Technology by Filox

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 5 Average
03-12-2012, 06:06 PM
AW: RE: Technology by Filox
(03-12-2012 07:08 AM)Vera Wrote:  I've have Open Office, but am too used to Word and that's the programme I use every minute of every day. I guess I'll have to switch to Win 7. It's ugly but it has the music inside... no, wait... that was a Leonard Cohen song...
I'd suggest you to switch to LibreOffice. Yes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2012, 06:08 PM
RE: AW: Technology by Filox
(03-12-2012 06:06 PM)Vosur Wrote:  I'd suggest you to switch to LibreOffice. Yes
Surest thing you know.

[Image: CubaLibre.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
04-12-2012, 12:15 AM
RE: Technology by Filox
LibreOffice is made from Open Office, at a time when Open Office was standing still and not being developed. But it has begun to develop again in the meantime, so now they are both pretty good and are being developed further. There were some ownership changes in OpenOffice, so they had some time off with the development and working, but they changed it again, so now they are working, again. I guess it all the same which one you use, they are both free and good. And they both look like old Office 2003 or younger, not like this new 2007 crap, I can't stand this new Microsoft Office...

Also, I use Excel every day, sorry, OpenOffice.org Calc and it is great. New Excel has changed a few things and I can't get used to it, but OO has stayed the same as Excel once was, so I use it all the time.

Once you go opensource, you never go back to payed/cracked products...

Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
04-12-2012, 02:28 AM
(04-12-2012 12:15 AM)Filox Wrote:  LibreOffice is made from Open Office, at a time when Open Office was standing still and not being developed. But it has begun to develop again in the meantime, so now they are both pretty good and are being developed further. There were some ownership changes in OpenOffice, so they had some time off with the development and working, but they changed it again, so now they are working, again. I guess it all the same which one you use, they are both free and good. And they both look like old Office 2003 or younger, not like this new 2007 crap, I can't stand this new Microsoft Office...

Also, I use Excel every day, sorry, OpenOffice.org Calc and it is great. New Excel has changed a few things and I can't get used to it, but OO has stayed the same as Excel once was, so I use it all the time.

Once you go opensource, you never go back to payed/cracked products...

Big Grin
Amen. The new Microsoft Office is repulsive.

19-12-2012, 07:27 AM
So, please point me to the posts where it tells me how to get rid of the Google redirect virus, or even restore laptop to the factory condition. I don't have any discs from the purchase. So I will have to save anything on the D drive, if I have to reformat the hard drive. Thanks.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating Yogi, CAAT-LY.
Living daily with the high tragedy of being #2 on Laramie Hirsch's ignore list.
20-12-2012, 01:15 AM
Yeah, sorry, I didn't have time yesterday to search for this, but here you go, this is a bit about antiviruses...

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid144068

Then, install and run scan on this:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwar...i_malware/

Then go to the same page(http://www.filehippo.com) and download Spybot S&D. Install and run cleaner.

Before you start all this, open your Control Panel and go to the Add/Remove Programs (in XP), or to Programs and Features (in Vista and 7) and uninstall everything you see that has these words in the name: toolbar, Norton security scan, search, search engine.

So, let me summarize it all to the correct order:

1. uninstall the unneeded things.
2. download CCleaner (Fillehippo - CCleaner) and run cleaner, then run "CleanRegistry". Leave everything on default.
3. Download Malware and Spybot, install, run, delete.
4. look at the post about antivirus so choose your taste. I suggest Comodo for protection, or AVG for simplicity and not being annoying.
5. open your browser and go to Add-ons page, uninstall or disable everything that says search. Actually, give me a list here and I will tell you what you need, what you don't need.
6. Run CCleaner one more time, then Restart computer.
7. Let me know did it work.

For getting rid of that search engine, I think Spybot should do the trick, but use everything else, just for precaution and to clean everything, now that you are cleaning. If you are doing it, do it the right way.

If you need any specific help, take a screenshot, post it, ask questions and expect the answer.

Waiting for the answer or more questions.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
10-01-2013, 08:32 AM
Fucking external harddrive on which all my important stuff is saved isn't recognized by my PC anymore after I installed a new power supply.

Any tips?

P.S.: It's a Western Digital 1TB harddrive, the power lamp blinks but the PC doesn't react. The USB slot I'm using recognizes every other harddrive and USB-stick.
10-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Possibly dead. I had one die on me exactly like this.

Still, let's what the guru will say.

In the meantime, try it on a different machine if you can. If this one doesn't recognise it either... well, it doesn't look too good.

10-01-2013, 09:27 AM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2013 09:31 AM by Vosur.)
(10-01-2013 08:41 AM)Vera Wrote:  In the meantime, try it on a different machine if you can. If this one doesn't recognise it either... well, it doesn't look too good.
Tried it, didn't work. The weird thing is that the harddrive was recognized the very first time I started the PC with the new power supply.

[Image: 7V7DO.gif]

That's another 100€ down the drain and over 700GB of data lost... for fuck's sake. Now that I've replaced my broken power supply, even my W-lan stick doesn't work anymore.
10-01-2013, 09:34 AM
There are data recovering options. If the data is important enough to pay for it to be restored.

Try looking for answers online, I remember there were some quite helpful suggestions exactly for WD (shows you how reliable it is). But as far as I can remember (and that was some time ago), if it's blinking, it means it's not the power supply that's the problem.

(I lost two external drives, before I realised it was getting absurd, so I got an internal one and installed it myself. Haven't had a care in the world since. Plus, they're cheaper... but, of course, not always an option.)

Try here, you may find something helpful. http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-Portable-.../td-p/3225