Technology by Filox

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 5 Average
29-04-2013, 12:10 AM
RE: Technology by Filox
Corsair 600W is great and it should last you for years and years, unless something burned it, like lightning or power surge, or something like that. What you can do is borrow a PSU from a friend (similar power) and try it for a few hours, or days. If the light on your PSU goes out, something is wrong there. Was there any storms, lightnings, power-outs?

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-04-2013, 01:12 AM
The strange thing is, I actually have a friend who has a spare psu... Though he lives 500km's away..
No storms that I remember. But then again I don't know exactly when the light went out, just when I noticed it, so could have been.

God has delivered the answer anyway, seeming the problem only occurs with Guild Wars 2, I'm installing it on my laptop instead.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
29-04-2013, 01:23 AM (This post was last modified: 29-04-2013 01:28 AM by Filox.)
Hmmm... Look, the light on the PSU should never go out, unless the power in your house goes out. The reason why GW2 would be the only thing shutting down your PC is because it is the most demanding game, so when it runs, it pushes your PC to the limits, which results in higher power consumption. If your PSU is damaged in any way, as soon as you pass a certain limit, it shuts down. Since it is a 600W Corsair, it should handle your PC without any problems, so if it shuts down when you "overload" it, it means something is wrong with it and it can't handle full power.

Also, I forgot to ask, did you overclock anything? If you have, set it all to normal, don't go clocking CPU or GPU if your PC is crashing, this can also be a problem.

As for the spare PSU, you don't need an actual spare one, you can take one out from any PC, test it for an hour or so and then return it back in, so all you need is a friend with a PC, not necessary a spare PSU. I take out my parts all the time to test someones PC components. Or you can put your PSU into another PC and test it there for a few hours, best thing would be to use the same game for testing.

It's a bit of a drag, but it is the only to to check your PSU without paying someone like me. Even if everything else works fine, but your PSU is damaged, this means it is only a matter of time when the new problem will occur. A damaged PSU can give false voltage and that can lead to other issues/broken components.

-Hunter S. Thompson
29-04-2013, 04:48 AM
No I'm not overclocking anything.

I don't know if this is a bad sign or a good sign but I was playing gw2 on my laptop after just knewly installing it on there. It's only the second game on that laptop (which gets used for university stuff).
And it happened on there too, shut off my laptop on a very graphic demanding part of the game.
I'm starting to think that perhaps it is my one and only power outlet in my room... or multiboard.
My multiboard has my pc, my tv, my desk fan, my laptop, my phone charger and my xbox all connected to it. Maybe that's where the power issue lays.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
29-04-2013, 06:10 AM (This post was last modified: 29-04-2013 06:22 AM by Filox.)
Jesus Christ... OK, where do you plug all that in? Can you ask your landlord about electronic sockets? If that socket is for night lamp only, then you have overloaded it. If your multiboard has a power limit and automatic shutdown, then you have overloaded it.

I seriously doubt you have overloaded the wall socket, because then the power would go out and you would need to manually switch the switch back on.

Give me a model/picture of your multiboard, then I could tell you more.

Also, it is never smart to have that much power connected to one socket. For that purpose I use a very expensive AC cleaner that can handle 2.5 kW of power and I was searching around my house until I found one socket that was intended for a big refrigerator, so I used that socket and a lot of cable to get it to my room and my computer.

You need to be careful with electricity.

When I take all this into consideration, this all makes no sense at all. Try playing it on your laptop in some other room, use a socket that is intended for a refrigerator, or some other "strong" machine. Then tell me what happened.

I will try to explain what is strange here. You see, if your computer uses 500W of power under max pressure, you laptop is using 90W under the same pressure. So if it is the wall socket, this would not happen with the laptop. Also, similar thing can be said about the multiboard. It is obviously not you PSU or your PC, since it is happening on your laptop as well, under the very same circumstances. Now with all this information, we are back to square one, I have no bloody idea what the hell is wrong with your PCs.

Tell me, do you have a ... what do you call it, the battery thingy, the stabilizer with the battery, people use for current protection? You know what I 'm talking about, I just can't remember the name.

And one last think, just to be sure... You whole computer SHUTS down, not just the game, right? So we are talking about shutting down the PC and the laptop, not just crashing the game, where computer/laptop still work after the crash? Does it just restart or does it stay shut down?

The difference is huge and vital for the continuation of this talk.

At this moment, my money is on your multiboard, but I am confused why would it happen with the laptop...

-Hunter S. Thompson
29-04-2013, 11:00 AM
I don't know about my power socket but it's the only one in the room..
I have an extension cord plugged into it which is then plugged into my multiboard
I then have in my multiboard plugged in (in this order): phone charger (not always actually charging), PC, desk fan, laptop, xbox, tv (which doubles as my computer monitor).

And this is going to complicate things more... My PC shuts off, completely turns off. BUT my laptop restarts...
The thing is, my laptop has a battery, so even if the power cut out it would still work...

And no, no power surge protector thing.

29-04-2013, 11:30 AM
A low voltage problem in the house power could definitely cause computer problems. And even though the laptop doesn't use as much current as the desktop, a low voltage problem could still be it because the computers aren't shutting down because they're drawing too much current from the house, but because they've reached a low voltage threshold due to the problem with house power. This could be as simple as a loose connection on the wall receptacle or a loose connection at the breaker panel.

It would be great if you could gain access to a volt meter and check that the house voltage is at or above the nominal rating for your area while under a load. A static measurement can show full voltage but that voltage can drop considerably under a load.

If you have an extension cord servicing all those devises, make sure it is at least a 14 gauge cord (I recommend 12 gauge) and make sure the terminals on each plug are clean. The 16 gauge cords sold at retail stores have destroyed many an electrical devise.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-04-2013, 10:38 PM
Don't know what the gauge of the cord is sorry.
I suspect it's not a very high quality one.

Further development. I haven't been able to try another power point because the other nearest one is down the other end of the hall.
The light on my psu was off because there's a little button on the back of the psu, I pressed it and the light turned back on... So the light works now.
It's not the game because I was just browsing tta and it turned off. Then it turned off again when I went into town and it was doing nothing, and then just 5minutes ago it turned off while I was watching a movie...

29-04-2013, 10:42 PM
Could it be RAM related?
I haven't tested out my laptop again, perhaps it just restarted due to updates or something? I'll try my laptop again a bit later.

29-04-2013, 11:03 PM
(29-04-2013 10:42 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Could it be RAM related?
I haven't tested out my laptop again, perhaps it just restarted due to updates or something? I'll try my laptop again a bit later.

It could definitely be ram related. I'd unseat all the memory and reinstall them exactly as they're arranged now. Then, if the problem persists, I'd pull all the ram and try the machine with only one stick in at a time. Of course, the machine will be lethargic with less ram but it could pinpoint the problem.

I just remembered... a friend had a motherboard that caused the same sort of problem and it turned out to be (at least) a blown capacitor. He installed an new motherboard and I took the bad looking cap off, tested it and it was indeed bad. Of course, there could also have been any number of SMDs or other silicone components on the board bad but to be sure, that capacitor was bad.

If you want to try it, make a visual inspection of all the caps on the board. Here's a picture of what you're looking for and if you already know, forgive me... I have no way of knowing what level of expertise you have.

[Image: blown2.jpg]

Notice the circled capacitor. The top of an electrolytic capacitor is flat with a cross stamped into it for strain relief. Since your machine is working, there's little likelihood that you'll see a cap with the cross sections actually blown open but if you find one that has even a slightly domed top rather than a perfectly flat top, that cap is either blown or is at least leaking.

If so, it's new MB time to correct the problem, because there's not much chance you'll be able to replace just the visibly damaged cap and fix the problem. As mentioned above, if a cap is blown, there are probably other components damaged and the only way to find out is to put the board on a bench and start testing devices.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user