Teaching Religion in Tennessee classrooms

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2015, 09:35 AM
Teaching Religion in Tennessee classrooms
An article about removing religious doctrine from Tennessee classrooms (http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local...n/330007/)

Kind of. It is a bill that limits the grades that can teach about different religions. This is primarily in response to a bunch of ignorant people who can't discern between their kids learning about Islam and being made to follow Islam (and it is Islam specifically, of course, that is the catalyst for this).

But my favorite quote is this one from Rep. Sheila Butt (ha), R-Columbia, TN that I love the most: "I think that probably the teaching that is going on right now in seventh, eighth grade is not age appropriate," and "They are not able to discern a lot of times whether its indoctrination or whether they're learning about what a religion teaches."

The religious are sooooooo close to admitting that "teaching" kids religion is indoctrination. Now, Ms (Mrs) Butt (ha) is of course only referring to Islam I assume. Because when your christian, logic is always one-sided towards your brand of illogic.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
13-10-2015, 09:55 AM (This post was last modified: 13-10-2015 10:03 AM by Lord Dark Helmet.)
RE: Teaching Religion in Tennessee classrooms
I do find the whole situation odd. We were living in Florida the last few years and my daughter was enrolled in high school. They did the history of Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, and Hinduism all in one chapter over a week. Islam had two chapters by itself over a 3 week period. The assignments were much different as well. You can Google the stories from various parents. Only in the Islam course did they learn about the different prayers and chants. And I mean they had to memorize Islamic prayers and recite them in front of the class. In the name of history, of course.

Nobody finds that odd?

Shits getting weird. Obama just removed pork products from federal prisons. Supposedly because the inmates took surveys and they hate bacon. Yeah right.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
13-10-2015, 10:05 AM
Only two groups hate bacon. Pigs and fundamentalist Muslims....

Ok.... One group....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
13-10-2015, 10:06 AM
(13-10-2015 09:55 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I do find the whole situation odd. We were living in Florida the last few years and my daughter was enrolled in high school. They did the history of Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, and Hinduism all in one chapter over a week. Islam had two chapters by itself over a 3 week period. The assignments were much different as well. You can Google the stories from various parents. Only in the Islam course did they learn about the different prayers and chants. And I mean they had to memorize Islamic prayers and recite them in front of the class. In the name of history, of course.

Nobody finds that odd?

Shits getting weird. Obama just removed pork products from federal prisons. Supposedly because the inmates took surveys and they hate bacon. Yeah right.

What exactly are you suggesting here?

-Rick
13-10-2015, 10:08 AM
(13-10-2015 10:06 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(13-10-2015 09:55 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I do find the whole situation odd. We were living in Florida the last few years and my daughter was enrolled in high school. They did the history of Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, and Hinduism all in one chapter over a week. Islam had two chapters by itself over a 3 week period. The assignments were much different as well. You can Google the stories from various parents. Only in the Islam course did they learn about the different prayers and chants. And I mean they had to memorize Islamic prayers and recite them in front of the class. In the name of history, of course.

Nobody finds that odd?

What exactly are you suggesting here?

I don't know. But its odd. I hate to be a conspiracy theorist. But you can Google what I wrote and fact check it, then draw your own conclusions.

13-10-2015, 10:09 AM
(13-10-2015 10:08 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(13-10-2015 10:06 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  What exactly are you suggesting here?

I don't know. But its odd. I hate to be a conspiracy theorist. But you can Google what I wrote and fact check it, then draw your own conclusions.

What is odd about learning about different religions and what they believe? I don't understand what you are insinuating, but the fact that you "hate to be a conspiracy theorist" seems to suggest you think Islam is somehow taking over the US. Is that accurate or am I reading too much into what you seem to be implying?

-Rick
13-10-2015, 10:11 AM
apparently pork was removed from federal prisons....

I doubt that the President had any hand in it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fed...l-prisons/

That's the best type of conspiracy theory -- part fact, part hack...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
13-10-2015, 10:14 AM
(13-10-2015 10:09 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(13-10-2015 10:08 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I don't know. But its odd. I hate to be a conspiracy theorist. But you can Google what I wrote and fact check it, then draw your own conclusions.

What is odd about learning about different religions and what they believe? I don't understand what you are insinuating, but the fact that you "hate to be a conspiracy theorist" seems to suggest you think Islam is somehow taking over the US. Is that accurate or am I reading too much into what you seem to be implying?

No, not exactly. I think that since Obama got in office that he's appointed some people to positions that have agendas. Probably not coming from Obama himself. But perhaps some people he appointed to certain positions of power are making decisions based on their religion or something. 3 weeks on Islam, one week on all other religions combined? No pork in federal prisons? Pork is cheaper than beef or chicken. And they expect us to believe that American prisoners are asking to have bacon and ham and pork chops removed from their meals? I'm not buying it.

13-10-2015, 10:18 AM
(13-10-2015 10:14 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(13-10-2015 10:09 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  What is odd about learning about different religions and what they believe? I don't understand what you are insinuating, but the fact that you "hate to be a conspiracy theorist" seems to suggest you think Islam is somehow taking over the US. Is that accurate or am I reading too much into what you seem to be implying?

No, not exactly. I think that since Obama got in office that he's appointed some people to positions that have agendas. Probably not coming from Obama himself. But perhaps some people he appointed to certain positions of power are making decisions based on their religion or something. 3 weeks on Islam, one week on all other religions combined? No pork in federal prisons? Pork is cheaper than beef or chicken. And they expect us to believe that American prisoners are asking to have bacon and ham and pork chops removed from their meals? I'm not buying it.

Yeah, I still don't see what you are suggesting. Somehow the US government is indoctrinating kids into Islam because they study what Islam is and the diet of federal prisons now excludes pork (Islam isn't the only pork-fearing religion. Why not suggest it is about Judaism?)

And as for the eastern religions, they've had little influence on western culture compared to the Abrahamic Religions. So it would only make sense to spend more time on them than the eastern ones.

-Rick
13-10-2015, 10:22 AM
Let me put it another way, students spend far more time learning about WWII, the Civil War, and the Revolutionary War than they do WWI or Vietnam or the War of 1812. Why? It isn't some secret agenda or conspiracy. It is because of their relevance to history and culture.

-Rick