Technology by Filox

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 5 Average
19-11-2012, 12:58 AM
RE: Technology by Filox
Dear TechHillbilly...

I can not help you with tablets, I do not use them and do care about then, so I don't know anything about them. All I know is that Apple makes good ones, but the competition is not that far behind.

The desktop, now I think I can be of some help here. What I would suggest is the i5 platform, but that just may be too expensive, so try the Intel i3 configuration. With this processor (i3) get yourself 4 GB of DDR3 RAM and a decent 500GB hard drive. For the graphic card, I would say that it would be good to get at least GT640 if you think nVidia, or minimum of 6670 if you go for ATI/AMD. 7750 is slightly more expensive, but better.

If you can spend another 130$-170$ I would suggest getting an SSD drive for your OS, it is a new type of hard disks, with no moving parts and much, much faster than regular disks. 100GB is enough, because you will not be using it for storage, just for the system.

Ask away the details, so that we may continue.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
19-11-2012, 01:13 AM
Technology by Filox
(19-11-2012 12:58 AM)Filox Wrote:  Dear TechHillbilly...

I can not help you with tablets, I do not use them and do care about then, so I don't know anything about them. All I know is that Apple makes good ones, but the competition is not that far behind.

The desktop, now I think I can be of some help here. What I would suggest is the i5 platform, but that just may be too expensive, so try the Intel i3 configuration. With this processor (i3) get yourself 4 GB of DDR3 RAM and a decent 500GB hard drive. For the graphic card, I would say that it would be good to get at least GT640 if you think nVidia, or minimum of 6670 if you go for ATI/AMD. 7750 is slightly more expensive, but better.

If you can spend another 130$-170$ I would suggest getting an SSD drive for your OS, it is a new type of hard disks, with no moving parts and much, much faster than regular disks. 100GB is enough, because you will not be using it for storage, just for the system.

Ask away the details, so that we may continue.

I'll ask away later. I'm a bit too altered at the moment. Big Grin

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
19-11-2012, 01:18 AM
(18-11-2012 11:50 PM)Filox Wrote:  Magoo, dual core is good in your case, that means it is not that old.

Smile

Hmmmm, CRC error, you say ears... Could be all sorts of reasons why it appeared. What you need is the chkdsk x: /r (where x is the drive letter). So here is the first try, plug the disk in, do not open it or format it, but open your "My Computer" and just see if it is shown there, do you have a drive letter for the drive. Then open the "Command Prompt" (type cmd in the command line and hit enter), once command prompt opens, input chkdsk x: /r where x is the drive letter of your 1T hard drive and then hit enter. It may ask you something, read it and confirm with Y, then enter. After chkdsk runs it's course, check out if it helped with your problem. If not, then I would need to know the brand of your hard disk, so the I can find a more specialized application for the disk check, but there is a possibility that your data will be lost, if not the whole disk, There is also a possibility that it will be all right.

As for the WiFi, I have no idea. Something about your router? Are your DNS set up for automatically detect settings?

P.S.

All these disk test will take some time, because you have a big disk and it has to check every corner. So just be patient. The slower the program is, the more detailed it is, fast checks don't do shit.
It's a seagate something something.
I've been running disktest or testdisk or whatever I said it was called for like the last three days non-stop.
It's at 99% now, so hopefully in an hours time it'll be fixed.
Do you know how boring life can be without 400gs of movies and 400gs of games? very.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
19-11-2012, 01:54 AM
I know, I live without Internet connection... Smile

I know about testdisk, it is absolutely the best program for recovering data from damaged disks. But I wonder, what options did you set before you let it run for 3 days, it seems to me like testdisk is backuping all your data, but where does it save it? Interesting, isn't it? Smile Let me know what happened when it finishes and then try the chkdsk like I explained in the previous post. Let me know how that went as well.

-Hunter S. Thompson
19-11-2012, 04:11 AM
(19-11-2012 01:54 AM)Filox Wrote:  I know, I live without Internet connection... Smile

I know about testdisk, it is absolutely the best program for recovering data from damaged disks. But I wonder, what options did you set before you let it run for 3 days, it seems to me like testdisk is backuping all your data, but where does it save it? Interesting, isn't it? Smile Let me know what happened when it finishes and then try the chkdsk like I explained in the previous post. Let me know how that went as well.
So apparently after it finished scanning it couldn't do anything with that data because I didn't select a partican or whatever the word is.
But it told me to select none!

Not happy.

Doing a quick scan with intel selected (because it's not a mac? I dunno) and if it turns up nothing I'll do what you suggest.

19-11-2012, 04:22 AM (This post was last modified: 19-11-2012 04:27 AM by Filox.)
Yeah, just as I figured, testdisk was "recovering" your data, that is the primary purpose for existence of it, but you did not say where it can store all the data. Intel will only be able to make the most basic tests, stop wasting your time, do what I have told you. Then, if that does not produce the results, you need to get Seatool for Seagate disks.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Read a bit about it, use it.

BUT FIRST, do the chkdsk x: /r

Replace x with your letter drive. If you do not understand what I am trying to say, say it, so I can draw the graph for you, don't go running around, fucking things up. OK?

Big Grin

P.S.

I think I can try to guess why did this happen in the first place. Do you safely remove your hard disk, or do you just unplug it from USB when you are done using it? Because, if you just unplug it, it is not the right way, there is a procedure prior to unplugging the USB disks... It is especially dangerous to unplug the disk while it is still writing data... It can even make a lot of bad sectors on your drive, if you just unplug it while it is still spinning and working. The magnetic head can just fall on the disk plate and it is physically ruined then. That is why we use "Safely Remove Hardware" option...

-Hunter S. Thompson
19-11-2012, 05:12 PM
Filox, I love you man (no homo) will you marry me and have my adopted African babies?

I did what you said and it worked like a charm. Didn't lose a thing.

[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
20-11-2012, 12:00 AM
Glad to be of service. Now, remember this procedure, a lot of times some data gets a little scrambled on your hard disk and this is the best way to solve it. Only and when chkdsk (Check Disk) fails you start with the other programs. Seagate Seatool is great for extra testing and Testdisk is the best one for recovering the data from nearly destroyed disks.

So what did we learn today kids? That we always should first click on that small icon, in the lower right corner, the one that says "Safely Remove Hardware" and then we unplug the disk softly before we pull it out if the USB, hardly.

Big Grin

-Hunter S. Thompson
20-11-2012, 12:04 AM
Technology by Filox
Dear TechnoGuru,
Is it true that my cellphone has more computing power than the computers that sent the Apollo missions to the moon?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
20-11-2012, 12:18 AM
Pffff, like, a thousand times more. In the 90's the processors were working at 10, 20, 30, 66, 90 MHz, today they work at 1-2 GHz in your phone, that's 1000-2000 MHz... What the hell did they have in the 1970, God only knows. That shit wasn't even a computer, more like a bloody calculator. So, yeah, your phone could fly and calculate the trajectory of a dozen Apollo 13's at the same time. At least at the rate they were calculated back in the 70's.

-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post