Teaching Religion in Tennessee classrooms

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2015, 12:39 PM (This post was last modified: 13-10-2015 12:43 PM by Lord Dark Helmet.)
RE: Teaching Religion in Tennessee classrooms
(13-10-2015 12:28 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(13-10-2015 12:24 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I'm not sure about the textbooks. Perhaps those are the same. But the classes have "workbooks" that are completely different. These are printed booklets that the kids fill out as assignments and tear out and turn in. My sons 10th grade workbook is completely different here in Texas than my daughter's 10th grade workbook from last year in Florida. Perhaps the textbook is the same but they get different workbooks depending on if they use common core or not.

Nothing of that has anything to do with common core.. it's been for decades now TEXAS and Texas mainly alone, has so much power and strength of their schoolboard setup and connection to the school book creators is that they often get their very own Texas version textbooks made.

It's because you're in Texas the schoolbooks are different. The history textbooks are notably different.

This isn't a great article but one simply talking about the differences on some subjects noted.
http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2015/07/1...of-history

Yeah there probably is going to be absolutely zero Islam in their history textbooks. And probably zero mention of Cesar Chavez. (I believe that was notably a change mentioned in the stories of their different books)

Well I guess that kind of proves my point then. Thanks. Texas doesn't use common core. And apparently they use different text books than other states as well. States that use common core are learning about Islam in class, and being forced to recite Islamic prayers.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-10-2015, 12:44 PM
Common core is bad mmmkay.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
13-10-2015, 12:45 PM
Common Core is different, and rather than try and figure out what the point of it is, people grab their pitchforks and yell "common core is bad!" Group mindset I guess coupled with a fear of change.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
13-10-2015, 12:47 PM
I had a conversation with a brother-in-law of mine about common core and he was baffled when I supported common core by using the version of math it teaches to answer a question he asked. (and I didn't learn common core, in the event that isn't obvious)

-Rick
13-10-2015, 12:56 PM
Also, I don't think Florida accepted Common Core, or Tennessee for that matter 0_o

-Rick
13-10-2015, 11:47 PM
(13-10-2015 12:39 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  States that use common core are learning about Islam in class, and being forced to recite Islamic prayers.

Can you link some data here so we can get an idea of the scope? How many schools are forcing children to recite Islamic prayers? How many schools spend twice as much time on Islam as they do on other religions?
14-10-2015, 08:06 AM
(13-10-2015 09:35 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The religious are sooooooo close to admitting that "teaching" kids religion is indoctrination. Now, Ms (Mrs) Butt (ha) is of course only referring to Islam I assume. Because when your christian, logic is always one-sided towards your brand of illogic.

They often do admit this. It's not like they don't have explicit instruction from Jesus to do just that.
15-10-2015, 03:21 AM
(13-10-2015 11:47 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(13-10-2015 12:39 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  States that use common core are learning about Islam in class, and being forced to recite Islamic prayers.

Can you link some data here so we can get an idea of the scope? How many schools are forcing children to recite Islamic prayers? How many schools spend twice as much time on Islam as they do on other religions?

... still waiting ...