Teaching Religion in Tennessee classrooms

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2015, 12:12 PM
RE: Teaching Religion in Tennessee classrooms
(13-10-2015 12:08 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(13-10-2015 12:07 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  You do realize that the local school districts don't put the text books together right? It's called common core, supported by the department of education. Someone above the local level is setting the standards.

Most textbooks are written to meet the strictest state standards, which turns out to be Texas because of what they don't want in them. So, Texas (a bastion of Sharia Law?) sets most textbook standards as it turns out because publishers no longer produce a unique textbook for every set of state standards, because that costs too much money for them to do.
As I said, we were in Florida where they have common core, and this is where we encountered the text books with the 3 week Islam course. Now we're outside of Dallas (Richardson, TX), no common core, no Islam in the text books.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-10-2015, 12:16 PM
(13-10-2015 12:12 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(13-10-2015 12:08 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Most textbooks are written to meet the strictest state standards, which turns out to be Texas because of what they don't want in them. So, Texas (a bastion of Sharia Law?) sets most textbook standards as it turns out because publishers no longer produce a unique textbook for every set of state standards, because that costs too much money for them to do.
As I said, we were in Florida where they have common core, and this is where we encountered the text books with the 3 week Islam course. Now we're outside of Dallas (Richardson, TX), no common core, no Islam in the text books.

Which textbook was it? (since you seem to know for sure which textbooks in Texas were being used and know they didn't have the same sections in it)

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
13-10-2015, 12:20 PM
Here is Pearson's World History textbook, they don't appear to have multiple versions for each state.

http://www.pearsonschool.com/index.cfm?l...mID=145427

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
13-10-2015, 12:21 PM
Yeah common core is mainly a collection of the standards and situations.

Schoolboards and even the teachers themselves still dictate plenty of what a lesson plan contains and what types of things you'll spend one week or 2 weeks upon to try to extra-focus on for whatever reasons you can find necessary. Just as a teacher you have to expound how some particular things hit the certain common core standards and mingle with what your school district desires. It's not like "common core" makes you teach every chapter of a textbook the way its structured.

If there is a textbook with 2 chapters of Islam or relating to it it doesn't mean a class is has to be taught both to focus on the details of both those chapters. That's gonna be up to the lesson plan created.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
13-10-2015, 12:21 PM
Same with their high school edition too it appears:

http://www.pearsonschool.com/index.cfm?l...mId=138321

-Rick
13-10-2015, 12:23 PM
And the previous editions for high school (with no state by state variability):

http://www.pearsonschool.com/index.cfm?l...entId=list

-Rick
13-10-2015, 12:24 PM
(13-10-2015 12:20 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Here is Pearson's World History textbook, they don't appear to have multiple versions for each state.

I'm not sure about the textbooks. Perhaps those are the same. But the classes have "workbooks" that are completely different. These are printed booklets that the kids fill out as assignments and tear out and turn in. My sons 10th grade workbook is completely different here in Texas than my daughter's 10th grade workbook from last year in Florida. Perhaps the textbook is the same but they get different workbooks depending on if they use common core or not.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
13-10-2015, 12:24 PM
(13-10-2015 12:07 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  You do realize that the local school districts don't put the text books together right? It's called common core, supported by the department of education. Someone above the local level is setting the standards.

Common core lists what needs to be learnt by graduation. It does not dictate the allocation of local resources, or the time spent on any given subject-matter.

Asserting that the DoE is responsible for two weeks spent on Islam in a couple of schools in Florida needs a hell of a lot more support than your suppositions and bare assertions.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
13-10-2015, 12:26 PM
(13-10-2015 12:24 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(13-10-2015 12:20 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Here is Pearson's World History textbook, they don't appear to have multiple versions for each state.

I'm not sure about the textbooks. Perhaps those are the same. But the classes have "workbooks" that are completely different. These are printed booklets that the kids fill out as assignments and tear out and turn in. My sons 10th grade workbook is completely different here in Texas than my daughter's 10th grade workbook from last year in Florida. Perhaps the textbook is the same but they get different workbooks depending on if they use common core or not.

"Perhaps the textbook is the same but they get different workbooks depending on if they use common core or not."

No. You are now talking about differences in the curriculum of individual districts or individual teachers.

-Rick
13-10-2015, 12:28 PM
(13-10-2015 12:24 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  

Nothing of that has anything to do with common core.. it's been for decades now TEXAS and Texas mainly alone, has so much power and strength of their schoolboard setup and connection to the school book creators is that they often get their very own Texas version textbooks made.

It's because you're in Texas the schoolbooks are different. The history textbooks are notably different.

This isn't a great article but one simply talking about the differences on some subjects noted.
http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2015/07/1...of-history

Yeah there probably is going to be absolutely zero Islam in their history textbooks. And probably zero mention of Cesar Chavez. (I believe that was notably a change mentioned in the stories of their different books)

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post