Technology by Filox

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 5 Average
02-12-2012, 11:59 PM
RE: Technology by Filox
(30-11-2012 06:29 AM)Filox Wrote:  Blocked sites? Strange, didn't hear that before. I have started using Comodo a few weeks ago and I haven't noticed any problems with it. Tell me, exactly, what happened when your web page was blocked? What message did you get and what browser do you use.

When you uninstalled Comodo, were you careful to uninstall everything, Geek Buddy, Comodo Firewall, Dragon browser and Comodo antivirus? If you have installed that in the first place... If and when you remove the whole program, there just is no reason or logic that Comodo will be blocking something again, since it is not present anymore, right?

I hope you have used some other antivirus program, after you removed Comodo, because your computer needs to have at least something.

There is still a possibility that you have some virus that Comodo did not detect, and if Comodo did not detected it, then Avira, NOD, AVG and similar will not detect it either, but Malewarebytes might do the trick. Have you tried that shit?
It was Comodo Secure DNS. The reason why it blocked was because it felt there was too much advertizing on a page. It suggested other pages that might have been what I was looking for, which were total crap.

Gonna try Malewarebytes. Currently using AVG. It's been a beaut so far.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2012, 12:22 AM
Yeah, AVG is OK, doesn't ask you anything... As for the Comodo Secure DNS, I have turned that feature off, that is why I didn't have those problems. I am not sure, but I even think I mentioned turning this off in my describing of Comodo and how to install it.

Malwarbytes is good for running it when you need it, don't use it as your everyday, real-time antivirus. Use AVG for that purpose, and you can have Malware installed, just don't use it as real-time protection, leave it inactive until you want to make a scan. Also, when/if installing it, install the FREE version, not the full one.

Spybot S&D is also good for that same purpose.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
03-12-2012, 02:39 AM
(02-12-2012 11:37 PM)Filox Wrote:  You people really come here with the most unusual problems. I would say this is nothing hardware based, this is application based, but for the love of god, I can't think of anything now. You have "something" most probably. I would suggest using Malwarebytes or Spybot S&D, then update all your Flash, Shockwave, Java and browsers. Uninstall every toolbar, search engine, accelerator, and whatnot...

There is no need for getting a new laptop for something like this, just reinstall your Windows and I am 100% sure everything will be fine. Even if you do get a new laptop, this one is still OK and would just need a bit of cleaning. The best cleaning is reinstalling the OS. Smile
Done most of those things, even formatted the drive a coupla times, can't be bothered anymore. New laptop 'cause this one's time has nearly come and it's basically only used to watch stuff on.

But yeah, my problems are always quite unusual (or maybe I just know how to deal with the easy ones). Wink

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
03-12-2012, 02:57 AM
If you have formatted/reinstalled the OS and this problem has stayed, that can mean only one thing. You are using some program that is interfering with your browser. Maybe a screenshot of your installed programs? Programs and features on Win7, or Add/Remove programs on WinXP...

Because if it was something hardware based, it would not only crash your browser, it would crash your Windows, give you the BSOD, restart the computer, everything would just freeze... These are the symptoms of something wrong with your hardware, you have a software symptom.

I am also surrounded with highly improbable errors, the shit that gets to me is never a "normal" malfunction... Must be my luck, karma or something else...

Big Grin

-Hunter S. Thompson
03-12-2012, 03:08 AM
(03-12-2012 02:57 AM)Filox Wrote:  If you have formatted/reinstalled the OS and this problem has stayed, that can mean only one thing. You are using some program that is interfering with your browser. Maybe a screenshot of your installed programs? Programs and features on Win7, or Add/Remove programs on WinXP...

Because if it was something hardware based, it would not only crash your browser, it would crash your Windows, give you the BSOD, restart the computer, everything would just freeze... These are the symptoms of something wrong with your hardware, you have a software symptom.

I am also surrounded with highly improbable errors, the shit that gets to me is never a "normal" malfunction... Must be my luck, karma or something else...

Big Grin
Nah, I haven't formatted it after I started getting this error (that one's pretty new); I did use to have problems with opera (refused to start at all) and ckdsk found and fixed some errors after which it started working but with the occasional crash.

(oh, and I'm still using WinXP, I refuse to let go of something that's worked more than okay for me so farSmile)

No worries, I wasn't really expecting a solution (other than reformatting), was just curious to see what you'll have to say about itSmile

03-12-2012, 06:22 AM
Ah, but don't get me wrong, I am sure there is a solution to this problem that does not require reinstalling the OS, but it will probably take more time to figure it out, than to just hit new installation.

I also still use WinXP, since my comp and laptop are both over 4 years old, so it makes no sense putting Win7 yet. But I will have to do it, as soon as I get myself something newer. The problem with XP is in the new processors, graphic cards and the whole bunch of nice, new instructions that XP does not recognize and Win7 does. The most visible things XP can not handle is anything over 3 (or 3.25 insome cases) GB of RAM memory as well as files that are larger than 3.2 GB. It is because 32-bit operating systems can not see so many digits. The other visible thing is DirectX, WinXP can handle only DirectX 9.0c, while Win7 can handle DX10 and DX11. MUCH better graphics with DX11.

So any new piece of hardware would be pleased with new OS, and let it be 64-bit, as 32 is getting to be a thing of the past. It is time you upgrade yourself with new laptop.

Big Grin

-Hunter S. Thompson
03-12-2012, 06:29 AM
Actually my PC is quite new and I still went with XP. Among other things, because of Word (though I think I've been told I can have Win 7 and still use Word 2003. That true?)

I guess I'll have to upgrade at one point, but Win 7 is so bulky and huge (visually I mean, it's like someone's poking me in the eyes. Constantly. And my eyes hurt enough as it is).

Was actually thinking Linux. What say you?

03-12-2012, 06:55 AM
(03-12-2012 06:29 AM)Vera Wrote:  Actually my PC is quite new and I still went with XP. Among other things, because of Word (though I think I've been told I can have Win 7 and still use Word 2003. That true?)

I guess I'll have to upgrade at one point, but Win 7 is so bulky and huge (visually I mean, it's like someone's poking me in the eyes. Constantly. And my eyes hurt enough as it is).

Was actually thinking Linux. What say you?

Word 2003 runs just just fine in Win 7.

Win 7 is not so bulky or huge; I was and am a fan of XP, but I installed Win 7 on my 4 year old Dell laptop.
It is as good or better than XP.

Do not fear Win 7; come, join us, do not be afraid. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
03-12-2012, 07:05 AM
Linux is the best option for anyone, but... The problem is if you have never worked on Linux, because it is a difference from what you and I have been used to. You need to have some basic knowledge about the new OS, as well as some basic commands, a bit about the system itself... Not that it is complicated, but it is different, so it will involve you, learning new stuff, and it is quite technical.

As I have said before, new computer would work better with new OS, 64-bit version. The good thing is that you can put older versions of Office without problems, specially Office 2003. And I have a suggestion for this as well, these last couple of months I have been using Open Office 3.4. This shit is way better than Office from my experience, it is FREE, it is only 300 MB, it can open and change .docx documents, but it can not save in the .docx format. .docx is the new Office 2007/2010 format for Word that older versions of Office can not open. Open Office can save in .doc and .xls formats normally. It also uses it's own formats, but for the compatibility, I use only Microsoft formats. Now, the important thing about Open Office is that it looks almost the same as old Word and Excel, 2003 version and older. Just a few things have different names and are in different places.

Although Win7 is bigger than XP, you can tune it so that it looks and feels almost like XP, as for the space on your hard drive, who cares about 10GB extra, today all the disks are huge.

-Hunter S. Thompson
03-12-2012, 07:08 AM
I've have Open Office, but am too used to Word and that's the programme I use every minute of every day. I guess I'll have to switch to Win 7. It's ugly but it has the music inside... no, wait... that was a Leonard Cohen song...