Technology Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2013, 12:02 PM
RE: Technology Thread
(18-04-2013 11:52 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Technical Marketing, and no I don't know.

I've also worked for EVGA.

Interesting. Especially since I have no idea what a technical marketer would do. Does that basically mean reviewing products and making those reviews publicly available in some sense?

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2013, 12:18 PM
Re: Technology Thread
I don't want to disclose too much, especially since it's a couple weeks from being finalized. But I would be giving internal advice on product specifications and features, and doing internal reviews. Then possibly marketing & PR.
18-04-2013, 12:23 PM
(18-04-2013 12:18 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  I don't want to disclose too much, especially since it's a couple weeks from being finalized. But I would be giving internal advice on product specifications and features, and doing internal reviews. Then possibly marketing & PR.

See, I understand it when you explain it Thumbsup

I'm no tech expert, which is why I was offering to give my opinion on the tablet I got. Blink Confused yet? I just mean that someone who is not tech savvy, might like a review from someone who is also not so tech savvy.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
18-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Hah! I made myself laugh with my own joke from the start of the thread... sigh...

Anyway, my graphics tablet is all the tablet I need. I don't use it for anything other than screentoning though. Tongue

[Image: opforum1.png]
19-04-2013, 10:50 AM
I use my Kindle 3 (keyboard) as a tablet. It has no touchscreen, the direction button has to do. It doesn't open some pages. And it can only reasonably use documents in RTF, because I jailbroke it.
But it's a hundred times better at school than no tablet at all and it has an awesome battery life.

Nevermind, I actually need a new laptop. This one I have is about 7 years old and gives me trouble. Windows takes up 1 gig of RAM and the web browser with open pages the other 1 gigabyte. There is nothing left for work with documents or reasonable watching films. It freezes with a spinning hard drive for a minute, saving the paging file every time I switch a window or start anything.

I've decided to buy a new one as a reward if I get accepted on the Master's degree study program. I chose the Lenovo Z5000 Dark Chocolate, it has all the cool stuff plus hardware compatibility mode with the x86 architecture, which is greatly appreciated.

But I want to ask, is it reasonable to wait? I have no clue how does it go with laptop markets past the year 2000. Do they get cheaper, or do the models just get sold out and they put out a new model that occupies the same price range? I mean, I want this particular Lenovo, but living in a small European country, I'm afraid it gets sold out and what doesn't, ends up at a high price.
I'm talking 2-3 months time horizon here.
19-04-2013, 12:55 PM
Not really sure the prices will go down significantly in the next few months. I'm looking at this model and far as I can see it comes with i3, i5 or i7 processor but with Intel graphics. That is a minus, because either with i5 or i7 you get a great CPU, better than any AMD, but you get shitty graphics, not really great for gaming, when compared to laptops with some more gaming AMD or nVidia. I would rather trade CPU for an AMD version because it is cheaper and go for the better graphics.

As for the rest of the question, this model will stay with us for some time, then it will be replaced with a newer model. The price might vary a bit, but I don't think it would change much. If you want this laptop, but want it cheaper, try online shops, e-bay, or some local adds. You can find awesome one-year-old laptops for half the price they were and they are usually better than a new one for that same price.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
19-04-2013, 03:33 PM
(19-04-2013 12:55 PM)Filox Wrote:  Not really sure the prices will go down significantly in the next few months. I'm looking at this model and far as I can see it comes with i3, i5 or i7 processor but with Intel graphics. That is a minus, because either with i5 or i7 you get a great CPU, better than any AMD, but you get shitty graphics, not really great for gaming, when compared to laptops with some more gaming AMD or nVidia. I would rather trade CPU for an AMD version because it is cheaper and go for the better graphics.

As for the rest of the question, this model will stay with us for some time, then it will be replaced with a newer model. The price might vary a bit, but I don't think it would change much. If you want this laptop, but want it cheaper, try online shops, e-bay, or some local adds. You can find awesome one-year-old laptops for half the price they were and they are usually better than a new one for that same price.
From what I've seen so far on the largest second hand markets, people don't sell yet anything with the quad core i7 processors. It's a small country here and they first pass on the laptops to the family. But as you say, if the price is not going down, then likely the laptop is not going off the market. I tried to send a question to the salesmen, but I could only reach the tech department.

However, this Lenovo in my country is sold with a solid-looking NVIDIA GeForce GT645M 2GB.
I wouldn't buy anything with graphics card from Intel. Mine (integrated) can not run Half Life 2 and newer and I can only reliably play games from 2002 or so. Many of the new indie games run choppy already. I swear, I know more modern games from watching my younger brother play them on his desktop. (yes, he bought a big desktop in this century)

I am trying to buy such a good computer to last me another 6 years at least. 4 cores ought to be enough for everyone Tongue I expect to weigh it down with heavy text processing (OCR PDF and stuff), sound processing, games and extreme multi-tasking.
20-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Re: Technology Thread
I am currently typing on my brand new nexus7 using a bluetooth keyboard. Thus far, I love it. The keyboard is taking a little getting used to, but is much more convenient for longer posts.

So, after only a few hours with it, I'll give a run-down of what I do and don't like thus far.

Like:
-Being able to use all of my favorite android apps. That includes facebook, facebook messenger, flipboard, various weather apps, podcast players, the forum app, and my various games (like gameboy advance emulators). The advantage over my phone is that they are on a larger screen and the nexus has a faster processor.
-Being able to sync the applications and movies I already have established with my GalaxyS3. That means it was very easy to get all of my favorite apps on my nexus and my movies (like The Hobbit) are also on my nexus for anytime viewing.
-Magazine subscriptions. There are magazines like Wired and Geek, that I have wanted subscriptions to for some time, but have been waiting on a tablet for electronic versions. That way there is no issue with changing addresses if I move, and I get the latest magazines quickly.
-Take anywhere books and magazines. Obviously you can do this with books and magazines already, but I am usually reading several at once. This makes it much easier to carry my inventory around with me.

Dislikes:
-Not much really. I have not figured out how to get rid of extraneous home-screens yet.
-The stock keyboard on the touchscreen isn't great.
-Didn't come with any stock applications that were really any different than my phone, so nothing that blew my socks away.
-Speakers aren't great
-Only a forward-facing camera

The thing about the dislikes, is that there is pretty much a remedy for all of them. I downloaded a SwiftKey keyboard for tablets and there is another keyboard set to release sometime in the future (called minuim or something like that) that are a vast improvement on the stock keyboard. Typing is still a little awkward for any long messages, but that is remedied with the $20 bluetooth keyboard I got in the mail today. So, that gripe gets thrown out pretty quick. Customization for getting rid of the homescreens is really just a matter of me getting used to it and figuring out how. And while I have not really found any great tablet apps, the apps I have run great and as I keep looking for tablet apps, I am sure I will find some good ones. And apps like Crackly and youtube, are much better on a larger screen. The speaker is not great, but I have a good pair of headphones, so I am not worried about that. And only having a forward-facing camera is really the only thing I can't remedy and isn't that big of an issue, as I don't plan on using this to replace the camera on my phone.

All in all, I really like it. I got a refurbished one, so it was $170 instead of $199. Only $30 difference, but that covered the cost of the keyboard and a stylus.