Technology by Filox

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 5 Average
07-11-2012, 06:39 PM
RE: Technology by Filox
(06-11-2012 03:36 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(06-11-2012 05:52 AM)Filox Wrote:  Logica, if I remember it correctly, Mac OS is based on Unix, which is OS that Linux was based upon. So Mac OS and Linux have the same backbone.
And all PCs run on binary code. Does that mean they are all equatable in terms of quality and performance? The problem I have with Macintosh is their lack of freedom and capability, the absence of innovation, and the utter non-existence of out-of-house programming capabilities. Apple is like a vertically monopolized old whore. I welcome the day when Apple goes bankrupt, Samsung teabags it corpse, and Sony sucks its thumb knowing it'll be next.

That and Linux is fuckin' open sourced as shit.

Plus OS X is based on BSD, which was based on a licensed version of Unix, while Linux is a result of the GNU Project and is actually only "Unix-like", and is not actually based on the Unix codebase but on a reverse-engineered, copyright-avoiding copy which also made several improvements.

At this point the two codebases are so divergent that I'd be amazed if there's a single non-trivial line of code in common between the two, on the kernel level.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2012, 11:11 AM
Would a computer that is solely built just for browsing the web and using word documents etc, be powerful enough to run minecraft and team fortress?
08-11-2012, 11:29 AM
(08-11-2012 11:11 AM)Magoo Wrote:  Would a computer that is solely built just for browsing the web and using word documents etc, be powerful enough to run minecraft and team fortress?
You need to have a graphics card capable of running those games. Now, most new computers have a powerful enough graphics chip built right into the CPU. But 2010 and prior, Intel brand graphics were a joke and incapable of running any 3D game. Intel's newer stuff from the last two years is good enough. Any ATI, AMD, or nVidia brand graphics chips from the last 5 years, and most from the last 8 years, should be sufficient for those two games.

If your graphics card is capable of running them, then as long as you have a dual core CPU and at least 2GB of RAM, you should be able to play.

For reference, I can play both of those games comfortably (though with most of the graphics fluff turned off) on the following hardware:

AMD Athlon Neo X2 1.6GHz (dual core 32-bit that competed with Intel Atom)
3GB DDR2 RAM
Radeon HD3200 graphics, shared memory

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
08-11-2012, 02:30 PM
(08-11-2012 11:11 AM)Magoo Wrote:  Would a computer that is solely built just for browsing the web and using word documents etc, be powerful enough to run minecraft and team fortress?
While Phaedrus is completely correct, I would be a tad more concerned with the amount of available RAM you have and your processing speed.

Minimum Requirements for Minecraft:
  • CPU : Intel P4/NetBurst Architecture or its AMD Equivalent (AMD K7)
  • RAM : 2GB
  • GPU : Intel GMA 950 or AMD Equivalent
  • HDD : At least 90MB for Game Core and Sound Files
  • Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 or up is required to be able to run the game.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
09-11-2012, 12:12 AM
Magoo, you can always write down what processor, RAM and graphics you have, then we can tell you everything in detail. I see I have some help here now. Good. Welcome.

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
14-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Alright Mr I Live in A Big Fancy House, solve this one.

My external harddrive, 1T, decided it would crash.
Now I can't access it and all I get is some
data error (cyclic redundancy check) and it wonts me to format.
Now, I got nearly 1T of movies/games, there's no way I'm gonna format.

I'm running TestDisk but its taking fucking ages.
I don't have a spare 1T to recover files too.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd, go!

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
15-11-2012, 05:22 PM
And while you ponder my last issue Filox, why is it that internet works via ethernet to my laptop (which then picks it up wirelessly) but my wireless adapter will pick it up but constantly gets DNS server not responding.
Normally when I get that I just reset the modem but that's because it happens to every computer in the house and now it's only happening with my usb wireless adapter.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
17-11-2012, 05:52 AM
(09-11-2012 12:12 AM)Filox Wrote:  Magoo, you can always write down what processor, RAM and graphics you have, then we can tell you everything in detail. I see I have some help here now. Good. Welcome.

Smile

I don't know what my specs are lol, I just know its a dual core piece of crap.
18-11-2012, 11:50 PM (This post was last modified: 18-11-2012 11:58 PM by Filox.)
Magoo, dual core is good in your case, that means it is not that old.

Smile

Hmmmm, CRC error, you say ears... Could be all sorts of reasons why it appeared. What you need is the chkdsk x: /r (where x is the drive letter). So here is the first try, plug the disk in, do not open it or format it, but open your "My Computer" and just see if it is shown there, do you have a drive letter for the drive. Then open the "Command Prompt" (type cmd in the command line and hit enter), once command prompt opens, input chkdsk x: /r where x is the drive letter of your 1T hard drive and then hit enter. It may ask you something, read it and confirm with Y, then enter. After chkdsk runs it's course, check out if it helped with your problem. If not, then I would need to know the brand of your hard disk, so the I can find a more specialized application for the disk check, but there is a possibility that your data will be lost, if not the whole disk, There is also a possibility that it will be all right.

As for the WiFi, I have no idea. Something about your router? Are your DNS set up for automatically detect settings?

P.S.

All these disk test will take some time, because you have a big disk and it has to check every corner. So just be patient. The slower the program is, the more detailed it is, fast checks don't do shit.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
19-11-2012, 12:16 AM
Technology by Filox
Dear TechGeek,

My desktop is 8 years old, and while still functional, it's a Dodo and will become extinct someday. I also have a 10 year old laptop that I very rarely use and is pretty much worthless.

So, if I survive the Mayan Zombie Apocalypse next month, I'm going to be looking at upgrading. I'll tell you what goals I have and perhaps you can guide my next purchase.

First off, I think I want a tablet and a desktop, (unless you convince me I could just go with one of those fancy-schmansy tablets with a keyboard).

For the tablet, I am not all that picky about. I probably will get an iPad, not because I have to be an Apple Addict, but I have an iPhone and I have a ton of apps that I would rather use on a bigger screen. (Old eyes). I don't think I need to be on a 4g network, I'd just use wifi.

For the desktop: I want everything to move quickly and efficiently. I want to have a great graphics card to watch videos and play games. I'm not a huge gamer, but when I play I like to play games like Civilization V, which on my computer it runs so slowly as to not be enjoyable at all.

Otherwise, I don't really use my computer much for anything but the Internet, some use of Word, and picture editing. So I want it to be the best for these things, but don't need a ton of bells and whistles. Oh, and I assume someday I'll get an HD TV and I'm going to want to be able to connect my computer to the TV.

I'd love to say money is no object, but it is, so I'm kind of looking for something that won't break the bank.

I wait with bated breath for your response.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel