Technology by Filox

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 5 Average
29-04-2013, 11:24 PM
RE: Technology by Filox
Too early now, will think about this later... I would say it is something that is connecting both your PC and your laptop, or else it would happen only on one of those two. Get some voltmeter and start measuring the voltages around the house. Ask the landlord is it possible that he calls someone to do a quick check around the house, tell him you are having problems with electronics and that you suspect it to be low voltage around the house.

This could be related to all sorts of component problems, as well as RAM and a blown out capacitor, but since it happened on laptop as well, I wouldn't say it's the PC components. There is some outside connection here.

The motherboard is new, so there are no capacitors that can be blown... As you can see on this picture, his motherboard has only solid capacitors, so we can safely rule this one out.

[Image: 03-big-asrock-870-extreme3.jpg]

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-04-2013, 11:46 PM
I agree. What brought me back to hardware was that he has now experienced the problem in multiple scenarios. Also, the laptop might fail on that game simply because it's not powerful enough to handle it.

I dunno. But to be sure, house power and extension cords need to be ruled out.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-04-2013, 12:05 AM
Yes, I agree, we need to rule out things one by one. Electricity is the main suspect now.

Ears, can you give us a picture of your extension cords and how it is all connected.

-Hunter S. Thompson
30-04-2013, 02:22 AM
Well I was playing on my laptop for a while and it never happened.
I'm starting to think my laptop restarted because of updates, the whole "restart now" "remind me later" with the timer sort.

I'll try the RAM one stick at a time tomorrow.

If it was a low voltage problem, why does it take a while for it to actually shut off? I would think that if it couldn't get enough power to begin with it wouldn't start? Is it because my computer heats up and uses more power with the fans etc?

And I'll text the landlord tomorrow. Might try swapping the extension cord with the one down the hall (to the router), that one's newer.

And I don't have a camera to take a picture. Basically the extension cord is plugged into the wall socket. Then it's plugged into the multiboard. There's a fair bit of slack. The multiboard can almost reach the power socket without the extension cord.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
30-04-2013, 03:02 AM
I think I have found the true problem.

My CPU. I was in bios because my computer turned off, and while there looking at voltages (which were all reading normal, above minimum), I noticed CPU temp at 80 degrees... Wasn't doing anything and it was idling at 80.. clearly it's overheating.
I've got my desk fan down there and managed to bring the temperature down to 72, though a quick look at my monitoring software shows it's now at 80 again...

Task manager is reading cpu usage fluctuating between 30 and 50% WTF?
The only thing I have open is firefox, task manager and HWMonitor..

I think my heat sink is buggered.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
30-04-2013, 03:41 AM
Just cleaned out the CPU fan, case fan and PSU fan (gpu fan was clean as a whistle).
The case fan was bad, the vents were blocked. But the CPU fan... :O The dust had built up to the fan, it was really thick, and so the fan can't have been doing anything to keep the cpu cool at all..
Cleaned it out (not an easy or clean task I might add), totally surprised how much dust came out. But now you can actually see through the fan and out the vents so...

HWMonitor is reading cpu temp at 60 degrees now, which is normal.
I'll check again every 15minutes to keep an eye on it.

30-04-2013, 08:37 AM
Well, well, you little dirt bag... Yes, you could have told me you have a pillow of dust in your fans, before I started to google all the most unique errors I might find. Smile

OK, this should fix the problem, but 60°C is still a little high. Maybe a change of thermal paste is in order as well? Now, if you don't know what I'm, talking about, or you never done it, leave it be and find someone who has done it already. But the dust is more than enough for this problem.

So, check out the laptop again, be sure it won't restart again after playing, but then again, maybe the laptop need some cleaning as well? Please report back about the changes to your PC, is it OK now, is it working?

-Hunter S. Thompson
30-04-2013, 08:55 AM
I built the thing, I know what thermal paste is. I was actually thinking that when I was dusting it.
I can't imagine the "default" thermal paste they give you is very good. If I remember correctly actually I didn't even need to spread it on, it came pre-spread.
It's was idling around 74 degrees when I was watching some youtube clips (long, 45minute clips). And then I just played some CK2, which is a not very graphic demanding game but still requires a bit of effort on the computers part. HWMonitor said it got to a high of 91 degrees. When I exited the game (or actually the game crashed, but that's the game it happens some times with Paradox games...) it was reading 85, but now it's gone back down to 75 degrees, correction, 74 degrees.

But it hasn't turned off like it was doing earlier. Like I turned it on in the morning (and by morning I mean 3pm) when I woke up and it shut down with less the an hour. It's been going now since I dusted it for 5hours so...

And Iw as playing on laptop today for a bit, no problems. It wont need a dust clean out it's just over a month old.

30-04-2013, 09:51 AM
Those temperatures are too high for a new CPU. We are talking about CPU, not GPU here, right? Good. Actually, not that good. What's your BIOS setting, I think it would be best to reset it to default values for start. Remove the whole cooler, remove the old paste, put in some new one. I prefer silver ones, but any new paste is good, even the cheap ones. So, clean everything really good before applying new paste, apply just a bit and spread it around. The key is to have a very tiny layer of paste, without all those big chunks that leak around if you put too much. Be sure you have put the cooler correctly and then do not be afraid to tighten it down. It needs to be hard to close it all the way, just don't break it. When you are done, grab it with your hand and test it, try to move it a bit around. It should not move a bit. Cable. Don't forget the CPU fan power cord. Smile

Reset the BIOS to default. Turn on Smart Fan control in BIOS if it is not already turned on and don't touch anything else. If you can choose a few options on how your CPU works (like Power Saving mod, Normal mod and Optimum mod) leave it on Normal mode.

Watch the temperature now... Then go to Windows and use that HWMonitor to check it out. It should never go over 40-50°C while idle. It should never go over 70-80°C in ANY circumstances. Also, try out AIDA, that is the best testing tool ever, maybe the HWMonitor you are using has some faulty readings?

Look at this, this is the data from my old AMD Athlon64 X2 AM2 now while I am writing this and Sultans of Swing are playing on youtube with gmail opened in another window...

GPU - 60°C
CPU #1 core - 32
CPU #2 core - 38
CPU - 50
Motherboard - 41.

Now, I do have a huge Zalman on this, but you have 2 generations newer and better motherboard and evenly so CPU. That means your temperatures should be lower even with stock cooler. Arrrmmmm... What CPU do you use?

OK, this should do it for now, do all this, follow my instructions to the letter and then report back!

Big Grin

-Hunter S. Thompson
01-05-2013, 10:25 AM
Hmmm... No answer. Only logical conclusion would be that he managed to destroy his PC while trying to do something... Ah well, anyone else got some problems? I'll take care of them...

Big Grin

-Hunter S. Thompson