Teacher told me I was unintelligent.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2013, 08:26 PM
RE: Teacher told me I was unintelligent.
write down the URL for http://ffrf.org or the ACLU or something, and under it write...

Quote:Don't ever ridicule me for my beliefs in class again or you will see just how smart I am.

Have a nice day,
Undercover

...Or you could just be the big man and let it go.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post
15-11-2013, 08:33 PM
(15-11-2013 08:26 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  write down the URL for http://ffrf.org or the ACLU or something, and under it write...

Quote:Don't ever ridicule me for my beliefs in class again or you will see just how smart I am.

Have a nice day,
Undercover

...Or you could just be the big man and let it go.

I like the evil genius vibe that I'm getting from you, but I think I will let it go this time.

If there is a next time, I will definitely come to you for a strategy to ensure that it does not happen again.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes UndercoverAtheist's post
15-11-2013, 08:59 PM
What kind of school do you go to? No teacher should ever tell a student they are unintelligent. I don't think teachers are allowed to push their religious views in public schools. Sounds like a case of a bad teacher to me.
15-11-2013, 09:10 PM
Perhaps a complaint to the principal is more in order.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
15-11-2013, 09:12 PM
(15-11-2013 09:10 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Perhaps a complaint to the principal is more in order.

Yes, but my experiences through me and my kids is that a parent will be taken much more seriously than a student.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
15-11-2013, 09:23 PM
I have to agree wholeheartedly with LostandInsecure and Anjele on this. Because you are saying 'teacher' and not 'professor,' I assume you are in high school? BIG no-no on the teacher's part! >_< If you go to a public school, even worse. I know it's a bigger deal if the teacher physically harms or harasses, but still. It's bad PR at the very least and a professional exhibiting bigotry/discrimination at worst.

If everyone has already forgotten about it and you don't want to stir the pot, then it's probably ok to drop it. Smile Just be on the lookout for anything similar in the future, especially if it happens on a regular basis. You've got to take action if it gets disruptive or heated. Someone like that doesn't need to be working as an educator.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
[+] 1 user Likes Cephalotus's post
15-11-2013, 09:40 PM
(15-11-2013 06:45 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  Today in Spanish (2nd course) we were involved in an off topic discussion on intelligence and the growth of knowledge throughout the course of history.

In my opinion, most of the claims that people were making about today's generations being smarter were completely illogical, so I decided to give my two cents on the topic.

I don't remember what I said word for word, but my claim stated that every human for thousands of years has been relatively of the same intelligence, and that the only reason we have more knowledge is because we built upon the discoveries of those before us. My main point was that knowledge does not equate to intelligence, and my teacher seemed to like this point.

To this, my teacher told me that my claim was very logical and intelligent. However, she went on to claim that this was ironic, because I was not intelligent myself, mainly because I do not believe in a god.

At the time, this did not upset me whatsoever, and I have no clue as to why it did not. In retrospect, I am very upset about what she said, especially since it was in front of the entire class (most of whom are Christians).

To be honest, I felt a bit isolated in the moments following her ridiculous statement; separated from the crowd.

Everyone already knew that I was an atheist, and, if asked, I claimed that I was one. However, this separation from the crowd made me incredibly uncomfortable, and, luckily, the separation did not last for too long because we were quickly on a separate subject.

As a person who doubts my intelligence daily, this has only reiterated the statements that I tell myself every single day. And since this statement was from someone other than myself, it hurts even more than the low self-esteem that already resided inside of my mind daily.

If you were there, you would have been more upset by how she said it, rather than what she said.

I have always been relatively weary of my teacher's treatment and or respect of those that do not share her beliefs. She constantly talks about Jesus and her god, and this is viewed as OK because there are no other dissenters that I know of.

Many of you might tell me to get her in trouble. And to this I can only say that I do not want to, because I will only receive backlash from the Christians within my school, and my teacher's daughter, whom I have become ever closer to as a friend.

I am glad I got this off of my chest, because my father would be pissed if I told him, and he might take it into his own hands. My mother on the other hand, would be more upset at me, for the fact that I am an atheist.

Thank You if you read this entire post, I haven't been able to write as eloquently lately.

I would say that you are being intelligent in maintaining your lack of God, but unintelligent in your putting up with such a teacher.
15-11-2013, 09:51 PM
You are clearly the more intelligent and mature one.

Twitter: @doubtingdragon
http://doubtingdragon.wordpress.com
15-11-2013, 10:56 PM
That sucks, I'm sorry you had to go through that. I know what you mean by being intelligent but always questioning your intelligence. And questioning it when others try to make you feel less than intelligent. As far as not wanting to make waves at the school. If she is really crossing boundaries, you could let American atheists know, and they could fight the battle for you without getting you involved or singling you out.

Good for you though for being "out and proud" at school Smile

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
15-11-2013, 11:16 PM
Next time she tries to humiliate you... Turn it around.

Give her a full on rant about why you don't believe. Bombard her with logic, reason and quotes from some of the great thinkers. Don't be afraid to raise your voice just because she's a teacher.

As long as you're sincere and not abusive, it might just make an impact...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user