Teaching Religion in Tennessee classrooms

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2015, 10:23 AM
RE: Teaching Religion in Tennessee classrooms
(13-10-2015 10:18 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(13-10-2015 10:14 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  No, not exactly. I think that since Obama got in office that he's appointed some people to positions that have agendas. Probably not coming from Obama himself. But perhaps some people he appointed to certain positions of power are making decisions based on their religion or something. 3 weeks on Islam, one week on all other religions combined? No pork in federal prisons? Pork is cheaper than beef or chicken. And they expect us to believe that American prisoners are asking to have bacon and ham and pork chops removed from their meals? I'm not buying it.

Yeah, I still don't see what you are suggesting. Somehow the US government is indoctrinating kids into Islam because they study what Islam is and the diet of federal prisons now excludes pork (Islam isn't the only pork-fearing religion. Why not suggest it is about Judaism?)

And as for the eastern religions, they've had little influence on western culture compared to the Abrahamic Religions. So it would only make sense to spend more time on them than the eastern ones.

Studying the history is one thing. Memorizing Islamic prayers and reciting them in class is too far. I would be just as pissed if my kid had to recite Jewish prayers or christian prayers or Buddhist chants. That shit doesn't belong in schools. We've fought to hard to remove that crap only for Islam to be pushed now.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-10-2015, 10:26 AM
I can kinda understand people not liking pork in an institution...

It's one of those things that has to be cooked right. When its over cooked it's just miserable...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
13-10-2015, 10:28 AM
(13-10-2015 10:23 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(13-10-2015 10:18 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Yeah, I still don't see what you are suggesting. Somehow the US government is indoctrinating kids into Islam because they study what Islam is and the diet of federal prisons now excludes pork (Islam isn't the only pork-fearing religion. Why not suggest it is about Judaism?)

And as for the eastern religions, they've had little influence on western culture compared to the Abrahamic Religions. So it would only make sense to spend more time on them than the eastern ones.

Studying the history is one thing. Memorizing Islamic prayers and reciting them in class is too far. I would be just as pissed if my kid had to recite Jewish prayers or christian prayers or Buddhist chants. That shit doesn't belong in schools. We've fought to hard to remove that crap only for Islam to be pushed now.

Yeah, I had to recite Psalms in my Honors English course in 12th grade as part of a study of the literature of the KJV Bible because of its influence on modern culture and literature. Same thing. I hate religion, but understanding its influence and the similarities among the religions is necessary. I think it will only lead to more skepticism in the long run as kids realize there is no difference between one religion's BS claims and stories and prayers, and any other.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
13-10-2015, 10:33 AM
(13-10-2015 10:28 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(13-10-2015 10:23 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Studying the history is one thing. Memorizing Islamic prayers and reciting them in class is too far. I would be just as pissed if my kid had to recite Jewish prayers or christian prayers or Buddhist chants. That shit doesn't belong in schools. We've fought to hard to remove that crap only for Islam to be pushed now.

Yeah, I had to recite Psalms in my Honors English course in 12th grade as part of a study of the literature of the KJV Bible because of its influence on modern culture and literature. Same thing. I hate religion, but understanding its influence and the similarities among the religions is necessary. I think it will only lead to more skepticism in the long run as kids realize there is no difference between one religion's BS claims and stories and prayers, and any other.

That's all I'm saying. When some christian is in charge of text books and curriculum, they inject shit that doesn't belong or goes too far, or gives preference to their god, but they do it in a way that isn't necessarily illegal. Just crosses the line. Right now, Islam is getting that special treatment, so it appears someone that has the power to do it is pushing it. I'm not the only one that's noticed it. It seems to be common on the news recently. Parents are going nuts over this. Not just Christians but atheist families like my family.

13-10-2015, 10:37 AM
(13-10-2015 10:28 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(13-10-2015 10:23 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Studying the history is one thing. Memorizing Islamic prayers and reciting them in class is too far. I would be just as pissed if my kid had to recite Jewish prayers or christian prayers or Buddhist chants. That shit doesn't belong in schools. We've fought to hard to remove that crap only for Islam to be pushed now.

We never learned about religion in any class in high school. They touched on the 'Holy Roman Empire' because it was world history...But they didn't go into deep detail about Catholicism. Of course, most people in class were Catholic.

In US history when the holocaust was discussed they spoke of targeting groups (mostly Jews) but again there wasn't any talk of Judaism.

Religious stuff for me began in college.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

13-10-2015, 11:50 AM
(13-10-2015 10:14 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  No, not exactly. I think that since Obama got in office that he's appointed some people to positions that have agendas. Probably not coming from Obama himself. But perhaps some people he appointed to certain positions of power are making decisions based on their religion or something. 3 weeks on Islam, one week on all other religions combined?

You do realize that your local school board makes the decisions about exactly what curriculum is studied, and that the POTUS has nothing to do with that, right? You do realize that he doesn't appoint anyone in the education establishment outside of the Dept of Education, right? You do realize that while the DoE sets educational standards, individual states and school districts compose their own syllabi, right?
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
13-10-2015, 12:02 PM
(13-10-2015 11:50 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(13-10-2015 10:14 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  No, not exactly. I think that since Obama got in office that he's appointed some people to positions that have agendas. Probably not coming from Obama himself. But perhaps some people he appointed to certain positions of power are making decisions based on their religion or something. 3 weeks on Islam, one week on all other religions combined?

You do realize that your local school board makes the decisions about exactly what curriculum is studied, and that the POTUS has nothing to do with that, right? You do realize that he doesn't appoint anyone in the education establishment outside of the Dept of Education, right? You do realize that while the DoE sets educational standards, individual states and school districts compose their own syllabi, right?

I hate religion as much as the next anti-theist atheist, but the conspiracy stuff I don't get.

I don't want my kid indoctrinated in a religion, and he won't be. And I don't worry that learning about religions in school will indoctrinate him anymore than reading Harry Potter to him will cause him to believe he is a wizard. If anything, learning about religions will generate a curiosity and skepticism about them. They become just one more aspect of culture with no special standing.

-Rick
13-10-2015, 12:07 PM
(13-10-2015 11:50 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  

You do realize that the local school districts don't put the text books together right? It's called common core, supported by the department of education. Someone above the local level is setting the standards.

13-10-2015, 12:08 PM
(13-10-2015 12:07 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(13-10-2015 11:50 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  You do realize that your local school board makes the decisions about exactly what curriculum is studied, and that the POTUS has nothing to do with that, right? You do realize that he doesn't appoint anyone in the education establishment outside of the Dept of Education, right? You do realize that while the DoE sets educational standards, individual states and school districts compose their own syllabi, right?

You do realize that the local school districts don't put the text books together right? It's called common core, supported by the department of education. Someone above the local level is setting the standards.

Most textbooks are written to meet the strictest state standards, which turns out to be Texas because of what they don't want in them. So, Texas (a bastion of Sharia Law?) sets most textbook standards as it turns out because publishers no longer produce a unique textbook for every set of state standards, because that costs too much money for them to do.

-Rick
13-10-2015, 12:09 PM
^Even with common core.

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post