Teaching my kids a love of science

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2011, 09:46 PM
Teaching my kids a love of science
My daughters and I just had an awesome "science day". Started with a family picnic where we flew kites and talked about how cool it is that something invisible (wind) can make a kite fly. Then we headed to the Narcisse snake dens (google it. It's the largest gathering of snakes on the entire planet. 45 minutes from our farm) to watch and catch snakes. We saw all kinds of wildlife, and when we got home there were two coyotes playing in the field right behind the house. Topped off the evening by looking at the moon through our new telescope. They were in complete awe at how incredible the moon looks up close. They can both spot The Sea of Tranquility easily now. (Pretty easy, but it's a great start) On a clear night like tonight, every little crater is visible, including the shadow they cast. I was in awe right along side of them.
When I told them we were going to have a science day they were both excited as all get out. They know that means exploring nature and all the wonders it holds. It was a long winter with a few too many indoor experiments. We all needed a warm sunny day like today. How do you guys teach your kids about the natural world? Any other ideas on how to make it fun and interesting for kids? I'm always looking for ways to help my kids enjoy nature, and learn to love and respect it. Any ideas are welcome.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
14-05-2011, 10:37 PM
RE: Teaching my kids a love of science
thats beautiful, excellent way to teach the "secrets" of life

If i had kids of my own, I will probably teach them how we all are "one" (lion king Big Grin) a delicate ecosystem in which we all depend on each other
To never hurt nature, to love animals and in the way, talk to them about how it all works.

[Image: ganonsigresize.png]
15-05-2011, 01:29 PM (This post was last modified: 15-05-2011 02:50 PM by Observer.)
Point the telescope to Jupiter. On a clear day you can spot some of the moons as well.

Preform garden cress experiments.
Put an empty toilet paper roll over the shoots and watch them shoot higher in search for the light on top.
Grow garden cress in a strainer en watch how the roots grow towards warmth
These experiments are fun due to the quick result. (and can be eaten afterwards)

make a flying pet bottle
1/2 glass of water inside the bottle, mount on airpump, pump up and watch how high she goes (amazes adults as well)

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
15-05-2011, 10:43 PM
There's also a Fun science for kids site

Not really science, but a cool way to demonstrate that not everything is what it looks like... this cool paper dragon. The inside-out face has the nice optical illusion that the dragon keeps watching you while you walk trough the room.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
05-06-2011, 02:00 PM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2011 02:24 PM by stuka.)
Here, send them to this site, it's a 3d orrery (solar system model) that shows real-time positions of the celestial bodies. Pretty amazing ;-)

http://www.solarsystemscope.com/
In the stargazing vein, for the last month or so all the planets have been fairly lined up in an almost straight line. Last time I checked, they started popping up in the east about 4:15 AM, all in a row, followed by the Sun at about 5:30 (Mountain time, US).

There are some very cool astronomy apps available for iPod/iPad/iPhone. I'll post some later, once I get to a proper computer...
[+] 1 user Likes stuka's post