Technology Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2013, 11:10 AM
Technology Thread
So, I consider myself a nerd but unfortunately, I am not as well versed in the nerd realm as I should like. So, this thread is intended to be open for people to discuss some of the technology they have and/or want. The idea is that someone can ask questions about tablets, phones, computers, software, apps, etc, so that they can make a better decision about what to buy. The forum may not be full of tech experts, but there are several people here whom I trust and would gladly take advice from.

I'll start off. Anyone got a Nexus7 or Nexus10 tablet? I have been thinking about buying one for home use (whenever we get internet there). I had a Samsung Note phone but ditched it when my wife and I switched from AT&T to Verizon (we both opted for the Galaxy SIII, which we both love), and I loved having a big screen on a small device that didn't use as much power, take up as much space, or take as long to switch on as a computer does. At home, my main use of the tablet would be reading books off of e-reader apps, posting here, facebook, and some casual gaming mixed in with some functional apps. But the Nexus tablets (and the Nexus4 phone) are not really on display anywhere (except some GameStop stores), so I have not gotten a chance to really play with one. And while I know a few people with tablets, they are almost exclusively iPads, and I just got rid of my iPhone a little less than a year ago and would rather not go back to Apple.

So, is the Nexus7 good enough, or would I need to maybe go with the Nexus10 (double the price basically)?

Anyone got any other tablets? Samsung has some galaxy tabs that I don't know much about, but I don't think they come out of the box with Jelly Bean. I am not a big fan of the Kindle Fire (not so great reviews as I recall), but I have not played much with it either.

Evolve
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-03-2013, 11:12 AM
RE: Technology Thread
I have this tablet...

[Image: 2062857284_2986bb840d.jpg]

[Image: opforum1.png]
21-03-2013, 11:12 AM
Jackass Dodgy

Evolve
22-03-2013, 08:45 AM
Screw tablets, get Google Glass !

Dammit, I want one so badly >.>

[Image: atheistsignature.jpg]
24-03-2013, 07:01 AM
Re: Technology Thread
I have a huawei media pad. Very similar to the nexus 7 but a touch cheaper and lesser powered. I would have bought the nexus instead if they were selling a 3g version at the time. A 7" is small enough to carry around and use as your main phone if you don't mind a small man bag (it won't fit on your belt). I don't know anyone who regularly carries a 10" around. 10" is for home use.
24-03-2013, 08:04 AM
(24-03-2013 07:01 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  I have a huawei media pad. Very similar to the nexus 7 but a touch cheaper and lesser powered. I would have bought the nexus instead if they were selling a 3g version at the time. A 7" is small enough to carry around and use as your main phone if you don't mind a small man bag (it won't fit on your belt). I don't know anyone who regularly carries a 10" around. 10" is for home use.
I bought a Nexus and when I got it home and opened it, it didn't even work. It would power on and stay on a bright white screen. I returned it, so I'm not sure if a working one is good or not. I do agree that a 7 inch is plenty big enough without being awkwardly large. Ohh, Google Glass...is that out yet? I saw a sneak peak of it, and can't wait to get it! Back on topic-I now have a Galaxy Tab and it sucks too. It freezes, returns to the home screen on its own and powers off randomly. I've used quite a few different types of tablets and haven't found one that was good. They are all glitchy and the price doesn't necessarily reflect the quality. Good luck.

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
17-04-2013, 02:57 PM
Decided to buy a Nexus7 after saving up for a bit. Ordered it today and hope to receive it before Saturday! I have a buddy who has one and loves it, so that kind of pushed me over the edge to go for it.

If anyone is interested, I can give some feedback on what I think about it. In the event that anyone else is thinking of looking at a tab.

Evolve
18-04-2013, 11:30 AM
I'm negotiating a consulting contract with CoolerMaster (PC component maker) right now. Shall be interesting. Smile

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
18-04-2013, 11:31 AM
(18-04-2013 11:30 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  I'm negotiating a consulting contract with CoolerMaster (PC component maker) right now. Shall be interesting. Smile

What kind of contract? Design hardware? Software? Testing? Reviewing? Know anything about the Nexus7?

Evolve
18-04-2013, 11:52 AM
Re: Technology Thread
Technical Marketing, and no I don't know.

I've also worked for EVGA.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Small Things That Make You Smile Thread Hughsie 1,849 50,543 Yesterday 09:13 PM
Last Post: Cardinal Smurf
  The Quotes Taken Out of Context Thread Tartarus Sauce 682 13,794 Yesterday 08:00 PM
Last Post: TheGulegon
  Why was today a good day thread Hughsie 631 14,078 Yesterday 04:18 PM
Last Post: Luminon
  Funny/Random Picture and Video Thread! Im_Ryan 338 6,915 18-08-2014 08:18 AM
Last Post: JDog554
  the official rifftrax projects thread kunoxian drive 4 123 09-08-2014 03:27 PM
Last Post: kunoxian drive
  Technology by Filox Filox 420 12,066 02-07-2014 02:14 PM
Last Post: Filox
  Another cat thread for Tartarus Ferdinand 124 3,224 30-06-2014 09:27 PM
Last Post: TheGulegon