Technology by Filox

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 5 Average
22-11-2012, 05:33 AM
RE: Technology by Filox
I bought my laptop with 4GB memory in it. How do I check if the memory is still working... is it possible to check without opening my laptop up???

Im on Vista.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Yo Filox, every consider an ava change? Big Grin
26-11-2012, 01:00 AM
LOL Magoo, no, I hate changing my fac e or my name. This way I have a recognized personality, if I change my avatar, people might think it's someone else, and we wouldn't want that, now, would we?

Big Grin

Bemore, yes, the memory is tested without taking it out of the laptop. if you take it out you can look at it, but since you are not Silver Surfer or Dr. Manhattan, your eyesight will do jack shit to your memory testing. Smile

I use Hiren boot CD, you boot it from CD and then you choose testing tools, memory testing, memtestx86.

You let memtest run it's course at least one full pass. It is recommended to take one of the memory modules out, so that you can check one module at a time, because if you have 2 memory modules in your laptop, you test it with both, memtest finds some errors, you will not know what module is damaged. That is why you should test one module at a time. So you will need to take out the memory... Big Grin But that is extremely simple, just watch some youtube tutorial. Every laptop has the same way of taking out and putting in it's memory.

May I ask why would you need this, what are the symptoms, what makes you think your memory might be damaged? Details, details are always good.

Oh, and Vista... When you get to it, switch to Win 7, much better, more stable, faster and safer.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
27-11-2012, 08:02 AM
(26-11-2012 01:00 AM)Filox Wrote:  LOL Magoo, no, I hate changing my fac e or my name. This way I have a recognized personality, if I change my avatar, people might think it's someone else, and we wouldn't want that, now, would we?

Big Grin

Bemore, yes, the memory is tested without taking it out of the laptop. if you take it out you can look at it, but since you are not Silver Surfer or Dr. Manhattan, your eyesight will do jack shit to your memory testing. Smile

I use Hiren boot CD, you boot it from CD and then you choose testing tools, memory testing, memtestx86.

You let memtest run it's course at least one full pass. It is recommended to take one of the memory modules out, so that you can check one module at a time, because if you have 2 memory modules in your laptop, you test it with both, memtest finds some errors, you will not know what module is damaged. That is why you should test one module at a time. So you will need to take out the memory... Big Grin But that is extremely simple, just watch some youtube tutorial. Every laptop has the same way of taking out and putting in it's memory.

May I ask why would you need this, what are the symptoms, what makes you think your memory might be damaged? Details, details are always good.

Oh, and Vista... When you get to it, switch to Win 7, much better, more stable, faster and safer.
My laptop is about two years old. Just seems slower than usual at processing stuff. I tried to play the free version of battlefield (in a web browser) and it couldnt even handle that.

I think I need a new laptop.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
27-11-2012, 09:44 AM
(20-11-2012 12:00 AM)Filox Wrote:  Seagate
Western Digital. 'nuff said. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
28-11-2012, 12:15 AM
Bemore, when you memory has ANY kind of errors, you get the famous BSOD when the data tries to be written in the damaged area. BSOD means Blue Screen Of Death or this:

[Image: BSOD_Main.png]

If you didn't see this, there is nothing wrong with your memory.

Now, how do we fix you up... I would like a few informations about the laptop, what processor and what graphic card does it have? 4 GB of RAM memory is enough.

There are a few things you can do to speed up your comp a bit, but I do not think you will be able to speed up a game, as I think this slowness is caused by the low power of your graphic card and there is nothing you can do there. What would help, in my opinion, is the re-installation of Vista and changing it to Win7. Why? Because I seriously do not trust Vista, it was so bad in the beginning, that I have avoided it from day one and I managed to stay clear of that OS all this time. It's just shitty.

Then I am sure you haven't use CCLeaner for a long time, if ever. http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Download and be careful while installing, you do not want any toolbars, search engines or anything, except the program. Deselect everything it offers you and then start the program. Run cleaner, then go to the Registry settings and Scan for Issues and then Fix selected issues. When asked for backup, politely say NO.

There now all your junk files have been removed and you registry has been cleaned up a bit, then go and download Auslogics DiskDefrag here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_auslog...sk_defrag/

Be careful not to install shit you don't need, then start it, mark disk C: and run Analise and after that Defrag. Let it run it's course, it might take some time, but let it finish.

There, now you are a bit more clean and sorted. It should help in the overall performance, but I do not think it will speed up your game.

What you need is to check your Programs and Features and remove any unneeded programs you might have. Also, remove any toolbar or search engine you have. You can put a SS of your Programs and Features window, so I might tell you what you do not need, if you are not sure yourself.

-Hunter S. Thompson
29-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Hey Filox,

So earlier in your thread, I did the thing you mentioned of getting a better antivirus. I followed the instructions. I've done the exact same thing before. But...

...it seems Comodo is on its fucking period. It's blocked sites for a few mintues for no reason. The thing is, I uninstalled it. It came back, weeks later and pulled this stunt. Things are back to running fine, for no reason again.

The only thing I found in the search of Comodo it is the installer I downloaded. I uninstalled it and put something else up. Why is it still quacking about?

I'm stumped. Do you have any idea what the hell I did wrong?

Confused in Canada

(talk about fucking relationship advice, some of my computers have gotten me through thick and thin ADD moments and that was just not fun)

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
30-11-2012, 06:29 AM
Blocked sites? Strange, didn't hear that before. I have started using Comodo a few weeks ago and I haven't noticed any problems with it. Tell me, exactly, what happened when your web page was blocked? What message did you get and what browser do you use.

When you uninstalled Comodo, were you careful to uninstall everything, Geek Buddy, Comodo Firewall, Dragon browser and Comodo antivirus? If you have installed that in the first place... If and when you remove the whole program, there just is no reason or logic that Comodo will be blocking something again, since it is not present anymore, right?

I hope you have used some other antivirus program, after you removed Comodo, because your computer needs to have at least something.

There is still a possibility that you have some virus that Comodo did not detect, and if Comodo did not detected it, then Avira, NOD, AVG and similar will not detect it either, but Malewarebytes might do the trick. Have you tried that shit?

-Hunter S. Thompson
30-11-2012, 07:10 AM
Ponder me this, major. On my laptop, certain sites or even search words cause my browsers (both Opera and IE) to crash. An example: I can look up stuff on wikipedia and open it without a problem, but some articles just cause it to crash, like the ones on bullfighting or William Cowper for instance. Completely unrelated searches and sites cause both my browsers to crash. Disabling all extensions makes no difference. Ran memtest - no problems were detected, chckdsk - same result.

Let's see just how good you actually are Cool

(That's mostly theoretical, will be buying a new laptop when the time comes for me to go travelling again, but still...)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
02-12-2012, 11:37 PM
You people really come here with the most unusual problems. I would say this is nothing hardware based, this is application based, but for the love of god, I can't think of anything now. You have "something" most probably. I would suggest using Malwarebytes or Spybot S&D, then update all your Flash, Shockwave, Java and browsers. Uninstall every toolbar, search engine, accelerator, and whatnot...

There is no need for getting a new laptop for something like this, just reinstall your Windows and I am 100% sure everything will be fine. Even if you do get a new laptop, this one is still OK and would just need a bit of cleaning. The best cleaning is reinstalling the OS. Smile

-Hunter S. Thompson