Technology by Filox

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 5 Average
08-05-2013, 02:07 AM
RE: Technology by Filox
I'm not very good with mobile phones so it's would be hard for me to recommend anything to you. Last thing I had for listening music while walking was my old, trusty diskman. Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2013, 05:33 AM
(07-05-2013 08:56 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  What is the difference in signal to noise ratios and bandwidth (frequency response) between the two devices? I've never used a Cowan but I do use my smartphone to store and listen to music and as an old time audiophile, I would hate to think there was something above 16K or below 35 that I wasn't hearing.

Does a high bit rate audio file have a lower bandwidth on a phone's analogue output than it does on a Cowan's?

Well, that's a bit too technical for my blood, but maybe you can find more info here.

Like I said, I'm no expert (though I bought a Cowon on the recommendation of someone who is, and because of reviews online. And because I wouldn't be caught dead in a ditch with anything manufactured by Apple), nor am I one of those obsessed ones who have speakers the size of a room (I only listen to music through my computer speakers and earbuds), but even I can tell the Cowon sound is very very good. And the batter life is the best there is.

And since a phone has way more functions than an MP3 player there is no way the sound can be as good.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
08-05-2013, 05:36 AM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2013 05:51 AM by Filox.)
I agree with what Vera has told you. Get yourself something you already know is good. So that Cowon thing...

Also, bbljefe, if you are an audiophile, you can not ask questions about bandwidth, noise to signal ratios between some phone and some portable device... They are just not in the category for those questions.

-Hunter S. Thompson
08-05-2013, 09:23 AM
(08-05-2013 05:33 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(07-05-2013 08:56 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  What is the difference in signal to noise ratios and bandwidth (frequency response) between the two devices? I've never used a Cowan but I do use my smartphone to store and listen to music and as an old time audiophile, I would hate to think there was something above 16K or below 35 that I wasn't hearing.

Does a high bit rate audio file have a lower bandwidth on a phone's analogue output than it does on a Cowan's?

Well, that's a bit too technical for my blood, but maybe you can find more info here.

Like I said, I'm no expert (though I bought a Cowon on the recommendation of someone who is, and because of reviews online. And because I wouldn't be caught dead in a ditch with anything manufactured by Apple), nor am I one of those obsessed ones who have speakers the size of a room (I only listen to music through my computer speakers and earbuds), but even I can tell the Cowon sound is very very good. And the batter life is the best there is.

And since a phone has way more functions than an MP3 player there is no way the sound can be as good.

Thanks for that...... well...... woo. You're not by chance a fan of Bose, are you? Tongue

I do agree with their idea of oversampling, which is pretty common among digital mediums but the rest of that page is pretty much word salad with no useful audio information.

That said, Winamp on my Droid with some high bitrate audio files will produce a bandwidth well beyond that of the human ear. The rest depends on the loudspeakers, amplifiers and room acoustics.

Oh and, that a device will do a multitude of things does not mean it can't do any of them well. There's nothing inherent about digital electronics that lends itself to that end so, no, just because a phone will do a bunch of stuff doesn't mean it can't reproduce audio well. In fact, the silicone in a CD or MP3 only player is vastly underutilized as opposed to phone chips being over utilized.

I do agree with your room sized speaker comment, though. I've seen a lot of people spend a shit ton of money on audiophile grade components and wiring, only to put it all in a room that has the approximate acoustic characteristics of a beer can and what they got was super expensive, shitty sound.

In the right room and with the right speaker placement, I can make even a Bose system sound relatively good. Perhaps even with a Cowan MP3 player hooked up to it... although I haven't tried the latter yet. Tongue

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-05-2013, 10:00 AM
No idea what Bose is and no interest either.

And I didn't write the woo. I think I did point out I was no expert, nor am I too keen on self-proclaimed audophile snobs.

And the fact that phones can arguably produce the same quality of sound as players doesn't mean that many of them do. Then there's battery life (I want to be able to travel from here to the other end of the world, without having to worry about it dying on me halfway through my trip), there's the quality/price ratio (a phone capable of producing good sound is way way more expensive than a player capable of producing sound of the same, or rather, better quality), storage (only my Vivaldi is about 40GB), playable formats, convenience (if I were to exercise outside and listen to music, a phone is hardly the perfect - or even decent - choice), heck, even hardware durability.

I'm not pushing anything on anyone and was just talking about my personal experience with different players and phones.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
08-05-2013, 10:05 AM
(08-05-2013 10:00 AM)Vera Wrote:  No idea what Bose is and no interest either.

And I didn't write the woo. I think I did point out I was no expert, nor am I too keen on self-proclaimed audophile snobs.

And the fact that phones can arguably produce the same quality of sound as players doesn't mean that many of them do. Then there's battery life (I want to be able to travel from here to the other end of the world, without having to worry about it dying on me halfway through my trip), there's the quality/price ratio (a phone capable of producing good sound is way way more expensive than a player capable of producing sound of the same, or rather, better quality), storage (only my Vivaldi is about 40GB), playable formats, convenience (if I were to exercise outside and listen to music, a phone is hardly the perfect - or even decent - choice), heck, even hardware durability.

I'm not pushing anything on anyone and was just talking about my personal experience with different players and phones.

I get the battery life argument for sure. Storage, not so much these days, since 32 gig smart cards are readily available.

And I understand that you didn't write the woo. I didn't accuse you of that. Wink

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-05-2013, 11:10 AM
Let us get this train back to its track...

ears, you want to do a Skype call guidance? I don't have a cam, only mic, but I don't need a cam for this. If Skype can work with one-way-video...

-Hunter S. Thompson
09-05-2013, 09:57 PM
Hang on, let me actually get the new heatsink first.
10-05-2013, 03:38 AM
If you got that heatsink with your CPU, it should be more than enough to cool your CPU. I don't think a new one would do anything. The probability that a CPU fan has died is also highly unlikely. It should make all sorts of weird sounds before it actually dies, so if it never made loud strange sounds, I don't think it is the problem.

Something else is fishy here...

But try it out, let's see where it will lead us.

-Hunter S. Thompson
10-05-2013, 04:01 AM
BTW, I found a few things, same problems as you have.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmess..._id=312763

I am not sure about these BIOS settings, but do try it out. Turn off the AMD Cool and Quiet and search for this PWM or Volt setting, mentioned in the link. Do read it all and try out a few things. Let me know about the results.

-Hunter S. Thompson