Technology by Filox

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 5 Average
02-06-2012, 11:14 PM
RE: Technology by Filox
Try disabling one of your many paranoid browser security extensions. See which extesion is causing it.

Usually it's related to flash or javascript running in an endless loop.

How many cores does your cpu have? Javascript is single threaded so it can only cripple 1 core.
(02-06-2012 09:14 PM)Scarlet Pimpernel Wrote:  OK Filox, how about this:

as soon as I start up the Chrome webbrowser (Version 21.0.1155.2 dev), with 5 tabs open, the working temperature of my MacBook Pro (OSX.6.8) shoots up from 55ºC (131ºF) to 95ºC (203ºF).
Since I don't like to cook my machine I killed Chrome.

If I have those exact same tabs/websites open in other browsers, like Safari, Firefox, or Opera, I don't have a temperature issue.

Any idea what this could be? And/or what to do about it?
I shot off an error report to Chrome's developers but didn't get a response yet.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2012, 02:06 AM
This look more like a question for Deep. I has no idea what's wrong. Smile What you could do is uninstall chrome, delete all that remains of it, clean your comp with CCleaner (or something similar), instal new Chrome and see what happens. Also, be sure to have all the latest Java, Flash, Shockwave and other. Chrome is suppose to be the most simple and light of all browsers, so something is definitely wrong with yours.

Also, scan you comp for viruses, something is fishy here. Use Comodo Internet Security. It is the best anti-virus at this moment, specially in the combination with MalwareBytes. There is no virus in the world that can pass undetected near these 2 and yes, Comodo is better than Kaspersky, NOD 32, AVG, whatever. Trust me on this one, I tried it and it found viruses where all other were telling me my comp is clean. And it is free, plus they give you 500$ if you have it installed and any virus manages to fuck up your OS.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_comodo/

http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwar...i_malware/

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
03-06-2012, 02:30 AM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2012 02:37 AM by Scarlet Pimpernel.)
(02-06-2012 11:14 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  Try disabling one of your many paranoid browser security extensions. See which extesion is causing it.

Thanks for your biased suggestion, DT. Really appreciate it.
Unfortunately, but unsurprisingly, you're barking up the wrong tree: I have only one browser security extension: DoNotTrack+. It runs in both Chrome and Firefox/Aurora. Chrome has the temperature surge. Firefox/Aurora, as we speak, doesn't.

Quote:Usually it's related to flash or javascript running in an endless loop.

Yep, so I checked my running applications in the Activity Monitor: no special activity in either.

Quote:How many cores does your cpu have?

Two

Quote:Javascript is single threaded so it can only cripple 1 core.

Pfff! That's reassuring...
(if Javascript was the culprit, which it isn't).
03-06-2012, 02:53 AM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2012 03:24 AM by Scarlet Pimpernel.)
(03-06-2012 02:06 AM)Filox Wrote:  This look more like a question for Deep.
Sofar he's scratching his head too.

Quote:I has no idea what's wrong. Smile
What you could do is uninstall chrome, delete all that remains of it,
clean your comp with CCleaner (or something similar), instal new Chrome
and see what happens.
It's not a smartphone...

Quote:Also, be sure to have all the latest Java, Flash,
Shockwave and other.
I do.

Quote:Chrome is suppose to be the most simple and light
of all browsers, so something is definitely wrong with yours.
Yeah, I got that much.

Quote:Also,
scan you comp for viruses, something is fishy here. Use Comodo Internet
Security. It is the best anti-virus at this moment, specially in the
combination with MalwareBytes. There is no virus in the world that can
pass undetected near these 2 and yes, Comodo is better than Kaspersky,
NOD 32, AVG, whatever. Trust me on this one, I tried it and it found
viruses where all other were telling me my comp is clean. And it is
free, plus they give you 500$ if you have it installed and any virus
manages to fuck up your OS.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_comodo/

http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwar...i_malware/
Maybe you should tell the Iranians about this magic anti-virus wand too, Filox! Big Grin

Unfortunately, I guess, it is Windows-only...
03-06-2012, 06:30 AM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2012 06:35 AM by DeepThought.)
(03-06-2012 02:30 AM)Scarlet Pimpernel Wrote:  Yep, so I checked my running applications in the Activity Monitor: no special activity in either.
Well how do you explain the temp surge? Any process chewing up cpu should show up in the process list.

You said you have a bunch of tabs open by default. Try finding out if it's related to one of those tabs.

I still think it's the flash plugin that could be causing it. With Chrome loaded and flash killed temp should return to normal.

Chrome has a built-in task manager (shift-esc on PC should be same on Mac'n'trash). Use it to kill flash and see what happens.

03-06-2012, 07:23 AM
(03-06-2012 06:30 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(03-06-2012 02:30 AM)Scarlet Pimpernel Wrote:  Yep, so I checked my running applications in the Activity Monitor: no special activity in either.
Well how do you explain the temp surge? Any process chewing up cpu should show up in the process list.

Like I said: it's Chrome.
In the Activity Monitor I can see Chrome and nine Chrome sub-routines active. Clearly causing the temperature surge.

Quote:You said you have a bunch of tabs open by default. Try finding out if it's related to one of those tabs.

Those same tabs when open identically in other browsers have no (adverse) effect. They are my 'default tabs'. I always have those open. Worked flawlessly – until yesterday – in Chrome for the past, say, 6 months. Like it does in other browsers. So it's not one of those tabs.

Quote:I still think it's the flash plugin that could be causing it. With Chrome loaded and flash killed temp should return to normal.

Shockwave Flash is not the culprit: 1) it is not misbehaving, according to the Activity Monitor, and 2) temperature stays up at 95ºC (203ºF) when I kill Flash just to make sure...
03-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Are you using the task manager built into Chrome?

You should be able to find which one is causing it from there.

03-06-2012, 11:54 PM
Hmmmm, yes, Mac, sorry about the antivirus, missed that part...

Is there an option in Chrome where a "tab" is opening like a new application, or do all the tabs go under the same one? How to explain this? When you open 5 tabs, is there like 5 Chromes opened, or is there just one Chrome with 5 tabs? I think I saw an option for something like this somewhere, but I didn't use Chrome so I'm bad with this.

Also, when you open Task Manager (or whatever is it called in Mac's) what can you see, only that Chrome is killing the processor or do you have some details, at what time does it start to heat up, start opening one page at a time, pages without flash, than some with flash and track it, try to see in exactly what moment does it start to overheat.

Filox is confused...

Smile

-Hunter S. Thompson
04-06-2012, 03:44 AM
Just use the task manager built into chrome. It will tell you EXACTLY what the cause is.

[Image: chrome_task_manager.jpg]

All versions of chrome work the same, have the same features, and the same browser extensions work across all os platforms (WIN/LINUX/MAC)

[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
04-06-2012, 04:16 AM
There we go, this will tell us everything. Scarlet, can you please post the SS, so we can decide what is wrong?

Smile

-Hunter S. Thompson