Teaching critical thinking during childhood

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-06-2017, 06:08 PM
RE: Teaching critical thinking during childhood
Thanks very much for your input guys, it's most interesting Smile

I was just trained to think well, and religion/God were never mentioned to me by my parents. I was completely left to make up my own mind as I came across these ideas. I'm still waiting for Jesus/God to formally introduce themselves to me.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-06-2017, 01:03 AM
Robvalue Wrote:How do parents handle this? Do they teach critical thinking after the indoctrination, but explain why it doesn't apply to the religion? Or do they just not teach kids how to think at all?

Critical thinking?
1)How do I apply it when I teach my children about another world?
2)I teach my children critical thinking when we talk about this world.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
Find all posts by this user
15-06-2017, 01:06 AM
Robvalue Wrote:I'm still waiting for Jesus/God to formally introduce themselves to me.
Good.
P.S. I believe that it will happen.

15-06-2017, 01:15 AM
My atheist father was teaching me critical thinking all the time. He told me: "When you hear claims be skeptical. Start with the point that it is not true. Then do research, ask questions. But not just questions, ask right questions.
Well, it didn't prevent me(former atheist) from becoming a believer. That happened in a twinkle of an eye. I call it "mystery".

15-06-2017, 03:08 AM
(15-06-2017 01:15 AM)Alla Wrote:  My atheist father was teaching me critical thinking all the time. He told me: "When you hear claims be skeptical. Start with the point that it is not true. Then do research, ask questions. But not just questions, ask right questions.
Well, it didn't prevent me(former atheist) from becoming a believer. That happened in a twinkle of an eye. I call it "mystery".

Too bad he either didn't teach you how to adequately evaluate evidence, or you didn't pay enough attention.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
15-06-2017, 03:38 AM
(15-06-2017 03:08 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(15-06-2017 01:15 AM)Alla Wrote:  My atheist father was teaching me critical thinking all the time. He told me: "When you hear claims be skeptical. Start with the point that it is not true. Then do research, ask questions. But not just questions, ask right questions.

Too bad he either didn't teach you how to adequately evaluate evidence, or you didn't pay enough attention.

its also possible that he put religion in it proper place. My kids are exposed to religion by my wife. They ask me why I don't believe yet make them learn about religion.

They get a lesson on how to make choices, what religion is, and what role people play in religion vs what religion forces people do. Most of all it teaches them that we all have a fatal flaw that can hold us up from being the best we can be. To learn how to spot your own flaws and to understand what types of flaws are prevalent in the society around them.

By learning what religion is they will be able to navigate around society and when they do step on a "personality landmine", learning about humans as a species may help them overcome, work with, or just plain deal with the personality types that can't handle anything but its world view.

Its teaches them not to hurt people over a belief statement about god. I teach them, you may have to hurt people trying to defend people that can't defend themselves. That is independent of a belief statement.
[+] 1 user Likes AB517's post
15-06-2017, 05:37 AM
(12-06-2017 06:26 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Hi guys! This is aimed mainly at the ex-theists we have here, but of course everyone is welcome to chime in.

I often wonder how "teaching" (indoctrinating, mainly) religion to children works alongside teaching them how to think critically. The obvious problem is that if you successfully teach your child how to think before moving on to presenting your religion to them, they're most likely going to reject it. They'll use the same kind of criteria for spotting what is likely to be fiction (magic stuff going on) and put it in the same category.

So what has been your experience? How do parents handle this? Do they teach critical thinking after the indoctrination, but explain why it doesn't apply to the religion? Or do they just not teach kids how to think at all? Some theists I've talked to are so far gone in this regard that I feel like they must be living in an entirely different world to me, with all the insane stuff they say is visibly going on everywhere.

Did any of your parents present their religion as their own beliefs, rather than as simple fact? I'd have no problem with people doing that, and I'd honestly like to see the look on the kid's face when they do so.

Many thanks!

My mom pushed religion upon the family, there was not a shred of critical thinking from that direction, it was up to me to discover critical thinking through my love of science and curiosity. You ask questions, you look for answers, sometimes you ask questions that the apologists don't have any good answers for which creates a growing distrust of these alleged authorities while a good science book will provide explanations that are straightforward without convoluted explanations.

I purchased a series of small books that did comparative religion analysis to Christianity, but I bought these at a Christian bookstore that only gave the christian perspective. Facepalm

So these books basically boiled it down to- because Christianity offers salvation through the blood of Jesus, that makes it the correct choice.

Christianity is the Truth, because it is different from other religions. FacepalmFacepalmFacepalm

At some level, that shallow analysis bothered me, but that's where you dismiss the doubts ad try not to think about it too much. Those questions can lurk in the back of your mind for years, they may never get answers or they may come back when you are truly ready to find the answer instead of more weak hand waving apologism.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
15-06-2017, 05:49 AM

> I call it gullibility. Dodgy
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
15-06-2017, 07:58 AM
(15-06-2017 05:49 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  

> I call it gullibility. Dodgy

Hmm, without knowing what "it" is?
But still, I am cool with how you call it.

15-06-2017, 08:03 AM
(15-06-2017 03:08 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Too bad he either didn't teach you how to adequately evaluate evidence, or you didn't pay enough attention.

Let's say, you are correct.
But even if he taught me, it wouldn't help. When it comes to another world(other worlds) there is no evidence to evaluate.
P.S. He taught me how to do good to people and I paid attention.