Technology by Filox

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 5 Average
04-07-2013, 10:02 AM
RE: Technology by Filox
(04-07-2013 09:57 AM)Filox Wrote:  OK, maybe you missed my point a bit. Sure, you can protect yourself in a lot of ways, but have you ever considered the market of real fucking criminals, people who are running away from FBI, CIA, NSA or something like that, not for us, regular torrent abusers? So, my invention is for SERIOUS fucking criminals, someone that police would really like to catch and they would use everything in their disposal to retrieve the data. In that case, a disk thrown into the wall can be taken in the lab, opened, the plates are put into a special and very, very expensive machine and it read one bit at a time until it recovers everything physically possible. The disk plates can even be dented, crooked, bent, the machine reads it. The are tons of programs for cracking all sorts of codes and with one small supercomputer (that FBI surely has) all your passwords are killed with speed and ease. There are programs for restoring your partitions as well... Get my point now? Smile

Also, would something like this be illegal? EMP IS highly illegal.

We are talking purely theoretical here...
What about fire? It's the fourth of July, and fireworks are gonna happen, and my inner-pyro is dancing around with glee... Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2013, 10:07 AM
Too much danger for you, too much noise, not sure will it destroy the plates that are inside the disk, that is inside the PC case. Explosions are unpredictable and to generate heat without explosion is too slow and they are also dangerous, because it is hard to control and contain high heat in a room, fire hazard and all that. You do not want to go to jail for arson and killing your neighbors, you want to be free from all charges, that is the prime purpose of this device.

Smile

And happy 4th of July to all you Americans.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
04-07-2013, 10:15 AM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2013 10:19 AM by DeepThought.)
(04-07-2013 09:57 AM)Filox Wrote:  OK, maybe you missed my point a bit. Sure, you can protect yourself in a lot of ways, but have you ever considered the market of real fucking criminals, people who are running away from FBI, CIA, NSA or something like that, not for us, regular torrent abusers? So, my invention is for SERIOUS fucking criminals, someone that police would really like to catch and they would use everything in their disposal to retrieve the data. In that case, a disk thrown into the wall can be taken in the lab, opened, the plates are put into a special and very, very expensive machine and it read one bit at a time until it recovers everything physically possible. The disk plates can even be dented, crooked, bent, the machine reads it. The are tons of programs for cracking all sorts of codes and with one small supercomputer (that FBI surely has) all your passwords are killed with speed and ease. There are programs for restoring your partitions as well... Get my point now? Smile

Also, would something like this be illegal? EMP IS highly illegal.

We are talking purely theoretical here...

You watch too many movies. The encrytion I'm talking about won't be cracked by any government any time in the next 200 years. Provided you use a proper pass phrase. Note, I said pass phrase not pass word. If encryption could be so easily broken governments wouldn't use it.

The only weakness to an encryption system is repeatedly being tortured or beaten untill you give up the keys.

Fuck hardcore criminals. Let them get caught. Are you a hardcore criminal? Lol...

Dont buy into that quantum computer magical decryption rubbish. Anyone proposing to instantly decrypt things with quantum computer must realize the weakness.

When you entangle a computation you get back an entangled answer. If you do a brute force attack on a cipher you will get back all possible answers all at once. Then you must disentangle the answer to get the one you want. So where is the massive time saving in quantum computing?

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
04-07-2013, 10:28 AM
Still, acid is the fastest and safest way to permanently destroy data, do you agree?

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
04-07-2013, 10:45 AM
(04-07-2013 10:28 AM)Filox Wrote:  Still, acid is the fastest and safest way to permanently destroy data, do you agree?

Smile

Its unproven. Some disks have multiple platters and the data is on both sides. Exposing it to oxygen will kill it, but it takes time.

How are you going to build this syringe device? Sounds complex and unreliable. Too many ways it can fail.

Its easy to contain an exposive and use the right amount if you know what your doing. That would be reliable. That combined with encryption. They would have no way of telling the difference between corrupted and encrypted data.

04-07-2013, 10:57 AM
If you had external drives there are about a thousand and one ways you could killswitch them. Most would take only a couple seconds. Not all of those are exactly practical, mind, but if you're that paranoid, you've def got options.

(04-07-2013 10:15 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  Dont buy into that quantum computer magical decryption rubbish. Anyone proposing to instantly decrypt things with quantum computer must realize the weakness.

When you entangle a computation you get back an entangled answer. If you do a brute force attack on a cipher you will get back all possible answers all at once. Then you must disentangle the answer to get the one you want. So where is the massive time saving in quantum computing?

That... isn't really how it works.

Quantum algorithms are in different complexity classes.

Whereas factorization is an exponential time problem for classical computers, it is a polynomial time problem for quantum computers.

... this is my signature!
04-07-2013, 11:10 AM
(04-07-2013 10:57 AM)cjlr Wrote:  If you had external drives there are about a thousand and one ways you could killswitch them. Most would take only a couple seconds. Not all of those are exactly practical, mind, but if you're that paranoid, you've def got options.

(04-07-2013 10:15 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  Dont buy into that quantum computer magical decryption rubbish. Anyone proposing to instantly decrypt things with quantum computer must realize the weakness.

That... isn't really how it works.

Quantum algorithms are in different complexity classes.

Whereas factorization is an exponential time problem for classical computers, it is a polynomial time problem for quantum computers.

Interesting... so provided scientists manage to get a quantum computer running with the right functionality what will it mean for encryption schemes that would take all the world's combined compute resources ~300years to decrypt?

I guess early quantum computers will be relatively puny at the beginning. Might take a while before they have serious impact on things.

04-07-2013, 11:22 AM
(04-07-2013 11:10 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  Interesting... so provided scientists manage to get a quantum computer running with the right functionality what will it mean for encryption schemes that would take all the world's combined compute resources ~300years to decrypt?

That's almost impossible to quantify. But for the sake of a figure, say all else is equal - compare an exponential algorithm O(e^n) with a polynomial algorithm O(n^x) (with x is an integer) on a hypothetical machine that can run either. For large n the difference is many orders of magnitude!

(04-07-2013 11:10 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  I guess early quantum computers will be relatively puny at the beginning. Might take a while before they have serious impact on things.

Oh, very much so, seeing as serious encryption involves numbers with hundreds of digits, and the world's most advanced quantum computers can only barely factorize two digit numbers.

But if we get a Quantum Moore's law going, it is still only a matter of decades before such traditional schemes are completely useless.

Fortunately, we already know of problems which remain 'hard' (exponential) for quantum computers, so for any serious application we're already future-proofed.

[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
10-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Filox do you know anything about Iphones? Apple products seem the be the tardest of all re-res. I've had to reset my phone for about the third times since I've had it (Got it around last October) and it's a pain in the butt. It's only an 8g Iphone 4, and eventually, files called "Other" take up almost 2 complete gigs of storage on my phone and I have to reset. Keep in mind, because I can't erase default apps (unless I jailbreak, which I've thought about - your thoughts on that, if you know anything about it?) I know that other can consists of several files, but even searching the apple forums, people are only guessing that Other consists of emails, text messages, notes, contacts, setttings, etc. But regardless of resetting setting, deleting texts or disabling connection to email, Other hardly budges. I found a way to temporarily reduce Other greatly, with a program called Diskaid that tracks spam files under your music folder of the phone, but I'd always have to re-sync my music, and it would eventually return in large amounts. And I really hate - I mean REALLY DESPISE - resetting my phone to factory settings and removing all content to reduce it, because usually in the process (even if I have my contents back up to my email and my camera roll backed up to my computer) I always end up missing a couple contacts or a few folders of pictures, and it's really irritating. I don't have working Wifi at my house either, so I can't really efficiently back up to the cloud. I just want to know how to keep Other permanently reduces.

Apple, you make me want to rip my eyeballs out of my head.
10-07-2013, 04:42 PM
(10-07-2013 04:07 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  ...
Apple products

Well, there's your problem.

[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post