Technology by Filox

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 5 Average
24-02-2013, 07:03 PM
RE: Technology by Filox
Sorry...I misread one of Defacto7's posts as one of yours.
Disregard if you are not a linux user.
(24-02-2013 01:28 AM)amav.eram Wrote:  Hi Filox

Can you help with a "kernel panic: failed to load VFS" error on Slackware linux 14 after compiling a new kernel?
I have read that it is related to a missing initrd file, I have used makeinitrd -o /boot/initrd.$(uname -r).img $(uname -r) and added the initrd path to my lilo.conf file, but so far no luck...
any suggestions?

Regards

Amav.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2013, 06:30 AM
Yeah, unfortunately, what you just asked sounds like gibberish to me. No, I am not a Linux fan, so I can not help you here, I'm sorry.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
28-02-2013, 02:02 AM
(27-02-2013 06:30 AM)Filox Wrote:  Yeah, unfortunately, what you just asked sounds like gibberish to me. No, I am not a Linux fan, so I can not help you here, I'm sorry.
Thats cool.

What sort of business are you administrating for, if I may ask?

In reference to your Graphics card oven repair in the OP...I have conversely learned that putting a dying harddrive in the freezer in a sealed bag can give it a few extra hours of longevity to allow for backing up data...if you can't be bothered spending thousands on recovery that is.

Funny the tricks you learn.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amav.eram's post
27-04-2013, 01:43 AM
Hey Croat, need some help please.

So Guild Wars 2 has been turning off my computer lately. Like I'll be playing and maybe 10minutes in my computer will shut off.
It doesn't happen all the time but it does happen enough to be frustrating as hell.

I did some googling and it turns our GW2 is pretty poorly made in the sense that it pushes temperatures in your computer to the extremes, even when your computer is well over required standards.

So I figured that perhaps it was my graphics card. But I don't know hot it gets so I downloaded hwmonitor which monitors temperatures and fan speeds etc.. within your computer.
My GPU is currently idling at 50 degrees C (120 F) which is normal.

BUT my motherboard is registering some weird temperatures..
I have a ASRock 870 Extreme3.
There's three temperatures (I assume 3 different parts of the moboard?). SYSTIN is at 26 degrees (78 F). CPUTIN is at 39 degrees (100F). Those both seem normal. But, AUXTIN is fluctuating between 95 and 125 degrees... water boils at 100 degrees... that's bloody hot.
So my question is, wtf is AUXTIN? and why is so hot, and is there anyway to cool it down?

I knew I shouldn't have cheaped out on the motherboard when I built this computer...

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
27-04-2013, 04:37 AM
As far as I can see, this is a common issue with Asus motherboards. SYSTIN is the chipset, CPUTIN is CPU and AUXTIN would be some thermal sensor for chassis or something as stupid as that and a lot of people report temperatures of 125°C even after they took their computer outside to -8°C, in the snow. So that would most likely be a faulty sensor for something irrelevant. I will check it out more,just to be sure.

As for shutting down, it's your graphic card and overheating, 90%. What graphic card you have, give me the correct manufacturer, so I can see what is the cooling system.

There are a few things you can do to lower the temperature. First and most important, get all the possible updates for the game, they will surely work on the game if it uses all your resources without the need to do it. Then get the latest drivers for your graphic card and your motherboard. I would get the newest BIOS, as this might correct the problem with faulty sensor.

The last thing is opening the chassis case and putting some big and strategically positioned fan(s). Give more air to the air intake for your graphic and keep one side of the case opened.

Proceed...

-Hunter S. Thompson
27-04-2013, 06:54 PM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2013 07:15 PM by earmuffs.)
It's a Sapphire Radeon HD 5770
Everything has already been updated, including the game which can't be played without the latest updates.

I've got an on-screen temp reader thingy. I played a couple of my other games last night and it never went higher then 55 and hovered around 50.
I'm about to try Guild Wars 2 again now.

27-04-2013, 07:01 PM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2013 07:07 PM by earmuffs.)
Oh yea, it's a temperature thing...
Load it up, immediately jumps to 55. I start running around and it bumps up to 60 then 65. I walk around some more (not in game even a minute..) and it was at 70 degrees.

wtf? When my other games last night never got hotter then 55...

And I think I know why.
The fan tachometer on msi afterburner is reading zero rpm.
I assume that's the fan on my gpu? If it's reading zero then it's obviously not working...

Hmm, I think a good dust out is needed, and a check to see if anything has come unplugged... Ohhh that's what it will be. I took my gpu out when I moved in here because my computer wouldn't turn on after being in storage for 3 months. Turns out there was just a massive power plug that needed to be put back into the moboard.
But I've probably unplugged something from the gpu when I took it out and not plugged it back in...

I shall report back in 5minutes.

Nope that's not it, the fan is working...

28-04-2013, 04:23 AM
It's not the temp.
Crashed on me when it was 60 degrees...

I think it's when the fan's rpm picks up which makes me think now that it's my psu.
The light on my psu went out a couple months back too.

28-04-2013, 04:43 AM
What PSU do you have? How much power? That could very, very easy be the problem, the lack of power for this CPU and GPU...

Also, the GPU can go up to 80°C without a problem, even to 90°C. They are made for great speeds and it is intended for the GPU to heat more than other parts of the computer.

This is what ATI has to say about your PSU...

Quote:450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors recommended. Certified power supplies are recommended. This list includes: Antec, Be Quiet, Corsair, Enermax, Fractal Design, FSP, LEPA, NZXT, OCZ, PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic, Silverstone, Sparkle, Thermaltake, Ultra and Zalman.

If you ask me, 550W minimum, when we take into consideration you are using AMD CPU plus your hard drives, dvd-roms, who knows how many usb thingies...

So, what do you have now and are all power cables connected accordingly to the motherboard and to the graphics?

-Hunter S. Thompson
28-04-2013, 04:50 AM
It's a Corsair 600watt. Yes they are.
And for usb "thingies" I have my keyboard, my razor mouse and my external harddrive in constantly. Hardly power sucking.

I do suspect the psu is on its last legs.. How long do they typically last for? Suppose it matters on how often you clean them out? (never).
I did buy it around this time not last year but the year before.