stop bullying you and any other students she is treating badly.

But whatever you decide, don't take her words to heart...you certainly prove yourself to be well-spoken and intelligent here.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
15-11-2013, 07:06 PM
That makes me mad.

Ignoring the teacher promoting her religion in the classroom part, telling a student they are not intelligent is by itself completely unacceptable. Censored

I understand not wanting to rock the boat while you're in it, but is there any way your dad could call her out on it without necessarily getting her in trouble? It seems like it should at least be mentioned during parent teacher conferences.

Hang in there... Hug

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
15-11-2013, 07:10 PM
Why not simply seeing her after class to tell her that you didn't appreciate her comment and to further state that you haven't said anything to anyone because you wanted to give her the opportunity to explain her statement in case you misunderstood?

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
15-11-2013, 07:26 PM
(15-11-2013 06:46 PM)Question Wrote:  Your teacher needs to get that CACTUS out of her cunt.

fixed that for ya ;-)

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
15-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Unbelievable. Apparently there is this low-lying undercurrent of a "culture war" going on between you, whether you like it or want it or not. And also keep in mink that YOU are the one who is winning, because she is resorting to abusing her authority as a teacher to try and manipulate you through peer pressure into conceding. Which you have not. Well done. No matter which way this goes, KNOW that you are the one coming out on top every time. She wouldn't pull this sort of shit if that were not the case.

Keep your head up, keep smiling.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
15-11-2013, 07:38 PM
If it ever comes up again, make the point that "any good bullshitter can sound intelligent, its the people who can back it up or prove a point who are truly intelligent. For instance, if I were to say I believe an all powerful being named Gob created the universe, and base this belief on some ancient satirical poetry from a book called The Bibley, that statement wouldn't mean much unless I could prove it. It would be asinine to call non-believers unintelligent."

Just don't say "GOD" or "Bible" and you can deny anything they may think was an insult.
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
15-11-2013, 07:45 PM
Give her "The God Delusion" as a christmas present and say
"I saw this on the shelves and thought of you. If you have trouble with the concepts, don't be down on yourself. You can't blame your parents for raising you the way they did.
But what you can do is to try to be a better person in spite of it......Happy Holidays"

Big Grin

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post