Technology by Filox

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 5 Average
28-05-2013, 01:32 AM
RE: Technology by Filox
Then there is somewhere an option to lock your USB, in your Windows. What Windows do you use?

In the meantime I will look in the http://www.justfuckingoogleit.com and see what other people have to say.

Smile

Be back soon.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-05-2013, 01:34 AM (This post was last modified: 28-05-2013 01:38 AM by Filox.)
Quote: 1) Some drives have a little slider switch for write protection. Examine your drive closely to see if there is one.

2) If not, a look at the recent forums will show you at least a hundred such threads. Flash drives seem to be simply unreliable. While some cases are fixed with registry policy changes or resolving other obscure issues, the majority require that you copy all the data off the device and then reformat it (see near the end of http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/272402-32-flash-drive ). T

Am I missing something, or are these devices failing a lot, or are there simply so darned many of them out there that a reasonable failure rate translates to a crapload of failures?

So try that, copy your data and then format the drive, if it let's you format it. Try it and let me know.

Or this:

Quote:Check if the directory in which you are trying to write is not read-only protected by the system. Right-click on the folder, and then uncheck the "Read Only" option.

Quote:Low-level format
If you are sure that there is no write-protect switch. You can try low-level format it. I have had similar problem with my Apacer Handy Steno HT 202 and used the lformat program provided at their website and it works! You can visit http://m3rlinez.blogspot.com/2007/01/jus...d-usb.html for more info about my case. Hope this helps

-Hunter S. Thompson
07-06-2013, 12:02 AM
Quick question for your ass.

So I downloaded my Total War (it's a video game) collection to my laptop.
Now, why is it that despite Shogun 2 Total War being the newer game, the more graphic demanding game, the larger in size game, it runs extremely smoothly on my laptop. BUT Napoleon Total War which is an older, smaller, less graphic demanding game is much more laggy?
Hell, even Empire Total War which is basically Napoleon total war plus three extra continent maps in the campaign (so it's three time as big when you're playing) runs smoother then Napoleon Total War...

What's up with that?
07-06-2013, 11:14 AM
It's called optimization, you should look it up. Smile For example, GTA4 is so badly optimized that there was no computer on this planet that could run it in full details when the game first came out. In time, PC got stronger, patches were created and the game is now normal.

So is the thing with TW, some parts were better optimized and thus they run smoother, other, even with lower graphics, were very demanding and laggy. And with games like TW, you never know how many things are being calculated in the background, it's not just the graphics, there are tons of mathematic equations that are being processed for game like that (Civ, Heroes, TW...) for all the units, weapons, damage... More units means not only more graphic details, but also more numbers to calculate all the time, so the CPU is very important for these games.

Explained enough?

Big Grin

And never told us what the heck is with your PC and the cooling problem? I hate you, you know that?

-Hunter S. Thompson
07-06-2013, 11:21 AM
Yea that'll explain it just fine.

I don't have the money so I can't do anything with my PC at the moment.
It now only works when my desk fan is pointed at the cpu to keep it cool. Without my deskfan it overheats and shuts off, even when I'm not doing anything.
And it's at my feet and it's already cold as fuck without a fan going so I've been using my laptop until I can afford a new cooling system for my cpu.
10-06-2013, 11:35 AM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2013 11:39 AM by Luminon.)
Hi Filox. I'd just like a few comments from you Bowing

The laptop I have was bought around my 18's when I went to my first university and it would be today about 6-7 years old. I promised to myself that if I get on the Master's degree program at the local university, I'll put my savings to this good use.
I'm buying a new laptop and it's Lenovo IdeaPad Z500 Dark Chocolate. The point is, not having to buy another laptop for another 6 years at least. I'd also love to catch up with some games that came out since 2003 or so, which went pretty much beyond me. (well, I know them from watching, how lame, I know)

I went for the biggest and the best within a reasonable price range. The i7 Sandy bridge processor (quad core, 2,2-3,2 GHz), 8 GB RAM (I hope it's enough) and nVidia G645 or something. It even has virtualization, hopefully it will run some oldie software too.

After some discounts and coupons I managed to push the price down to 900 bucks. Plus the money for the old laptop (upgraded Acer Aspire 5310) might get it down to 650 bucks, I think that's a pretty good bargain.

There is some stuff I don't like about it, the model has only 3 USB ports and it has a glossy screen, but a matte screen model would cost me +150 bucks, I have no idea why. The thing doesn't seem easy to disassemble and replace battery/remove dust, so I'm curious how I'll go about that.

I heard that these Lenovo laptops have some special button that controls the fan in short, powerful bursts, to remove the dust from the fan. Do you know anything about it?

Anyway, being long out of the market, I see I don't understand the numbers anymore. I just multiply the GHz's by core count, but I'll be damned iif I know what graphic card numbers mean. My best bet is to hope I'll never actually hit its limits. 384 CUDA cores, 2GB internal memory, good enough?
What do you think about this laptop? In your opinion, is there anything better today at this price range?
How many years do you think this laptop will be still good enough? Is there such a thing as a ridiculously overpowered processor? If so, I hope I have just bought it.

Let's say I want to travel with this thing (just hypothetically). And let's say I have very little respect for copyright laws, which are somewhat liberal in my country anyway. So is it possible to make the data partition encrypted? Does anyone actually ever consider this in practice? If there's any merit to it, I'd better do it before copying the shitload of torrents and warez onto the pristine hard drive, copy them directly into an encrypted space. But when I do this, why not have the whole data hard drive encrypted, mounting it automatically on the system startup? (most of the time anyway)
Is there any real danger of having the laptop searched on USA borders, including the names of old erased files? If so, it would be good to do start with it.
16-06-2013, 08:59 AM (This post was last modified: 16-06-2013 09:02 AM by Filox.)
Hey, sorry I missed the post.

Here is the deal. Today it is virtually impossible to buy a bad laptop. The technology has gone up, the prices down, so you really can't miss. 8GB of RAM is more than enough, at least for now and in the next few years, but that is chap and easy to upgrade. CPU is a bit harder to upgrade and more expensive, but i7 is the top CPU on the market, there are no better CPUs, at least not for laptops. Now, GPU is always troubling. It is the only thing that needs an upgrade in a few years time, but it is almost impossible to make the upgrade for GPU and even if you can find it, it costs like a new laptop, so there is no point... Which means you are stuck with what you have and you have to choose carefully when GPU is concerned. The biggest problem here is that only a small power upgrade with GPU makes a significant difference in the laptop price, so you basically always choose your price range, not your wish range. By the looks of it, this is a good, fast middle class GPU, you should be satisfied with its performance in the next few years.

All and all, a good laptop.

About your data, I don't think that anyone has the right to check your laptop and your data without your permission or the court order and no one will get the court order unless they have a good reason for it. The only thing you need is the password on your windows, so that they can't just turn it on, if they want to make an illegal, quick sneak peak. It would take them at least some time and knowledge to pass around your password, not a big problem, but it is highly illegal and takes at least 5 minutes of your time, you need a correct tools for it and you need to know what are you doing. The other method would be taking your disk out and putting it in another computer, again, time consuming and highly illegal activity.

If you want to protect something, I like the PGP Disk thing, you create a file of as many GBs you want and you protect the file with a password of your choosing. When you click on the file and enter a password, it is mounted as a new drive, with anything inside that you put inside. Simple, easy, very good encryption. If you use a big and strong password, everyone will have tons of problems to crack it, it's the good old PGP encryption, not easy to break.

P.S.
If you want something secret, hidden and encrypted, then you do not leave it to automatically mount when you turn on the computer. You leave it secret and hidden and you are required to put in the password every time you want to open it. When you close it down, it becomes invisible and password protected. It is the only way, if you think it as necessary.

-Hunter S. Thompson
16-06-2013, 03:42 PM (This post was last modified: 16-06-2013 04:07 PM by mysterics.)
I don't know if you'll be able to help because I don't know if it's something with my computer, or whether Google Chrome hates YouTube, but my friends who use Google Chrome don't get this.
I only get these problem when using Google Chrome with YouTube , but I have found no-one else that has these exact problems.
  • Videos randomly freezing (it's not buffering, it just stops doing anything, wont respond at all.)
  • Videos with adverts refusing to load after being closed midway (ie after having saved the point I stopped watching)
  • All videos with HD function do this on full-screen (see image) [Image: youtubeproblems_zps54326de1.png]

I have tried
  • Clearing my cache
  • Defragmenting my computer
  • Running checkdisk
  • Reinstalling flash
  • Reinstalling Google Chrome
  • Completely removing them both then downloading Google Chrome through Firefox.
  • Just using Firefox (Which refuses to let me use Grooveshark.)
17-06-2013, 05:30 AM (This post was last modified: 17-06-2013 05:39 AM by Filox.)
Hmmmm... Well now, this is interesting. I do notice some of these errors with my own PC and I am using Opera. Some videos tend to just stop and nothing happens, then I need to reload the page and it is OK then, but now every time.

I don't get the picture, it looks normal to me, but I can presume that there is not suppose to be this blur effect?

You did everything I would have told you to do, BUT... Maybe the order and the way you did it is not good. First things first, you go and download the new version of CCleaner, install it, DO NO install any of the "extra" shit they will try to "give you". Smile

Then go and uninstall Chrome and Flash. After that use CCLeaner and clean your history, then your registry, just leave everything on default. When asked to backup your registry, I always say NO, but you are free to save it if you think it is necessary.

Only now you can say that you have cleaned your cache. I would also suggest to go and manually find and delete every directory that Chrome may have created under Users and Settings.

If you want to be sure you have no malware, use Malwarebytes, let it do a full scan.

Only now you should reinstall your Chrome and Flash. Let me know did ti work.

But you have to remember that Google is often changing things and "upgrading" something on Youtube, so it is normal to experience problems from time to time, no matter what you use.

I would suggest using Opera, but it appears they are about to shut down, someone is buying Opera, so the browser will no longer be updated. Shiiit. Chrome is suppose to work excellent, I am rather surprised you wrote this about Chrome, not Firefox.

-Hunter S. Thompson
17-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Here's one for you Filox (or anyone).
I can't connect to the internet on my laptop. Hell, I can't even click the connect icon to bring up a list of available connections..
I can click the icon but nothing happens, the list doesn't show up. And when I go through networking and sharing center to connect to a connection it simply starts loading and then wont do anything after that, wont even let me close the window...